HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
I got mine yesterday. Initially I couldn't play the Blu-ray, as it neither autoplayed, nor responded to any combination of pressing enter and start (including the recommended three enters) with anything other than track numbers ticking over and silence. My surround audio is part of a home cinema that requires pulling a large screen over blacked-out windows, so I dislike discs that won't play without a screen - a mercifully rare occurrence.

Once I had begrudgingly pulled down the screen and fired up the projector, it was all systems go, and I have to say that the audio is shockingly good - incredible quality, separation of instruments, use of soundstage and warmth. No time for a fulsome review, but this is by miles the best version of CTTE I've ever heard, and a superb addition to the 5.1 canon. I was thinking of giving it 9, as I've always felt that there are better 5.1 mixers than Steven Wilson but, given how much I enjoyed listening to the album again last night, I scored it a 10. It would have been churlish not to.

I got mine yesterday. Initially I couldn't play the Blu-ray, as it neither autoplayed, nor responded to any combination of pressing enter and start (including the recommended three enters) with anything other than track numbers ticking over and silence. My surround audio is part of a home cinema that requires pulling a large screen over blacked-out windows, so I dislike discs that won't play without a screen - a mercifully rare occurrence.

Could you not get a small 7" monitor that could act as a second monitor for such occasions? I had a similar problem when playing back certain discs on my second 5.1 setup in my office/studio. I just bought a small travel monitor (typically used in caravans) that accepts a SCART or composite output from my disc player. Works a treat for discs with menus :)

Have you tried teh red green blue yellow buttons whne mine starts in the player i get teh option to choose teh Audio stream from there then I am sure on teh main screen i can just prss play.

Could you not get a small 7" monitor that could act as a second monitor for such occasions? I had a similar problem when playing back certain discs on my second 5.1 setup in my office/studio. I just bought a small travel monitor (typically used in caravans) that accepts a SCART or composite output from my disc player. Works a treat for discs with menus :)

I did this as well, finding a 'fold-down' screen from a minivan at a garage sale for $1; it ran off of 12v, and had a composite input, so it can also show the on-screen display that doesn't go out through the component inputs. Mounted it under a shelf on the cabinet, and I can fold it in or out as needed.

My first time ever hearing this album. So good. I prefer the lower res DTS-HD MA(48khz) to the LPCM(96khz) which for me is a bit too bright. The mix is wonderful and the music is stunning. I'm really looking forward to SW's remix of Fragile (not confirmed) which is the Yes I really know. Anyone who has the Rhino 5.1 of Fragile has to be waiting with bated breath after hearing the magic on this new CTTE mix.

I've had my copy for several days now and have had a chance to play it several times. I definitely have zero complaints about the surround mix. The choice of instrument placement and the overall surround effect is great. Of the past three recent releases that I care most about, Van Morrison Moondance, Jethro Tull Benefit and this one, musically this would be my least favorite. I've never been a huge Yes fan and though I've heard this album in the past, it's not among my favorite Yes albums. With all that said, I am really pleased with this release. It is a fun listening experience and it is growing on me with each listen. Even though it's not my favorite album I'd still give it a 9 for the excellent surround sound mix.

Well I didn't want to vote to soon as I wanted to live with the album again like I did years ago. Its strange but after listening to prog in my early listening years I then settled into completely different bands in the 80's,90's,00's but in past few years have been going back to prog releases and much of that is to do with the great remixes done in surround. CTTE is one of the classic albums of all times and SW has done a masterful job. Now after listening to it for almost 2 weeks I have really fallen in love with the album all over again and just like Jon said when he had it in his car I can't remove it from my car either, only difference(Jon said he was pressing replay on first 2 tracks) is I am listening through all 3 songs over and over again and am not tiring of it at all. The only time I switch something up is when I skip to the bonus track "America' but over all just go back to the album and take in all the great music.
This is a easy 10 for me as it hits all the marks. Classic album and lovingly brought into surround by SW and I won't be able to go back to listening to this album in stereo again as this is now by go to release of CTTE.

This is the album I've been waiting for in surround since I first heard surround sound. While I tried to keep my expectations from being too high, it was not really possible. But this mix does not disappoint at all- utter bliss. An unequivocal 10 for me.

The detail and clarity is astounding; finally, all those many layers have room to breathe. The immersion factor is extremely high- the soundscape SW has created is solid and all-encompassing, yet the imaging remains strong. The vocals are amazing. I like JA anchored in the center, shining through clear and bright, but the most delicious vocals are those 3-part harmonies, w/ CS and SH in the surrounds- and even JA overdubs in the surrounds at times, making 3 part harmonies w/ himself. This actually changes the sound of his vocals, as I assume the original had all the dubs in the same place, but separating them out makes them even more ethereal and magical.

