What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Counting Crows - August And Everything After is at #14 even though it's been out for years now.

Top 500 .. or so they say.

Riding With The King is #446

I took advantage of the 20% sale and free shipping at the $49 level...I saved $8 on this one...and grabbed this one for$23.99...no tax and free shipping...the order came to $55.98

GREAT deal, Clint. You'll LOVE the Harry Belafonte disc. BTW, how is Carly Simon's first album on MoFi? I will be placing my order with MD on Monday. Still cannot quite decide what to order (evenly split between MoFi and AP SACD titles)....ANY recommendations?

I do have one VERY HIGH recommendation for you if you don't already have it: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-232033-jeff-buckley-grace-hybrid-sacd.aspx

GREAT deal, Clint. You'll LOVE the Harry Belafonte disc. BTW, how is Carly Simon's first album on MoFi? I will be placing my order with MD on Monday. Still cannot quite decide what to order (evenly split between MoFi and AP SACD titles)....ANY recommendations?

I do have one VERY HIGH recommendation for you if you don't already have it: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-232033-jeff-buckley-grace-hybrid-sacd.aspx

In regards to the Carly Simon SACD...it's good...not great...but good...I run into this situation on a lot of MoFi releases....sometimes it's the source and other times it's not...Rob LoVerde mastered it..and he has done some excellent work and some average work...he did a nice job on the Bob Dylan and The Band/Basement Tapes and with the source they had to work with...no easy task...if I were rating this one like I do on the surround polls...I'd give it a 7...in my grading scale anything from 7 to 10 is worth a purchase...it's been my experience lately that MoFi has the better content...and AP and AF do the better job in the sound quality department...the problem with MoFi is they are not very consistent in the sound quality department...maybe they don't do as good of a job as AF in selecting good projects...or may AF and AP have better people working on the projects...not sure...but you asked for some recommendations from music direct...so I will give you some...you probably already have some of these...but maybe someone else out there might want to take advantage of this 20% sale...the 20% does not apply to an item already on sale...

The best price I have seen for over a year on the Stevie Ray Vaughan set at $223.99 with the discount applied HERE
I have this Carly Simon Anticipation disc on order and you can get it for $23.99 HERE
Here is the Carly Simon I just posted about for $23.99 HERE
This is a steal at $51.99 for the 2 SACD set and it sounds amazing...if you don't have Nat King Cole this is your chance HERE
Another outstanding sounding disc and I don't even like country music but I love this disc...and for $23.99 Patsy Cline's disc is a bargain HERE
Considering the source this was taken from it's a very good job by Rob LoVerde with Bob Dylan and The Band/Basement Tapes for $19.99 HERE
Peter Paul and Mary In The Wind for $19.99 HERE

Remember only $49 gets you free shipping and use promo code LOVE20 and it ends tomorrow at midnight...keep in mind that 20% off rarely happens at these shops...especially with the free shpping amount as low as $49...so take advantage of it ..

In regards to the Carly Simon SACD...it's good...not great...but good...I run into this situation on a lot of MoFi releases....sometimes it's the source and other times it's not...Rob LoVerde mastered it..and he has done some excellent work and some average work...he did a nice job on the Bob Dylan and The Band/Basement Tapes and with the source they had to work with...no easy task...if I were rating this one like I do on the surround polls...I'd give it a 7...in my grading scale anything from 7 to 10 is worth a purchase...it's been my experience lately that MoFi has the better content...and AP and AF do the better job in the sound quality department...the problem with MoFi is they are not very consistent in the sound quality department...maybe they don't do as good of a job as AF in selecting good projects...or may AF and AP have better people working on the projects...not sure...but you asked for some recommendations from music direct...so I will give you some...you probably already have some of these...but maybe someone else out there might want to take advantage of this 20% sale...the 20% does not apply to an item already on sale...

The best price I have seen for over a year on the Stevie Ray Vaughan set at $223.99 with the discount applied HERE
I have this Carly Simon Anticipation disc on order and you can get it for $23.99 HERE
Here is the Carly Simon I just posted about for $23.99 HERE
This is a steal at $51.99 for the 2 SACD set and it sounds amazing...if you don't have Nat King Cole this is your chance HERE
Another outstanding sounding disc and I don't even like country music but I love this disc...and for $23.99 Patsy Cline's disc is a bargain HERE
Considering the source this was taken from it's a very good job by Rob LoVerde with Bob Dylan and The Band/Basement Tapes for $19.99 HERE
Peter Paul and Mary In The Wind for $19.99 HERE

Remember only $49 gets you free shipping and use promo code LOVE20 and it ends tomorrow at midnight...keep in mind that 20% off rarely happens at these shops...especially with the free shpping amount as low as $49...so take advantage of it ..

