What's your latest High Resolution Download purchased?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Seems that as so many labels are starting to do this we should maybe keep track of these too?
Just got last week:
Muse - The 2nd Law (24/96 FLAC) - still not had time to sit down & listen yet. Expensive too at almost £12 for a download with absolutely zero artwork. Seems to me that the label has made no effort here at all, and I will be testing the files extensively this week.

Just got the two post-Morrison Doors albums from HDTracks in 24/96. It's odd that you can get hi rez or MP3 but nothing in between.

None. I will never buy any music/movie product that offers no resale value. Toilet paper, sure, no problem there.

I bought the Muse off of HDTracks as well. That and Tori Amos's "Gold Dust" were my last two hi-rez purchases. You can do the testing, but neither sounded overcompressed in the least to me.

It's almost a relief not to have artwork, a jewel case, etc. It's about the music, as it should be.

I agree but I don't have much choice if I want that album in high res. and if I can burn it, whats to stop me from sharing the file?

If you ask me, I find it a ton more noble to share something for free on a file-sharing site than to make money on Ebay with it. Like I said above, it's about the music and, at the very least, the music is reaching more people instead of lining one guy's pockets.

I'll assume that's not a popular opinion around here.

The Muse 2nd Law HD download is a good one. It has much more dynamic range than the CD mastering.

The Muse 2nd Law HD download is a good one. It has much more dynamic range than the CD mastering.

Yes! The very reason I went for Sunken Condos. I bought the cd and liked it so much but there was something missing. The cymbal crash, the stick hitting it, fingers moving over guitar strings, stuff that I am used hearing by now. If it was offered in HR in store, of course I'll buy it. Kinda sucks, but if you want HR, the DL is the only way to obtain it. Just really glad I have an Oppo.

one question about HD tracks: are they really all Hi-REz files or may there be some upsampled versions of the CD? Im sure there are some true HI-REz, but all of them?

i guess HD stand for High Definition and i'm not sure how this is equal or not to termin High Resolution.
later one in an audio recording refers to recording, which were recorded at least @ 24 bit 96KHz original
source sound and such recording is not a majority of HDTracks offerings.
technically conversion even off first generation of analog Master Tape can offer only ~25KHz with -80dB
SNR dynamics which in digital domain is equal to 50KHz 16 bit, when recorded originally into digital @ 96KHz 24bit
sound would be by analog criteria 48KHz -144dB SNR.
given that on HDTracks many releases have unclear source of origin, it's will be premature and incorrect
to presume them as HiRez. to be honest, seems lot of releases on their site, comes from upsampled 44.1/16 sources

Just bought:

Megadeth - Countdown to Extintion
The Sword - Apocyphon
Linkin Park - Meteora,

before I had:

Deftones - Koi no Yokan
Nirvana - Nevermind
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Linkin Park - Livin Things
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn On Events

Big, Big Train - "English Electric Part 2" - great Genesis like prog - ordered direct from the band's site. Only 24/44.1 but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Currently there is a 10% discount code on hdtracks (march10) usable until March 31. I believe

They caught me with that small discout and I went for:

1 Yes - Fragile (flac 96/24)

2 Yes - Close To The Edge (flac $192/24)

3 Yes - The Yes Album flac 192/24)

4 Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight (flac 48/24)

5 Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns (flac 48/24)

6 Globus - Break From This World (flac 96/24)

7 The Pineapple Thief - All The Wars (flac 44.1/24)

Last edited:
I'll buy the DM album the moment it's up on HDTracks. Other than that, the last one I bought was Bowie's "The Last Day."

Can downloads really be called purchases? You pay a fee but you haven't really bought anything. You can't resell it since it's not yours and it's not an asset of any kind. Maybe we should start a thread on this in lawyers.com.

Can downloads really be called purchases? You pay a fee but you haven't really bought anything. You can't resell it since it's not yours and it's not an asset of any kind. Maybe we should start a thread on this in lawyers.com.

Of course a download is a purchase. You purchased a digital file. You're not streaming it. You can do as you wish with it.

There are plenty of things in this world you can purchase, but not re-sell.

Big, Big Train - "English Electric Part 2" - great Genesis like prog - ordered direct from the band's site. Only 24/44.1 but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Even though it's not obvious "English Electric Part 1" is also available in 24 bit on Bandcamp:

http://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/english-electric-part-one

What happened is that the Part 1 flacs were only released on Bandcamp as 24 bit but this, apparently, confused a number of buyers so they decided to offer Part 2 flacs at both 16 and 24 bit. Hence you only see one option for Part 1 flac download, but I can confirm with 100% certainty that it *is* 24 bit.

Back