I can find some nits to pick: bringing some sounds up in the mix adds new textures but removes some of what is emphasized on the original; the bass is not as powerful in some places as I would expect, though it always has great clarity and fully rounded tones; and I would have preferred a bit more aggressive mix (I think this album calls out for more movement within the soundfield; I noticed more vertical movement than side-to-side or front-to-back). But those are very small potatoes indeed compared to the deep impact this mix possesses.

And this does need to be played LOUD. On my 1st listen, when Howe's frenetic guitar kicks in after the intro, it sounded off, but raising the volume 3 db made everything right. I listen to this disc at a higher volume setting than any other dvd-a I have (though SW's ELP discs are close), but that makes sense given the extremely wide dynamic range present (I've seen reports of DR 13-14).

I couldn't be happier w/ the 5.1 mix of my all-time favorite album, which I've heard hundreds of time over + 38 years. The only bad thing about this mix is that it makes me that much more impatient to hear what SW will do w/ the rest of the 70's catalog. I can imagine that if Tales gets this same treatment, it will be such a revelation that this oft-ridiculed album will get more of the respect it deserves.

PS- when I tried to access any of the extras, besides the 5.1 MLP of America (which is just as awesome a mix as the album is), the dvd stopped playing. Changing the setting in my dvd setup menu from audio to video gives me access to the extras, so if you are having this problem, try that solution (of course, then you lose access to the MLP mixes). I don't believe I have this issue w/ any other dvd-a's, but then again on many of them, all I ever listen to is the MLP 5.1 mix.

Even though I will rarely listen to them, what a great collection of extras. I do wish, however, that they could have included the instrumentals on the dvd, but that's just a statement, not a complaint. I doubt there was enough room. But I'd have traded the alternate album for the instrumentals.

Yea just got this yesterday, Suddenly I love MC music again. Only had to wait 1 decade for this. The 5.1 mix really works for me.

Just got mine last nite. The mixes are great. The 5.1 DTS is amazingly awesome but the 5.1 LPCM is BAD! It just sounds dull no matter what Pro-Logic setting I have tried. The menu reallllllly stinks too. Very confusing and sometimes it doesn't (total mass) retain the receiver audio settings when switching from different screens. Very weird.

I gave it 9 and not a 10 only for the menu issue.

Just got mine last nite. The mixes are great. The 5.1 DTS is amazingly awesome but the 5.1 LPCM is BAD! It just sounds dull no matter what Pro-Logic setting I have tried. The menu reallllllly stinks too. Very confusing and sometimes it doesn't (total mass) retain the receiver audio settings when switching from different screens. Very weird.

I gave it 9 and not a 10 only for the menu issue.

This is weird. I hear the 2 tracks as being exactly the same. The only thing I can think of is that your bass management is different for LPCM. Can you determine whether the difference is a lack of bass?

This is weird. I hear the 2 tracks as being exactly the same. The only thing I can think of is that your bass management is different for LPCM. Can you determine whether the difference is a lack of bass?

it's definitely not a bass issue. it's that the left/right, rear/front separations sound drastically better in DTS

The setup?
I have a complete other experience.
DTS track is not seperated like the LPCM.

Nevertheless I also prefer DTS, because the mix is fuller. ;)

Toshiba region free BDX1200 Blu-Ray player (HDMI to 60" Samsung SmartTV for video, optical cable to receiver), Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver, Klipsch HD 500 5.1 speaker system

Toshiba region free BDX1200 Blu-Ray player (HDMI to 60" Samsung SmartTV for video, optical cable to receiver), Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver, Klipsch HD 500 5.1 speaker system

You realise that you won't be getting Hi-rez audio with using an optical cable?

For LPCM its probably downmixing to stereo (depending on settings/capability of your player) & for DTS HDMA you'll only be getting the core (lossy) DTS stream.

You realise that you won't be getting Hi-rez audio with using an optical cable?

For LPCM its probably downmixing to stereo (depending on settings/capability of you player) & for DTS HDMA you'll only be getting the core (lossy) DTS stream.

yes but it's the only way to do it.

i'm fine with the lossy DTS it still sounds great.

yes but it's the only way to do it.

i'm fine with the lossy DTS it still sounds great.

Listening to the DTS is your best (probably only) option...

If I was you, I'd get a blu-ray player with surround analog outs...

Or an HDMI capable receiver

Plus I hope to be getting a Pioneer Elite VSX-70 soon so it will solve it.

Back