Thanks, Clint. I have the Carly Simon (debut album) On QUAD Open Reel but haven't played it in years. From my recollection, it was a superbly recorded album (Electra was somewhat of an audiophile label) so to rate it a 7 is rather disappointing.
I did manage to purchase the Nat King Cole Story from AmazonUS for about $45 (when Amazon was generous with their discounts) and do agree it's superb. The Stevie Ray Vaughan box set is a MUST purchase and I did buy it last year from ImportCD for a great price (remember AP is charging $100 for the BOX it comes in). I have the Patsy Kline disc and agree it's a must purchase. I don't know if you're familiar with Holly Cole....but her AP SACD "Temptation" (the songs of Tom Wait) is stunning and a superb audiophile treasure (heck, even the RBCD was demo quality). I have the two AF Peter Paul & Mary discs (fantastic) but am still awaiting PP&M Album 1700 (one of their finest) from AP as well as the Live in Concert SACD (announced roughly two years ago). Additionally, AF's Stereo SACD of Loggins & Messina's "Sittin' In" is a MUST purchase. What a fantastic sounding disc (and it's been confirmed NO QUAD masters exist for this title).

Again, decisions, decisions. But you're correct: 20% off with NO restrictions plus free shipping at $49 is unprecedented. I'm not so much into Dylan's The Basement Tapes (mixed reviews) so the upcoming AF 5.0 SACD Dylan Bootleg (the treasure hunt is on) will have to suffice for now.

Somewhere along the line this thread changed from it's original Stereo or Mono topic....so back to the basics...I'm giving this Hong Kong release a shot because I'm thirsty for content I love...I keep buying the AF releases and they haven't disappointed in the sound quality department...but not always in the content area...the most important consideration for me...and I keep buying the progressive releases done by Steven Wilson...not for the content...but for the sound quality...but I'm at the point where I have enough "wow" discs... I need more meat on the bone...content I like...so I'm willing to take chances to get better content..and this Hong Kong release is a step in that direction...one of my all time favorite tunes is Billy Ocean's Carribean Queen..and I can get it here and I hope it's better than the CD version....and several other songs I really like... 001.jpg
002.jpg

Somewhere along the line this thread changed from it's original Stereo or Mono topic....so back to the basics...I'm giving this Hong Kong release a shot because I'm thirsty for content I love...I keep buying the AF releases and they haven't disappointed in the sound quality department...but not always in the content area...the most important consideration for me...and I keep buying the progressive releases done by Steven Wilson...not for the content...but for the sound quality...but I'm at the point where I have enough "wow" discs... I need more meat on the bone...content I like...so I'm willing to take chances to get better content..and this Hong Kong release is a step in that direction...one of my all time favorite tunes is Billy Ocean's Carribean Queen..and I can get it here and I hope it's better than the CD version....and several other songs I really like...View attachment 25216
View attachment 25217

Yep, some great tunes on that one. :upthumb

Blind Faith - S/T SHM-SACD

If anyone is looking to pick this one up, you can get it for a great price at Deep Discount with the NOJOKE discount. Valid for everyone except cupboy, I think.
Mine was $31.76 w/shipping. I was amazed that they had it in stock, and even the regular price was the lowest I could find by a few dollars...

Blind Faith - S/T SHM-SACD

If anyone is looking to pick this one up, you can get it for a great price at Deep Discount with the NOJOKE discount. Valid for everyone except cupboy, I think.
Mine was $31.76 w/shipping. I was amazed that they had it in stock, and even the regular price was the lowest I could find by a few dollars...

I already had that SHM SACD. Got rid of it. They did a proper mastering of it later and kept the same SHM SACD on the market while releasing the new mastering on platinum SHM CD. Bought that one, and it sounds much better.

I already had that SHM SACD. Got rid of it. They did a proper mastering of it later and kept the same SHM SACD on the market while releasing the new mastering on platinum SHM CD. Bought that one, and it sounds much better.

Thanks, I'll take all that into account when I check it out. Are you saying that the second one was more of a flat transfer? Would you tell me what it says in the booklet?

Thanks, I'll take all that into account when I check it out. Are you saying that the second one was more of a flat transfer? Would you tell me what it says in the booklet?

I don't think the first one was a flat transfer at all, or wasn't from the original tape. The release date of the SHM SACD was 25 Aug 2010, quite some time before this mastering.

Read post #2 here.

blindfaithfacts.jpg

I don't think the first one was a flat transfer at all, or wasn't from the original tape. The release date of the SHM SACD was 25 Aug 2010, quite some time before this mastering.

Read post #2 here.

blindfaithfacts.jpg

Thanks very much for posting this, it definitely clears up some things I was wondering about, but hoped weren't the case. I've got around 25 of these now, including 8 of them from 2010. They've gotten much better with these since then, and show better detail in the booklets. I should've been more wary of this Blind Faith one, but I got ahead of myself I guess. If I like it as compared to the 2 disc Deluxe Edition, then I'll probably hang onto it but I know I'm probably not done yet trying to find the best edition. Maybe I can find a copy of the old MoFi for a good price...

I recently sold my MoFi. Didn't get all that much for it. Why not try the platinum SHM CD. I've got it playing right now. It comes in a white box full of goodies.

link to HMV

Last edited:
Back