Who are your favorite Canadian musical artists and what would you like to see them release in Multi-Channel form?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he was an artist, not so much musically but........Alex Trebek

And here he is with fellow Canadian @steelydave:
alex-trebek-will-ferrell-jeopardy-saturday-night-live-1244205-1280x0.jpeg

Of course Joni. Her whole collection would be nice. Maybe a few of Neil's albums would be okay.

Lots of current talent that I love, including Whitehorse and Kathleen Edwards. Kathleen's new album is really good, btw.

Someone mentioned Klaatu. I'm for that as well as Cano, another lost band from the 70s.
Klaatu's entire catalog was remastered in 24 bit / 176Khz sampling. Several years ago I asked Terry Draper if their catalog was available for download in Hi Rez.
At that time, He was looking for a Canadian based hosting site. I as far as I know, that never happened. I asked Dave Bradley who manages the Klaatu internet site about remixing in 5.1 Klaatu's back catalog and he said the band wasn't really interested in that.

Simple as stated above list your favorite Canadian artists and what you'd like to see them release in Multi-Channel form

Neil Young - Entire Catalogue
Rush - Whatever hasn't been done
Joni Mitchell - Entire Catalogue
The Guess Who - Whatever hasn't been done
BTO - Let's get a Quadio like box set of them please
Kim Mitchell - Greatest Hits
Max Webster - Complete Catalogue

I think that's good for starters:SB
The Max Webster catalogue would be fantastic! They released CD and vinyl box sets of all their albums a couple of years ago, but sadly no surround mixes. A missed opportunity.

Klaatu's entire catalog was remastered in 24 bit / 176Khz sampling. Several years ago I asked Terry Draper if their catalog was available for download in Hi Rez.
At that time, He was looking for a Canadian based hosting site. I as far as I know, that never happened. I asked Dave Bradley who manages the Klaatu internet site about remixing in 5.1 Klaatu's back catalog and he said the band wasn't really interested in that.

If that sentiment ever changed/changes, I would happily put them in touch with my overlords at Dutton Vocalion.

Aside from them, I think Chilliwack have at least enough classic bangers for an excellent 5.1 greatest hits, and a lot of Chromeo's stuff, especially their first couple of albums, would make great surround mixes, and of course The Tragically Hip, who are revered up here kind of the way Oasis are in the UK, or Tom Petty in the US.

The Max Webster catalogue would be fantastic! They released CD and vinyl box sets of all their albums a couple of years ago, but sadly no surround mixes. A missed opportunity.
Yes I fully agree....I stream the box set on TIDAL....I also think D-V would do an AWESOME job mixing them in MULTI-CHANNEL....HINT HINT HINT😊

Last edited:
Yes I fully agree....I stream the box set on TIDAL....I also think D-V would do an AWESOME job mixing them in MULTI-CHANNEL....HINT HINT HINT😊
Haha! That would be great! It doesn't look like Max Webster had any quad mixes done back in the day. Does D-V do any multi-channel mixing themselves? The D-V releases I have are all remasters of '70's quad titles.

I think this is true for the most part. To my knowledge, they have only fixed a few tracks themselves in order to make complete albums. The Paul Revere release comes to mind.

Mike has remixed several classical albums in their entirety in discrete surround from the multitracks, most recently the Bernstein/NY Philharmonic Poulenc/Stravinsky half of a two-fer (CDLX 7383). The only reason there hasn't been more surround mixing in the pop realm is that the major labels zealously hold on to those multitracks for their own uses, ie Atmos mixing, Rock Band/Guitar Hero-type video games, etc. The Dutton studio is fully equipped with all the equipment necessary for a quad remix, with all the vintage plates, compressors, quad panners, etc.

Haha! That would be great! It doesn't look like Max Webster had any quad mixes done back in the day. Does D-V do any multi-channel mixing themselves? The D-V releases I have are all remasters of '70's quad titles.
That’s a GREAT ? Can anyone confirm this one way or another?

I'm not much into head banging music and only do prog in limited doses, so a lot of this thread hasn't resonated with me personally (and that's okay, each to their own) but I do agree that KD Lang, Ingénue would make a wonderful surround disc. I also would like to hear the Lorenna McKennet.

One I'm surprised wasn't mentioned is Barenaked Ladies. The production on tracks like "One Week" would very much lend itself to an Atmos presentation IMHO.

The two which would really excite me are from the alt-country genre and I think have a snowball's chance in LA of ever happening. I also suspect that many here have never heard of either one. Blue Rodeo - Five Days in July is mostly acoustic and probably wouldn't be the type of music one would associate with surround, but their work is very layered and I always think of steel guitar as a sound that lends itself to atmospherics. It's not well known in the US but is considered to be a classic in Canada. Lastly I will say Kathleen Edwards just because she is my favorite Canadian musician.

(You have to get about two minutes into the song before the whole band kicks in, don't judge off the very sparse intro/first verse.)

(Maybe the most quintessentially Canadian music video ever made. I just adore her.)

Harmonium & Klaatu would be more than enough to satisfy me, but both are extremely unlikely I would guess.

I'd like to hear some Karkwa in surround. Their music is very well recorded and would sound awesome with a discrete 5.1 surround mix. Their frontman even has is own studio where he produces other bands.

Back