Yes - The Yes Album in 5.1 Surround DVD-A/BluRay in 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not announcing titles increases speculation and anticipation. It gets folks talking about it which I find to be a fun part of any upcoming release. Can't say I'm excited about Tales though. Never got into that one, my least favorite classic Yes album. It just meanders too much for me. Gonna have to pass on that one and wait for GftO.

I would have had it sooner had I lived in Germany, but then I would have a life with:

No steak
Plump blonde women everywhere
12 dollar per gallon petrol
Brautwurst for lunch each day

So I can accept having Quadrophenia a few weeks later than iMachine. (y)

The pure grudge! :)

Look at this:
image.jpg

Yes is great...just to stay on topic :)

Not announcing titles increases speculation and anticipation. It gets folks talking about it which I find to be a fun part of any upcoming release. Can't say I'm excited about Tales though. Never got into that one, my least favorite classic Yes album. It just meanders too much for me. Gonna have to pass on that one and wait for GftO.

Speculation & talking? Fair enough I'l bite:

My friend "Bruce" who teaches logical positivism and is in charge of the sheep dip has a keen mind for logic, he tells me:

If there is no announcement there can be no speculation, since there is nothing to specualate about! Right? Otherwise we just engage in utterly wild speculation like, uh... Colsky is actually an Eskimo named "Nanook" and RT is actually an accountant from New Jersey who watches reruns of Jersey Shore 24/7 without ever actually going to work... Let the specualtion begin!

Next: The expression in business: "The Customer is King." Well couldn't a King command to know what's next??? Its good to be King!

About your lack of fondness for Tales: Can't do much there. Example: No matter how much RT wets his pants over waiting for an XTC release, I stay "high & dry", not because of some special under garment, simply becuase I have no interest! (y) But I will say about Tales: It was certainly a leap forward from CTTE in many ways. I don't think YES pulled off everything they tried to accomplish with Tales, but it still was quite an acheivement, and should reward
any listening when it gets spread out into 5.1. It doesn't have any solid prog rockers like Yours Is No Disgrace but it does embody everytihg YES tried to do which is push creative boundaries as far as possible in the compositional realm of music. :phones

@The group & RT: This post was the first time in my entire life I tried to pull off some "diaper" humor. I'm not sure if it worked and it will probably be the last time I make such an attempt. Rest easy lads. (y)

@RT: You waiting to save some $$$ on the new Quadrophenia 5.1 brings up a tpoic that I think should be considered more by the industry:

Back in the day we paid 7 dollars for an LP or 13 dollars for a CD. We were then given a lifetime license to listen.
Now we pay hundreds of dollars for box sets and special issues which contain the same music! And we aren't supposed to say anything when the mix is bad or there is no significant upgrade in sonic quality? I feel your pain with the Quadrophenia releases. The industry needs to straighten out that if they ever want piracy to abate and create healthy markets like in the day of LP records & CDs...

Speculation & talking? Fair enough I'l bite:

My friend "Bruce" who teaches logical positivism and is in charge of the sheep dip has a keen mind for logic, he tells me:

If there is no announcement there can be no speculation, since there is nothing to specualate about! Right?

Wrong. There is plenty to speculate about especially considering the process of elimination of Yes albums already released and those out of the time frame. Your friend Bruce is obviously not a Yes fan.

But I will say about Tales: It was certainly a leap forward from CTTE in many ways. I don't think YES pulled off everything they tried to accomplish with Tales, but it still was quite an acheivement, and should reward
any listening when it gets spread out into 5.1
A very unsuccessful and polarizing leap forward. Sometimes one should look before leaping. I find it bland and lacking passion. But that's just my opinion... and shared by many other Yes fans from what I've gathered over the years. I like SOUNDS headline for their review of the album, "Close to Boredom." ;)

@The group & RT: This post was the first time in my entire life I tried to pull off some "diaper" humor. I'm not sure if it worked and it will probably be the last time I make such an attempt. Rest easy lads. (y)

It worked, but it may have leaked!

Close - Colsky is actually an accountant named Nanook. And Mr Moore is actually Mr Creosote, slimmed down and living in Florida eating only oranges and dreaming of German ladies and beer :smokin

Wrong. There is plenty to speculate about especially considering the process of elimination of Yes albums already released and those out of the time frame. Your friend Bruce is obviously not a Yes fan.

