When the lights shone brightly, 11 years ago...........

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold hi-fi in both eras. Nearly everybody knew of Quad in its' day, although most didn't want it. Expense and competing systems were the main objections. Yet, we did sell a fair amount of Quad gear.

Hardly anyone knew of DVD-A and SACD. Even when customers were made aware of it and it was demoed, most could have cared less. ALL the vast majority cared about is doing their movies in DD 5.1. Most of those were also worried about making those 6 speakers as inconspicuous as possible. Nearly EVERY client bought 5.1 systems. Few even cared about music, although I was at an upper mid-range salon in an affluent neighborhood.

You guys realize that more quad got made than dvd audio?

The average audio consumer just wants thier equipment to be loud and small. No regards to sound quality. Just loud and small. Maybe you can add easy to operate to that list too...

Other than the very limited esoteric audio market, which frowns on all that's not 2 ch, there IS NO AUDIO MARKET!! A portable market, computer market and video market is all that exists. All low-fi crap! Since there isn't a market for prerecorded music, why should we expect anything else?

The average audio consumer just wants thier equipment to be loud and small. No regards to sound quality. Just loud and small. Maybe you can add easy to operate to that list too...

There isn't a market for prerecorded music because the average consumer has been burnt too many times and finally said, "I'm tired of being stolen from, now the technology exists that I can steal from them. I'm just stealing from now on."

Also the non-stop format wars and disposable audio equipment and equipment that does not do what it is advertised to do has caused a halt to advancement

Right you are, QL. Remember back in the '70s when every home had a 'stereo', and folks were proud of their receivers and amplifiers? These days, these only exisit to support a TV and are rarely used for music. Music is now "personal", and even couples do not listen to the same music, thanks to iPods and car connections.

Instead of everyone in a family being forced to listen to whatever was playing by a family member (which is how I came to learn and appreciate the music of my parents), everyone has their own tunes. A husband may never know what his wife is listening to, and visa versa. "Sharing" and liking an album is pretty much shot, almost as much as the concept of the 'album'.

We don't hear new music on the radio, or even more important, at a friends house, because they rarely play music anymore anyway. The closest we get to getting someone we know to listen to something is to give them a CDR of the music to play in their car or rip to iPod.

Hey, that's the way of convenience, and it's not going back, but when's the last time you had anyone over to listen to music, and they sat in one place and listened to a complete 'side' of an album. Something that was commonplace in "the old days". (Hard to believe)

PS - Yeah, yeah. Soda was a dime, burgers were 15 cents, and movies could be seen for a few bucks or even 99 cents. We know, we're old........................ :)

as wonderful as the Internet is (look how it brings like-minded folk like us together, for example) once it gathered momentum and as connection speeds increased, it and downloads changed everything.

the resultant lack of a physical product, combined with file sharing ("free music!? yeay!") made recorded music more disposable and seem worth less (not worthless, I mean its' value was significantly lowered in the eyes of the masses) and so its become less important in the last 5-10 years than just about any other time in the history of recorded music.

I only have one friend now who comes over and we actually sit down, pour a couple of nice big glasses of wine, get comfy and really Listen to music together -- and that is because of our mutual love for quad and 5.1 music. stereo is not on the playlist (unless its being put through PLII or is a DTS upmix!).

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's a place for both that and 5.1. They both serve different purposes. I make very good use of both my IPhone AND my home theater, probably more the former than the latter even.

I also make use of my Spotify account to listen to new music, as well as the entire internet to raise my knowledge base of music. I buy from stores. I buy from Amazon. I buy from HDTracks.

Do I wish there was some better direction to current music, in pretty much any genre? Sure. I've also heard great albums this year and enjoy music of all eras, including the current one, just as much as I ever have.

You're right. Sadly, you're one of very few who feels that way.

As I said before, very few people use those home theater systems for anything beyond TV & movies. Music? That's what I used to listen to before there was VHS and cable. if they're too young to remember VHS, they probably never cared about music. Nor do they know or even care that MTV/VH1 ran any programming before the exploits of Snookie & da Situation.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's a place for both that and 5.1. They both serve different purposes. I make very good use of both my IPhone AND my home theater, probably more the former than the latter even.

I also make use of my Spotify account to listen to new music, as well as the entire internet to raise my knowledge base of music. I buy from stores. I buy from Amazon. I buy from HDTracks.

Do I wish there was some better direction to current music, in pretty much any genre? Sure. I've also heard great albums this year and enjoy music of all eras, including the current one, just as much as I ever have.

Of course!

I am lucky enough to have DVD-A in my car, but there's also a 64G iPod sitting in there with a ton of tunes on it, available with the turn of a dial on the dash. It's one way I discover which stereo tracks are good candidates for SPEC as if the car's Dolby PLII does a good job on the iPod tune, then SPEC usually does a great job on it as well. :)

EVERYONE likes convenience, that's why it's the new norm. To quote Sgt. Bradshaw, "You can't knock success!"

Ironically, I came across the receipt for my very 1st DVD-A purchase (while looking for another receipt)

December 18th, 2000
Doors: L.A. Woman (DVD-Audio) $17.98
Emerson, Lake And Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-Audio) $17.98

When I put these into that first JVC pig of a player (documented elsewhere), the sound was astounding!

These days, like many here, I am grateful for anything new in this format.

To take my mind off it, I am currently buying a ton of catalog CDs brand new cheap on eBay. Guess nobody can be bothered with CDs anymore so the prices are cheaper than the used CDs I was buying form The Wherehouse. The holes in my iTunes library are filling in quickly. I'll probably keep at least the CDs that I don't think will ever be pressed again.

The much delayed DVD-A/SACD auto project will occur this spring in conjunction with the restoration (25 years of ownership) of a Honda, special only to me. I think Audiovox makes a BD drive but probably insane to interface with so I'll hang back on that part.

Ironically, I came across the receipt for my very 1st DVD-A purchase tonight (while looking for another receipt).

December 18th, 2000
Doors: L.A. Woman (DVD-Audio) $17.98
Emerson, Lake And Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-Audio) $17.98

When I put these into that first JVC pig of a player (documented elsewhere), the sound was astounding!

These days, like many here, I am grateful for anything new in this format.

To take my mind off it, I am currently buying a ton of catalog CDs brand new cheap on eBay. Guess nobody can be bothered with CDs anymore so the prices are cheaper than the used CDs I was buying form The Wherehouse. The holes in my iTunes library are filling in quickly. I'll probably keep at least the CDs that I don't think will ever be pressed again.

The much delayed DVD-A/SACD auto project will occur this spring in conjunction with the restoration (25 years of ownership) of a Honda, special only to me. I think Audiovox makes a BD drive but probably insane to interface with so I'll hang back on that part.

most disappointing factor from this article is that main concern and motive back at introduction of DVDA
format, wasn't about expanding a new horizont and opportunities for the quality of the music but instead
about fight against piracy.
perhaps that's a reason, why music industry so badly lost during last decade.
instead to joint the force and capital to win consumers, industry did spend a fortune onto fight against
virtual, abstract enemies.

most disappointing factor from this article is that main concern and motive back at introduction of DVDA
format, wasn't about expanding a new horizont and opportunities for the quality of the music but instead
about fight against piracy.
perhaps that's a reason, why music industry so badly lost during last decade.
instead to joint the force and capital to win consumers, industry did spend a fortune onto fight against
virtual, abstract enemies.

Agreed.

It certainly speaks to a lack of focus on actual quality mixes and more of making sure you can't rip them which they, of course, failed at.

The longer they keep chasing the copyright boogeyman, the worse they're going to be. Of course, can it get any worse than the pickle the industry's in now?

Back