Why no 2L albums in surround polls?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoopy8

I am new here and must apologise if this opens up an old wound.

Wondering why there are no 2L albums in the surround polls? Magnificat will surely be high up in the polls. Was there a dispute a long time ago that resulted in 2L pulling out? It is a shame that their albums do not appear in what is the most comprehensive list of MCH music anywhere.

Wondering why there are no 2L albums in the surround polls? Magnificat will surely be high up in the polls. Was there a dispute a long time ago that resulted in 2L pulling out? It is a shame that their albums do not appear in what is the most comprehensive list of MCH music anywhere.
Welcome, Snoop. Because the membership here tends to favor rock, pop, and soul, you won't see many polls for classical, jazz, or even hip-hop titles, although there are exceptions. (Also: a poll won't show up in the charts until it has at least 10 votes--although you might find a "hidden" poll by using the site's general search box rather than the poll search box.) That said: the 2L label is well known by many members, and as you surmised, titles like Magnificat have even had some "crossover" appeal.

Classical heads hang out on the "General Classical" thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-classical-music-general-discussion-thread.25804/
@mkt recently started a thread devoted to classical Atmos titles on the streaming services:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...olby-atmos-streaming-classical-edition.34504/

Last edited:

From what I know, most if not all 2L recordings are classical, and around here, that’s a pretty small niche. I’m about 50/50 between classical and rock, so there’s still plenty to keep my interests going here, but I can’t help but wish that there were more discussion of classical recordings.

I agree with you about 2L. I also agree with the other replies you've gotten that the majority of focus here is rock. But I also think that most here would be amazed at the quality and presence of the recordings and surround mixes of Morten Linberg (one of the 2 L's). Folks here do appreciate great surround mixes that use the surrounds for maximum immersion so maybe some could be inspired to them a try.

I'll add to your list: The Engegard String Quartet recordings (particularly the red album cover) - Divertimenti - In Folk Style - Souvenir. These all sound fantastic. I'm also going to go give the suggested classical general discussion thread a try.

Welcome, Snoop. Because the membership here tends to favor rock, pop, and soul, you won't see many polls for classical, jazz, or even hip-hop titles, although there are exceptions. (Also: a poll won't show up in the charts until it has at least 10 votes--although you might find a "hidden" poll by using the site's general search box rather than the poll search box.) That said: the 2L label is well known by many members, and as you surmised, titles like Magnificat have even had some "crossover" appeal.

Classical heads hang out on the "General Classical" thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-classical-music-general-discussion-thread.25804/
@mkt recently started a thread devoted to classical Atmos titles on the streaming services:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...olby-atmos-streaming-classical-edition.34504/
The general classical thread where we are supposed to go reminds me of the separate classical room in the back of Tower Records :)

Perhaps more members would be interested in 2L albums if they think of them as excellent quality acoustic instrumentals (some with vocals (choral)) by highly skilled performers in brilliant sounding HiRes and surround. (Some traditional classical, some lesser known Scandavian compositions and many contemporary compositions, including ”atmospheric“ pieces

Hallelujah for that! Its all allocentric, catholic cathedrals after Constantine are to blame for allocentric surround sound, largely the orchestra in the front with room echo and people coughing in the rear, YUCK, give me an egocentric quad like immersive envelopment any day!

For those interested, 2L does have a 77 minute sampler available which comes in a combo pack of 1 Multi~CH SACD and a BD~A. You can visit this site for audio samples:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/The-Nordic-Sound-Blu-Ray-Audio-SACD/hnum/7955193
The Nordic Sound (Blu-Ray Audio & SACD), 1 Blu-ray Audio und 1 Super Audio CD

Last edited:
2L releases be well good. Fidelity, mix and content all 10's. I've got one where you can hear the playa's in orchestra taking big breaths though and dang, it's annoying. I guess subsequent mixes were adequately mic'd/de-breathed.

2L also have the brains to make their multichannel files available for download so you don't have to pay shipping for a disc, ripadeedoodah it, then file it away (why these aren't available on other sites mystifies me).

Loads of file types available here: All releases

This thread has prompted me to sample some of the 2L catalog, both in hi-res stereo (Qobuz) and in Atmos (Apple Music). I like what I hear. What are the must-have discs one should start with? I think I will get the sampler and then 1 or 2 others to start. I like both classical and jazz. I sampled Quiet Winter Night (Hoff Ensemble) and while it sounded incredible, I have to admit I prefer my jazz with no vocals, so I am on the lookout for a good small group jazz instrumental disc.

This thread has prompted me to sample some of the 2L catalog, both in hi-res stereo (Qobuz) and in Atmos (Apple Music). I like what I hear. What are the must-have discs one should start with? I think I will get the sampler and then 1 or 2 others to start. I like both classical and jazz. I sampled Quiet Winter Night (Hoff Ensemble) and while it sounded incredible, I have to admit I prefer my jazz with no vocals, so I am on the lookout for a good small group jazz instrumental disc.
See what you think about Home and Polarity. Recent ones I enjoyed.

My personal favs, to this point:

Mass for Modern Man
Yggdrasil
Borders

There is clearly enough 2L listeners on the forum. But who decides when to start a poll? And can they be releases made some time ago? If so, then suggest starting with Sampler, Magnificat (best seller) and Lux (Grammy winner).

Then it becomes a judgement call on when to start a new 2L poll. Most of the albums in the polls are remixed well known recordings by popular artists. 2L releases new recordings with relatively unknown artists often playing not popular music. New 2L polls will likely be driven by members feedback here.

Back