HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
I am using analog outputs from my Oppo too, and I also noticed a slight (yet noticeable) improvement in the bass when using the DTS-HD track.

I also have my Oppo connected to my Emotiva pre-pro using HDMI. Next time I play the disk I will try using HDMI to see if the same increase in bass occurs. I will ensure the pre-pro uses the same sound mode for both streams.

YES, I finally got my copy yesterday just minutes before I got home. This was so much fun to listen to and now I understand what some others were saying about this both good and bad.
I don't like fiddling to much with my surround setup so main thing I like doing is sitting in what I think is the sweet spot but I found I was sitting to close to the back speakers as the counter vocals done by Steve Howe,Chris Squire was louder than Jon Anderson's so on next listen through I positioned my chair more forward and that was much better. My drive into work this morning listened in the car and again sounded awesome.
I want to do a few more listens before voting but initial impression is this is getting max score and might even need to go to 11 as Nigel would say in Spinal Tap.
I am grinning ear to ear as to finally being able to listen to this for the next week and beyond.
YES are amazing and Steven Wilson has done another great job on this.

Maybe this has been said before, but my Denon Receiver will not pass low frequencies present in the LRC and surrounds if there is audio present on the subwoofer analog input. I find I get much better bass if I remix the disks to 5.0 or put a bass manager between the analog outs on the Oppo and the analog inputs on the Denon. I haven't tried just disconnecting the subwoofer input analog input. You'd think that would work as well as remixing for 5.0.

The main reason I remix for 5.0 is because my car player has the same issue and there is no way to unplug the subwoofer in there.

I understand some of the newer receivers give you more options with the analog inputs.

You're probably looked at this but does your Denon have the option to set your mains, center, and surrounds to small? On some systems, if set to large, the reciever will not pass info to the sub.
Unless your speakers can handle very low frequencies, they should be set to small. If they can, the sub is pretty useless for music in most cases as music rarely outputs very low frequencies.

If they are set to small, is the crossover in the reciever set correctly? 80 is a good starting point depending on your speakers.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm asking stupid questions, just trying to help!

You're probably looked at this but does your Denon have the option to set your mains, center, and surrounds to small? On some systems, if set to large, the reciever will not pass info to the sub.
Unless your speakers can handle very low frequencies, they should be set to small. If they can, the sub is pretty useless for music in most cases as music rarely outputs very low frequencies.

If they are set to small, is the crossover in the reciever set correctly? 80 is a good starting point depending on your speakers.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm asking stupid questions, just trying to help!

Yes, the Denon has the option, but the crossover circuitry is disabled if you use the analog inputs. This was common in the early days of multi-channel analog inputs; which is why I mentioned it. Like I said, later receivers allow managing the bass on the analog inputs; which may be why you can't find bass management components anymore.

Good excuse for an Upgrade :)

Yeah, I've been tempted many times, but I would have to pay up to match the sound coming out of the Denon 5803. And it has 2 sets of multi-channel analog inputs. I haven't found a single receiver with this option other than the old Denon 58xx line (now no longer in production.)

Yeah, I've been tempted many times, but I would have to pay up to match the sound coming out of the Denon 5803. And it has 2 sets of multi-channel analog inputs. I haven't found a single receiver with this option other than the old Denon 58xx line (now no longer in production.)

Wow - I'd love a (modern) receiver with 2 sets of analog inputs.. especially with having a 83SE & and a Surround Master...

Wow - I'd love a (modern) receiver with 2 sets of analog inputs.. especially with having a 83SE & and a Surround Master...

That's about the way I've got it hooked up, though I have a Zektor HDS4.1 on the second input with the Surround Master attached to it (among other things.) The Oppo gets the first input all to its own, of course. :)

Yes, the Denon has the option, but the crossover circuitry is disabled if you use the analog inputs. This was common in the early days of multi-channel analog inputs; which is why I mentioned it. Like I said, later receivers allow managing the bass on the analog inputs; which may be why you can't find bass management components anymore.