What was the question? Ah yes, Bruce: My friend Bruce is an idiot from Australia who wears a silly hat with thingies hanging over his eyes, I don't listen to him that much really...

Bruce-300x223.jpg

A very unsuccessful and polarizing leap forward. Sometimes one should look before leaping. I find it bland and lacking passion. But that's just my opinion... and shared by many other Yes fans from what I've gathered over the years. I like SOUNDS headline for their review of the album, "Close to Boredom." ;)

For sure, it polarized Wakeman straight out of the band! Alas that was the down side of prog, to stretch things to the point of breaking. And certainly Tales was Steve & Jon making a power play. Other bands in rock or jazz are happy making the same record again & again. Not YES. Brain Salad Surgery ended ELP. Greg Lake admitted the band thought they had done all they could do after BSS was done. The price of real progressive artistry perhaps was what hurt Tales?

Perhaps bands like YES try too hard to progress and find themselves out on a limb(like with Tales). YES had wild success after CTTE so I guess when Steve & Jon had their concept, Chris & Alan & Rick said: "Go for it" until it didn't materialize to a more cohesive work, then all the controversy started.

Hmm, how many bands have truly progressed like that and stayed in tact? Gensis began a death spiral after Trick of The Tail, for example...

I do find Tales much easier to get into than say some Gentle Giant records. Some GG I love to death and other GG I can't listen to no matter how much I try.

Tales does have two complete and strong tracks, no? The Revealing Science of God & Ritual. You can't dig those songs at all?

Hmm, how many bands have truly progressed like that and stayed in tact?
Pink Floyd hit their peak with Dark Side of the Moon and the band has stated that at this point they had accomplished all that they set out to do and had a hard time following it up. Lucky for us they persevered by following it with Wish You Were Here and then changing their sound on Animals and The Wall.

Tales does have two complete and strong tracks, no? The Revealing Science of God & Ritual. You can't dig those songs at all?
To be fair I will attempt to listen to the entire album again today with an open mind and will get back to you.

Pink Floyd hit their peak with Dark Side of the Moon and the band has stated that at this point they had accomplished all that they set out to do and had a hard time following it up. Lucky for us they persevered by following it with Wish You Were Here and then changing their sound on Animals and The Wall.

To be fair I will attempt to listen to the entire album again today with an open mind and will get back to you.

Side 3 is the weak one for me but there's lots to love on the other 3 tracks... especially Mr Wakeman's contributions.

Side 3 is the weak one for me but there's lots to love on the other 3 tracks... especially Mr Wakeman's contributions.

I love the entire album now, and it is one of my most listened to Yes albums nowadays, but it took a lot of listens to get to that stage. I am SO looking forward to this one in 5.1, but my wife probably isn't :51banana:

Agreed, although I love & enjoy the PF that followed Dark Side, I don't think any matched the perfection that was DSOTM. But with YES, after Tales they returned to form. I think Relayer & GFTO, athough completely different were just as strong as CTTE.

Oh crap, since you are being so open here, now RT is gonna expect me to drive across the mountains and listen to him play XTC records. :mad:@:

One last word on Tales: No matter how much I try I still can't enjoy The Ancient(cept for the classical guitar part) but the other three sides work for me. The Remembering is a bit slow starting out but then has some marvelous changes and ends with a bang!

:brew

P.S. The thought of Tales & Relayer & GFTO all in discrete 5.1 is almost too much to hope for. Wow.

I am SO looking forward to this one in 5.1, but my wife probably isn't :51banana:

:worthy :worthy :worthy

Perhaps the most brilliant observation I've read here on QQ. Tales might be the most wife un-friendly prog record
of all time.(Hmm, actually I think mine would like the 1st two Gentle Giant records even less..)

Oh crap, since you are being so open here, now RT is gonna expect me to drive across the mountains and listen to him play XTC records. :mad:@:

Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to just buy the bloody Nonsuch bluray. Go on, you'll love it, and if you don't I guarantee that you'll at least appreciate the sound of it.

A very unsuccessful and polarizing leap forward.

