Would you be interested in Seals & Crofts Quadio's?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be interested in Seals & Crofts Quadio Discs?

• Total voters
And even the under 50 crowd can appreciate the craftsmanship of tunesmiths from another era who blended melody with clever lyrics, awesome hooks some of which are still sampled to this day and memorable riffs which have withstood the test of time
At 22 years old I’m amazed that there were albums like that coming out within a matter of days from each other.

Take late 1969 for example:

September 22: The Band Self Titled
September 26: Beatles Abbey Road
October 10: Frank Zappa Hot Rats, King Crimson ITCOTCK, The Kinks Arthur
October 22: Led Zeppelin II
October 29: CCR Willy and The Poor Boys
November 4: Allman Bros Self Titled
November 14: David Bowie Space Oddity
December 5: Stones Let It Bleed

Hard to believe there was so much creativity like that emerging weekly, a stark contrast to the new stuff we hear today.

At 22 years old I’m amazed that there were albums like that coming out within a matter of days from each other.

Take late 1969 for example:

September 22: The Band Self Titled
September 26: Beatles Abbey Road
October 10: Frank Zappa Hot Rats, King Crimson ITCOTCK, The Kinks Arthur
October 22: Led Zeppelin II
October 29: CCR Willy and The Poor Boys
November 4: Allman Bros Self Titled
November 14: David Bowie Space Oddity
December 5: Stones Let It Bleed

Hard to believe there was so much creativity like that emerging weekly, a stark contrast to the new stuff we hear today.
This Seals and Croft's tune from 1973's DIAMOND GIRL might be taken out of context but IMO it sums up the astounding output of the late 60's early 70's when album after album seemed to earn some modicum of CLASSIC status:

My grandkids would disagree with you. And my parents thought that all of the creative stuff you have mentioned was totally shit. (Exception: Mom and dad loved Something because it sounded like material from 50 years earlier. Back then there was The Beatles and then came everyone else.)

I would enthusiastically buy Quadio Box featurining only Seals & Crofts or their individual quad titles. They wrote many beautiful tunes pleasing to the ear. Castles In the Sand, Ledges, We May Never Pass This Way Again etc. Very little filler in their catalog. Those harmonies were gorgeous and they could stradle the fence between folk, pop, light r&b, and country without sacrificing their art. I've heard Summer Breeze in quad and although the mix is not that adventurous, I enjoy listening to it from time to time.

Some additional discussion about S&C in this Jim Seals obit thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/rip-jim-seals-dead-at-80-seals-crofts.32542/(Also a link posted there by @Tres Discrete to a great story in Texas Monthly.)

As for whether they're strictly a "period" act that hasn't aged well...I don't know. There's a lot of stuff from the 70s--including most of the first batch of Quadios, TBH (you're not alone, @privateuniverse!)--that doesn't do much for me, and never did. But I always thought Seals & Crofts were more interesting than many of their soft-rock peers: they could write good pop hooks, but their song structures were often more complex, with lots of cool jazz harmonies and modulations. Personally I'd still take Joni Mitchell or Randy Newman or Gordon Lightfoot or James Taylor (in that order) over Seals & Crofts--but then again I'd also take any of those four over America or Bread/David Gates or Jackson Browne or even The Eagles. (Let the tar-and-feathering begin!) Anyway, I think S&C's best tunes hold up pretty well, all things considered. But a personalized Greatest Hits compilation would probably do me just fine.

I'd Rather see S&G than S&C I am also 52.
52 means you're of drinking age.

Here's your S&G...

s320342397388410607_p19_i2_w3299.jpeg

This is just a question for me. FR has not asked me to do this. I was just wondering how Seals & Crofts stuff has fared over the years with the listening public.

Would you be interested in S&C Quadio's or would you rather see other titles come out first.

As for me, although I liked a few of their tunes back in the day, I don't think I would listen to them at all today

Super YES for me

Regards,

Of course we would buy it. It’s not as if there was an unlimited amount of Quad titles available back in the day. I look at the titles for what they are, historical recordings of importance worth saving.

It’s not about what I would like or not, it’s still about saving the material in its best from while we can. Let’s persevere and buy these titles, then have a discussion about the music. We’re talking about top selling artists from back in the day, that had big hits played on the radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seals_and_Crofts

So it sounds like a lot of folks like them and would buy, and a bunch more don't exactly love them but will buy them to support the quad releases on physical disc.

It's not like it's bad music or anything.

Last edited:
For me:
1. Not at the expense of a harder rock release;
2. Only as single album discs (vs. a set like Chicago) unless they put two albums on a disc.

Of course we would buy it. It’s not as if there was an unlimited amount of Quad titles available back in the day. I look at the titles for what they are, historical recordings of importance worth saving.

It’s not about what I would like or not, it’s still about saving the material in its best from while we can. Let’s persevere and buy these titles, then have a discussion about the music. We’re talking about top selling artists from back in the day, that had big hits played on the radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seals_and_Crofts
When I first joined this forum I purchased a lot of music that I never knew about "back in the day"...and some styles of music I thought I wouldn't like...but ended up liking...because of quad or 5.1 ..some music I liked I ended up loving because of the sound improvement....but SUMMER BREEZE is an awesome song...in any format....Jim Seals died in 2022...

When I first joined this forum I purchased a lot of music that I never knew about "back in the day"...and some styles of music I thought I wouldn't like...but ended up liking...because of quad or 5.1 ..some music I liked I ended up loving because of the sound improvement....but SUMMER BREEZE is an awesome song...in any format....Jim Seals died in 2022...
Clinty, looks like the PROs far outweigh the CONs according to Jon's Poll. And forget how you've heard these albums in the past on CD~4 or OR formats...
Mastered directly from the 15 ips master QUAD tape and transferred to BD~A in 192/24 resolution can you only imagine how spectacular these albums will sound?

Honestly, I'll never tire of Summer Breeze. Even though I realize it was not their intent with that song....it so reminds me of 1970's in central Illinois. Wonderful memories with that song. OK, so humor me...here we go.

1972 was when the song was released....but...

I was a very impressionable 13 year old, growing up on a farm. I was asked from a group of older girls to join their crew pulling weeds from soybean fields. I agreed. I think I had a big crush on all of them because they sort of "flirted" with me. Uh, yeah. They were old enough to drive. lmaaaao

Every morning for about 1 month, they would pick me up at 5am, and the big AM 89 WLS out of Chicago was the station of choice. Summer Breeze was still a major hit, and seemed to play every morning in their car. I was smitten with the song, and with the girls.

Memories are amazing....

Back