I just wanted to add that Tunatamer reminded me that the Oppo has bass management built in. So you could enable this option at the Oppo to mix the bass properly before the analog inputs of your receiver. The main thing is that on these early receivers, you need to employ some sort of bass management before the analog inputs. Especially if you have small mains and surrounds.

without a doubt one of my fave Yes releases...the new stereo mix is just gorgeous....the surround mix is also pretty good..my biggest qualm however is (and I swear to God, I thought I would NEVER say something like this) I felt the bass was just too loud and overwhelming..going to give it another shot with the subwoofer disconnected (I'm an apartment dweller and want to be respectful to the neighbors without depriving myself of this amazing album in surround).

Getting this a bit late has been a bit of bonus for me. My expectations for this were very high - perhaps unrealisticallly so. Spending the last few weeks reading about the criticisms of this disc had tempered my expectations - I was close to being "bummed" - a phrase I have not used in quite a long time. Well my copy arrived yesterday - I have to say, I don't get it - it sounds fantastic! Everything I hoped it would be. The mix, bass, vocals, extra content - a definite wow! A 10! And unapologetically so!

I do have one complaint however. When an iconic release such as this comes along, it brings new members out of the woodwork - perhaps long time lurkers or dormant members that have finally decided to join the fray. Great! The more the merrier. I understand that from Jon's perspective this is all good. I wish that there were some way to prevent members (any members but especially new members or "one timers") from voting on a poll without leaving a comment or explanation as to why they voted a particular way. I'm fine with the 5's or even the 1's - just back up your rationale with a reason why. This poll is an important tool - perhaps QQ's most powerful one. Programming a filter to correct this may be easier said than done - so I implore the membership here - back up your vote - have the strength of your convictions!

Getting this a bit late has been a bit of bonus for me. My expectations for this were very high - perhaps unrealisticallly so. Spending the last few weeks reading about the criticisms of this disc had tempered my expectations - I was close to being "bummed" - a phrase I have not used in quite a long time. Well my copy arrived yesterday - I have to say, I don't get it - it sounds fantastic! Everything I hoped it would be. The mix, bass, vocals, extra content - a definite wow! A 10! And unapologetically so!

I do have one complaint however. When an iconic release such as this comes along, it brings new members out of the woodwork - perhaps long time lurkers or dormant members that have finally decided to join the fray. Great! The more the merrier. I understand that from Jon's perspective this is all good. I wish that there were some way to prevent members (any members but especially new members or "one timers") from voting on a poll without leaving a comment or explanation as to why they voted a particular way. I'm fine with the 5's or even the 1's - just back up your rationale with a reason why. This poll is an important tool - perhaps QQ's most powerful one. Programming a filter to correct this may be easier said than done - so I implore the membership here - back up your vote - have the strength of your convictions!

This is a very good idea.
In the beginning I also voted without comments. But I decided, that it needs some explenation to understand for the other members.
Specially the 1 or 10 voters comments are needed.
But another point I already wrote would integrate all 5.1 releases to a poll.
I think there is no reason, why DTS-mixes are not qualified for a position in the poll as there are also very good soundings available.
Steven Wilson himself said, that he can't barely hear a difference between DTS and High-Rez!

So...my wish is, make a poll with all 5.1 releases and prevent votings without comments.

Yesterday I heard the DTS-HD stream for the first time.
I have to say I prefer it over the PCM.
Eveything might be not so seperated and clear, but it holds the whole mix more together and the bass is a little more presented.
But as I voted with a 9 I can stay with it! :banana:

I bought the LP when it first came out based on having heard a track on the wireless.

I found myself distinctly unimpressed by the LP.

I thought I'd give it another chance, and the 5.1 mix makes it for me. Superb mix, excellent sound, music not my first choice but definitely worth a listen.

I bought the LP when it first came out based on having heard a track on the wireless.

I found myself distinctly unimpressed by the LP.

I thought I'd give it another chance, and the 5.1 mix makes it for me. Superb mix, excellent sound, music not my first choice but definitely worth a listen.

It's not surprising that you feel this way. A lot of prog music is very complex and many movements can be rendered to a din if the media / mastering cannot handle it properly. This latest hi-res, multi-channel issue really shines at presenting the complexities of the music without sonically falling apart. For example, I don't find myself turning down the volume at around the 7 minute mark of Siberian Khatru. While not as much of a step change as the Bluray of Aqualung, this Bluray/DVD-A of Close to the Edge is well worth it.