Top 10 album in the US and UK. Shipped gold. Sold out shows. (Relayer also a top 10 gold record, and they played some of their biggest ever shows in 1975-76, so Tales couldn't have polarized the fans that much)

Sometimes one should look before leaping. I find it bland and lacking passion. But that's just my opinion... and shared by many other Yes fans from what I've gathered over the years. I like SOUNDS headline for their review of the album, "Close to Boredom." ;)

Couldn't disagree more, and my opinion too is 'shared by many other Yes fans from what I've gathered over the years'.

Tales and Relayer, in the opinion of many (including certain members of Yes itself), are the absolute peak of Yes's creativity and adventurousness. They are also albums that reward repeat listening beyond all others in their catalog.

Lamb lies down on broadway polarized also back in the days, but is now a favorite of many Genesis fans.
Time changes something.

Speculation is everywhere, also for releases which will never be released.
I need no announcements. I need all Yes albums in 5.1 physical before my hands. :)

AND ALL STEELY DAN. DAMN!

AMEN! :)

Tales and Relayer, in the opinion of many (including certain members of Yes itself), are the absolute peak of Yes's creativity and adventurousness. They are also albums that reward repeat listening beyond all others in their catalog.
Tales's problem is it is the point at which Jon Anderson completely abandoned the English language, and went into "mystic-speak". Close To The Edge was the start of this, but at least SOME of the lyrics were comprehensible (although I still have no idea what a Khatru is). Tales is four sides of me not knowing what the hell he is talking about. And Relayer is completely unlistenable for me, too damned fast, too damned cluttered, too damned dissonant, no Wakeman, more mystic lyrics. Going For The One was considered a "comeback LP" from Yes at the time. Relayer was what they were "coming back" from. And if Wilson does either one, I will still be first on line to get them. I got The Yes Album on Saturday & I am still gobsmacked. I only wish they would consider going back to the first 2 LPs (when English was still Jon's native language)for the Wilson treatment.

Tales's problem is it is the point at which Jon Anderson completely abandoned the English language, and went into "mystic-speak". Close To The Edge was the start of this, but at least SOME of the lyrics were comprehensible (although I still have no idea what a Khatru is). Tales is four sides of me not knowing what the hell he is talking about. And Relayer is completely unlistenable for me, too damned fast, too damned cluttered, too damned dissonant, no Wakeman, more mystic lyrics. Going For The One was considered a "comeback LP" from Yes at the time. Relayer was what they were "coming back" from. And if Wilson does either one, I will still be first on line to get them. I got The Yes Album on Saturday & I am still gobsmacked. I only wish they would consider going back to the first 2 LPs (when English was still Jon's native language)for the Wilson treatment.
Speaking of Relayer, Gates of Delerium in 5.1, just imagine :) that would be 5.1 heaven, the guitars and keys could work out great in surround!

What they were 'coming back' from in 1977 was not having released a band album since 1974. In the interim they explored solo careers, which at the time was (not generally known, though it's hinted at in Dan Hedges' old Yes biography) a possible departure point for a few of them. It was soon apparent to the three big egos in Yes that none of them would be as successful 'solo' as they were as a band. So Yes continued, and then Brian Lane engineered the ouster of Moraz and the re-insertion of Wakeman, to make it even more of a 'comeback'. By 1978-1979 they were barely talking to each other.

Going for the One, to many fans, was a comedown and the end of an era, notwithstanding the lavish praise some heap on 'Awaken' ....for me, 'Turn of the Century' is the real gem.

And I would not agree that Tales or Relayer are particularly more 'mystic speaking' than the previous three albums. On those two as (with varying success) on all of their albums from the 70s onwards, there are moments of directness -- 'What happened to this song we once knew so well?' "Listen, should we fight forever, knowing as we do know, fear destroys?" emerging from a sea of ambiguity (Jon Anderson may know what was meant, but we're left to suggest our own) and use of syllables and words for their sound, rather than their meaning. The early-mid seventies was the pinnacle for that too...so, what you call a 'problem', I call a feature.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for you to just buy the bloody Nonsuch bluray. Go on, you'll love it, and if you don't I guarantee that you'll at least appreciate the sound of it.

Is this true DMJ? You don't have it? I agree, at the very least you'll appreciate the SW mix. If not, give it to one of your neighbors :banana:

Back