Yes - The Yes Album in 5.1 Surround DVD-A/BluRay in 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who are 'they'? The artists or record companies?

The owners of the the material. Most artists do not own their master tapes but it can vary.

Audio Fidelity having been trying to do AC/DC for years and have been turned down numerous times! This is purely for a remastered CD.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic, but I had a look at the waveforms for the 5.1 mix of Fragile from 2001 (or thereabouts) and if you turn the center channel down by -3dB it sounds so much better. This makes the drums and bass guitar match their output levels with the front left and front right speakers and the soundstage is so much bigger and expansive as a result. Without the alteration the center channel is so dominant its like 45 minutes of AGHHHHHHHHHHHHBASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM BASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but once you tame that beast, the other speakers start to reveal themselves so much more.

I'm not saying the mix is perfect, because it really isn't...but turning that center speaker down helps.

Crikey! So that's what's wrong with it! I feel another one of your "Don't Shoot Him, He's Only The Mastering Engineer" investigations coming on! :D

Slightly off-topic, but I had a look at the waveforms for the 5.1 mix of Fragile from 2001 (or thereabouts) and if you turn the center channel down by -3dB it sounds so much better. This makes the drums and bass guitar match their output levels with the front left and front right speakers and the soundstage is so much bigger and expansive as a result. Without the alteration the center channel is so dominant its like 45 minutes of AGHHHHHHHHHHHHBASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM BASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but once you tame that beast, the other speakers start to reveal themselves so much more.

I'm not saying the mix is perfect, because it really isn't...but turning that center speaker down helps.

I do the same thing with my center, always have. Especially with movies. They add so much to the center channel, it takes away from other audio effects. Way back when, with Dolby pro logic, this action was a very good idea, and It was suggested by an audio expert-(forget name) but it still is most effective in most multichannel offerings, music or films.

That never sounded like the problem to me -- if anything, Bruford was too far back in the mix.

The main issues for me are the additions of reverb, and the missing/reshuffled elements on "South Side of the Sky".

I just listened to the BD of TYA for the first time.. and WHAT A MIX!!! :yikes :worthy

I think it may be one of SW's very finest surround mixes. LOVE IT!!! (y) :phones (y)

:wave

I would buy a Stephen Wilson Fragile in a heartbeat. I currently have the Tim Weidner surround version on a Warner Japan label. That one is gawd awful (sorry to anyone concerned).

With the exception of the first two studio recordings most of the Led Zeppelin tracks were recorded with the Rolling Stone Mobile Studio. Not much to work with there, I imagine.

I wonder if SW likes Uriah Heep. No tomatoes please.

:yikes
Not much to work with? 16 tracks at least on the last few albums, Presence is 24, right?
PG has multiple overdubs, plenty could be done with the guitars alone.

PLENTY to work with. Tommy is great and it is an 8 track recording.

Can anyone tell me the average delivery time from Burning Shed to addresses in the states? The anticipation is killing me.

It has usually been a week to Indiana for me, but I got the email Wed. and I'm still waiting.

If it doesn't come soon, the mail carrier is going to accuse me of stalking. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Have not posted on here in years and actually forgot about this site until I started reading about reviews on GYBR, I would say I have a fair amount of SACDs and DVD-A and really enjoy Surround sound was really bummed when they stopped producing them. I was so happy to find the high rez music has now started to come into the fold now hope it last. I know own Yes close to the edge which I have some mixed feelings about but overall I do enjoy, have 3 tull benefit and TAAB1&2 which I really like and just received the Yes Album which took my breath away in 5.1.

I did not know who Steve Wilson was until a month ago but I am glad he is doing what he is doing and hope he continues on. Looking forward to more yes Tales and Relayer would be great and more EJ although not sure about GYBR I have the SACD and DVD-a and in reading over what has been written not sure how much it would be an improvement but we will see.

I am just happy to see 5.1 not die also have to give kudos to this website for keeping up the fight to keep 5.1 music in the forefront

Have not posted on here in years and actually forgot about this site until I started reading about reviews on GYBR, I would say I have a fair amount of SACDs and DVD-A and really enjoy Surround sound was really bummed when they stopped producing them. I was so happy to find the high rez music has now started to come into the fold now hope it last. I know own Yes close to the edge which I have some mixed feelings about but overall I do enjoy, have 3 tull benefit and TAAB1&2 which I really like and just received the Yes Album which took my breath away in 5.1.

I did not know who Steve Wilson was until a month ago but I am glad he is doing what he is doing and hope he continues on. Looking forward to more yes Tales and Relayer would be great and more EJ although not sure about GYBR I have the SACD and DVD-a and in reading over what has been written not sure how much it would be an improvement but we will see.

I am just happy to see 5.1 not die also have to give kudos to this website for keeping up the fight to keep 5.1 music in the forefront

Good evening lurker! Agreed, Tales and Relayer are much looked forward to and hopefully not too long away. If you like progressive music you should check out Steven Wilson's own recent albums - Grace for Drowning and The Raven that Refused to Sing, both amazing 5.1 mixes.

Hi All - and thanks to all for all the kind words as well....

The reason we recommend setting to PCM/Auto instead of Bitstream (and the link does work - try instead http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html but be aware that there is a typo (will correct it tonight) is because we have seen issues with PS3 devices set to Bitstream not outputting the 24/192 stereo properly. If set to Auto/PCM, then you can use the player (which I certainly do, given my player is a BDP-105 and my amplifier has only legacy digital inputs but 6 analogue ins) to decode. If you have a cheap-ass player and an expensive AV amplifier, then you can bitstream out but this can be problematic.
The disc defaults to DTS-HD MA simply because that is guaranteed to work - period.
You can also select your stream off the main menu when the disc has loaded. Green = LPCM 5.1, Red = DTS-HD MA, Yellow = LPCM Stereo.
When in any playlist, the Blue button jumps you to the next playlist.
Remote Control KeyPad will select tracks, as in CD.

In all, you're correct in thinking a lot of planning went into this one - it will be interesting to read what the preferred approach is - menu driven, like CTTE or PA-BD style, like this one.

I agree with Mchoop, sonicly this is superior to CTTE, clean crisp high end, a bottom end that you can feel deep down in your belly, this was lacking on CTTE, (surround field on both of them is outstanding). this one stands nicely next to Fragile.

My TYA blu-ray audio arrived yesterday (along with Ian Anderson Homo Erraticus and Katatonia Dethroned & Uncrowned). I have a bit of listening to do!

Back