Another album which I did not fully appreciate until I got the hi-res, MC DVD-A is Steely Dan's Gaucho. While the redbook CD of this album is very good, only the MC hi-res truly brings out the fine textures of this music.

Yesterday I heard the DTS-HD stream for the first time.
I have to say I prefer it over the PCM.
Eveything might be not so seperated and clear, but it holds the whole mix more together and the bass is a little more presented.
But as I voted with a 9 I can stay with it! :banana:

I've just been listening again to CTTE and SK between the 2 streams (or is it 2 rivers in Yes's case!), and my conclusion is:

I also prefer DTS HD for CTTE (more bass and overall power), but for SK its still LPCM for me. With SK and DTS HD there is possibly too much bass in places, and this wasn't a track that I thought lacked power in LPCM anyway.

As for your earlier comments about the lead vocal being too loud in CTTE, in my system I would say that it depends on where I am positioned. If I am in my usual listening position, nearer the rear speakers than the front, then I think that the vocals sound perfect, with the lead vocal at the front well balanced with the backing vocals from the rears. If I move though nearer to the front of the room, then I would agree that maybe the lead vocal does seem a little loud. This issue is only on CTTE on this album. Also, I've never thought this before with other 5.1 albums where the lead vocal is primarily from the front centre speaker.

On an unrelated topic - has this website been down a few times in the last few days, or was it just me? Annoyingly one time that this happened was when Steven Wilson was on here answering some of our questions!

I've just been listening again to CTTE and SK between the 2 streams (or is it 2 rivers in Yes's case!), and my conclusion is:

I also prefer DTS HD for CTTE (more bass and overall power), but for SK its still LPCM for me. With SK and DTS HD there is possibly too much bass in places, and this wasn't a track that I thought lacked power in LPCM anyway.

As for your earlier comments about the lead vocal being too loud in CTTE, in my system I would say that it depends on where I am positioned. If I am in my usual listening position, nearer the rear speakers than the front, then I think that the vocals sound perfect, with the lead vocal at the front well balanced with the backing vocals from the rears. If I move though nearer to the front of the room, then I would agree that maybe the lead vocal does seem a little loud. This issue is only on CTTE on this album. Also, I've never thought this before with other 5.1 albums where the lead vocal is primarily from the front centre speaker.

On an unrelated topic - has this website been down a few times in the last few days, or was it just me? Annoyingly one time that this happened was when Steven Wilson was on here answering some of our questions!

Yes, the site was down, also today.

My hearing position is the favorite of Mr. Wilson.
I sit between my rears. They are not behind me.
And I came to this conclusion by comparing it to other recordings.
Yesterday when I heard the DTS-HD stream it was a different experience...now the vox were more integrated.
So I will hear it from now on in DTS-HD.
As you mentioned I also think that SK is better in PCM.

Hi elmer, :)

Agreed on all points.

Don't worry bout the low scores, that's mostly from our German friends. They are still a little sore about WWII and the Brittish.... YES being from England... just don't mention the war, whatever you do! ;) (Fawlty Towers, anybody???)

[video=youtube;yfl6Lu3xQW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0&list=PL78199F58B9CB9B31[/video]

Seriously:

I do think I may have found a reason for some of the debate on the CTTE sound quality/value judgements.

For better or worse, Steven Wilson did a LOT of dead center channel mixing on this. (Especiall on And You And I),the kick drum, the main vocal, Rick's main synth lines, etc... I think for this particular mix, one's sound system must really be setup perfect or the sounds will blend and not stand out quite like SW is trying to deliver through his mix. I have hearing issues with the synth and various volume level issues, but I think I need to really have my system setup better, and that will solve most issues. I do think that when Steven Wilson mixes, he assumes we have 5.1 full range speakers and set up correctly. If we don't, the mix will sound a bit(or more) off.

To those coming out of the woodwork and posting:

Welcome! Keep it coming and don't be afriad to bring your sense of humor! :D

Back