YES - Songs From Tsongas 35th Anniversary Concert [Blu-ray] September 23, 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw them a few times on this tour and they were superb. The already released Tsongas dvd is excellent, I'll go for this new bluray edition if its an upgrade. Evening DM :brew

evening guv-na! :brew :brew

I hope you are enjoying a few pints and some good 5.1. May I suggest Steven Wilson - Drive Home?

Have a great weekend my friend.

happy cat.jpg

evening guv-na! :brew :brew

I hope you are enjoying a few pints and some good 5.1. May I suggest Steven Wilson - Drive Home?

Have a great weekend my friend.

View attachment 15397

You too. Am reaching the end of an excellent bottle of Italian red with Captain Fantastic as a wind down. Almost my bed time and the rain is slamming against the window.I love Steven Wilson Drive Home :)

Reading the reviews of the Dvd people don't rate the sound of the Dts as very good and a few people don't rate the concert as very inspiring, I never got this as my dream would be to get a good concert mix of a early 70's show when they were in their peak form.
Colsky says its good, so thats one vote from here, anyone else think this is worth it?
Dennis did you get the dvd of this already?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

As long as it's not as bad as the "Live at Montreux" Blu-Ray.
For goodness sake, did ANYONE at Eagle Rock take notice that the Blu-Ray audio was a whole semi-tone down in pitch than the DVD & CD?
Talk about a lack of quality control right there...

For those who need a concrete example, here it is:

THIS is what the Blu-Ray audio sounds like.
THIS is what the DVD/CD audio sounds like (The correct way)

(This is "Live at Montreux", not 35th anniversary)

Reading the reviews of the Dvd people don't rate the sound of the Dts as very good and a few people don't rate the concert as very inspiring, I never got this as my dream would be to get a good concert mix of a early 70's show when they were in their peak form.
Colsky says its good, so thats one vote from here, anyone else think this is worth it?
Dennis did you get the dvd of this already?

Hi Peter :)

Oh, of course, YES are my favorite group in the world.

I am always looking for the perfect live sound mix, so I could always complain about any live concert sold as a recording. But I do find it hard to fault this concert. But yeah, it was a DVD so just compressed audio. I really hope the label puts some effort in the sound mix for the BluRay.

As a YES fan, my fellow YES fans seem to always rip apart the sound quality. All I know is that the sound quality here is about ONE THOUSAND times better than Yessongs!

This disc is worth it if only for Turn Of The Century. What an exciting & majestic version here with Wakeman. Also how can one complain about getting Ritual? :mad:@: There is a part where the entire band(sans Steve) bang on timpany drums during the percussion solo!

In addition, there is a very intimate "unplugged" section where Rick plays a grand piano.

And.. Its the only time YES ever played Mind Drive, although for some strange reason they slit the song in two.

I can't imagine that you wouldn't really really enjoy this BluRay, Peter.

Cheers!

DMJ

For those who need a concrete example, here it is:

THIS is what the Blu-Ray audio sounds like.
THIS is what the DVD/CD audio sounds like (The correct way)

(This is "Live at Montreux", not 35th anniversary)

Good God! How is a mistake like that even possible in the digital age?

Thanks Dennis I might take a chance on this then. I am not the biggest live visual fan but having said that concerts can some times add that magical sound quality if done right by band but also sometimes the warts outshine the good as rtbluray has pointed out with screw ups with the lack of quality control on many of these concert dvd\bluray's that are put out.
Now if it said mastered by Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner or the like who truely care about what they do then that would be a sure buy for me.
At least we have another quality surround Yes album coming out very soon, thats where I am spending my Yes dollars for sure.

I's done gots the DVD Bro...is the audio or video gonna be better?

In 1975, in a drunken stupor, Kieth Moon declared that The Who are on top on everything. Not sure about that, but I do know that YES have always tried to be ontop of technology.
I believe this concert was recorded in high definition(1080p). So the DVD(540 lines) doesn't do it justice. So yes, the bluray having the full 1080p rez would show the concert as "filmed". (y)

As for sound, I do think that people like Steven Wilson are always setting a new high bar for surround mixes and that puts constant pressure on other mixers. Back in the day a good surround mix had the band in front and the audience in the back channels. :mad:@: That won't cut the mustard anymore. So yes I hope to get a more thorough 5.1 mix in this BluRay, but it all depends on who YES chooses to do the audio production.

YES are one of the few bands who endeavor to play all the music live, so this concert is kinda a reference or "archive" performance. Classic YES performed live and with considerable artistic effort.

I don't hold out much hope for a discrete 5.1 sound mix here. "Back in the day a good surround mix had the band in front and the audience in the back channels" - aren't live releases still mostly like that? I'm struggling to think of any, other than Steven Wilson/PT, where there is much discrete going on in the rears.

I'll definitely still get the Tsongas blu ray though. I thought the dvd was excellent first time around, and at the very least the blu ray has another concert added - "Part Two contains 70 minutes of highlights from a very different concert on the same tour filmed at Estival in Lugano, Switzerland".

I don't hold out much hope for a discrete 5.1 sound mix here. "Back in the day a good surround mix had the band in front and the audience in the back channels" - aren't live releases still mostly like that? I'm struggling to think of any, other than Steven Wilson/PT, where there is much discrete going on in the rears.

I know at least about two: John Fogerty - Premonition and Fleetwood Mac - The Dance. Both are mixed by Eliot Scheiner btw.

I'll definitely still get the Tsongas blu ray though. I thought the dvd was excellent first time around, and at the very least the blu ray has another concert added - "Part Two contains 70 minutes of highlights from a very different concert on the same tour filmed at Estival in Lugano, Switzerland".

I have this on preorder and like you do not have high hopes for a very discreet recording.
Sidetracking on the Yes discussion but "Roy Orbison-Black and White Night"-Elliot Scheiner mix is fantastic and discreet. Anyone that doesn't have this needs to get it as one of the better surround disk's period.

I doubt it's a remix. The DVD mix is just OK. this is the third milking of this concert -- first was DVD, then DVD with 'Director's Cut' and extra an open-air concert (not great) and finally, the BluRay version.

Do I really want to see Steve Howe at 65 in high definition?

Sidetracking on the Yes discussion but "Roy Orbison-Black and White Night"-Elliot Scheiner mix is fantastic and discreet. Anyone that doesn't have this needs to get it as one of the better surround disk's period.

I agree that it sounds great. But if I'm watching a video and I see the guitarist in front of me but hear his sound coming from behind me, I find that to be disconcerting. For live concert *videos*, my opinion is that band in front, crowd and reflected sound in back works best.

J. D.

I agree that it sounds great. But if I'm watching a video and I see the guitarist in front of me but hear his sound coming from behind me, I find that to be disconcerting. For live concert *videos*, my opinion is that band in front, crowd and reflected sound in back works best.

J. D.

For me its all about the sound, I don't really care about the visual even for live stuff so when instruments are spread around in a mix I prefer that to the visual correctness of what you have described. That's what I found so amazing to listening to surround music in the first place was the opening up in the sound field.
They had like around 20 some people on stage for Roy Orbison with many backup singers so this is exactily when opening up the sound field makes sense as there is so much stuff going on and Yes music is the same thing if you keep it to just the front centric it's a waste of being able to use those extra speakers to place some different elements of the music which has already been proven out by the awesome Yes album and Close to the edge in surround done my Steven Wilson.

Listen to Porcupine Tree,Blackfield and Steven solo in surround and you can hear how Steven Wilson gets the concept of using the whole speaker configuration as he spreads some stuff out and you get to hear the whole band in way better clarity which can't be done by just using front speakers only.

peter

Back