Your Best Surround Demo Song On DVD-A MLP (Pick One Only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But... regarding Roxy Music "India":

1. Isn't that one only released on SACD?
2- Isn't that particular song the only one they did not find the multichannel originals on? meaning the 5.1-version is based on the stereo master?

this is kind of lame - but when i go to show someone that my sansui qrx 9001 is NOT just playing stereo x 2 i play a couple of things - i use qs synth mode and i play queens We Will Rock You - because when Brian May jumps in there towards the end for the first time - he is on a channel all by himself - and he burns that channel up - meanwhile the other 3 channels move intermittently - mr may is hogging rear left ( i think).

the same goes for the cults - peace dog - mr guitar man is all over front right - while all other channels are doing their thing.

but when i want to show all four channels going independent - time to put on something hectic - the chemical brothers - piku - is a great one - those channels dont even act like theyre playing the same thing in some parts of that mind-threatening tune. same thing with - thrill-kill cult - some of that is all over the place - not something i listen to always - but makes for a great demo.

yowza - im going to play that now.

w.a.reid

I Zimbra from Fear of Music by Talking Heads, Gene Wilder on congas, Robert Fripp on guitar, incredible percussion, you can hear everything

The Weight from the Last Waltz - aggressive as anything I've heard and such an exceptional song. Done in-studio not live.

Such a difficult thing to select because it is so subjective, and totally dependant on the mood I am in.
Options? Where to even start is the hardest part.
I cannot get it down to one - no matter how I try - so it will have to be 3:
Miles Davis - Tutu (the title track). Sounds like he is playing in the room for me.
The Temptations - Papa Was A Rolling Stone. Never on DVD-A officially, but the CD-4 is awesome (and on a DVD-A/V)
Porcupine Tree - Russia On Ice.

Any of the Elton John stuff is great. Particularly like putting on Honky Cat and watching people's faces as the horns kick in from the surrounds.:)

I've had mates over (huge Elton fans) who thought the Surround stuff must be re-recordings, they kept hearing so many new things in the surround mixes compared to the old stereo stuff they'd heard a gazillion times! (y)

..and just when they're getting a bit fidgety and restless, I play the fun little game of shutting off all the other channels and just leave Elton's voice hanging in the centre.. that's when they really lose it and wonder just what the hell voodoo magic trickery is going on..!! :eek:

A couple of my favorites are "Epitaph" from The Court Of The Crimson King and "Prairie Wedding" from Sailing To Philadelphia(Knopfler)...

McHoop

I have it on Blu-Ray, but I checked and it is available on DVD-A... Steven Wilson's Luminol. The rest of the disc doesn't do that much for me, but this is a great track and the audio quality is superb.

The Golden Age-Beck

A good one, but I do prefer Paper Tiger - a perfect mix of a strong song with an adventouros arrangement in a splendid surround mix. The complete Sea Change album is a perfect surround demo album - does not get any better than this...

Back