Your Best Surround Demo Song On DVD-A MLP (Pick One Only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to say, but it is good.
took years for me to buy this, but a modern recording in 5.1 is always my fave

Eh I will admit I kinda sorta like the production on that track. A little too plastic for my taste but I do like those sped up strings.

It's a bizzare song, and I didn't even know about it until I purchased the DVD-A, but Queen's "The Prophet's Song" from A Night at the Opera is simply amazing! My son sat there transfixed the first time he heard it. Heavy use of surround sound. If you don't own this disc, buy it immediately!

The unplugged version of Candle in the Wind is a very close second.

"How Is Your Life Today"? from Lightbulb Sun. At 2:40 it's short enough and perfect MC-wise.

It's a bizzare song, and I didn't even know about it until I purchased the DVD-A, but Queen's "The Prophet's Song" from A Night at the Opera is simply amazing! My son sat there transfixed the first time he heard it. Heavy use of surround sound. If you don't own this disc, buy it immediately!

One of my favourites from Queen since... forever. When I bought the dvd-a it was for this (and yes Bohemian Rhapsody) but The Prophet Song is possibly the heaviest song they ever did (not fast, or rocking but more heavy in the vein of a Led Zep song). It's wonderful in 5.1, but too long and too obscure to be demo material TBH

depending on the audience, it could either be

Seaside Rendezvous - Zephyr Voices Unbound (AIX) short sweet and stunning

Mandelgroove - Blue Man Group Audio (give your listener [the basshead] the volume control and watch him turn it up LOL)

Trains - Porcupine Tree In Absentia (while this was Elliot Scheiner's work, SW has gotten so good at this, any one of his mixes could demo. How Is Your life Today being a great example)

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt I - The Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots this disc sounds a bit rough at the edges, but the use of surrounds is really fun. More for the adventurous listener

Everything Must Go - Steely Dan Everything Must Go - more for the audiophile (sic) audience

As of RIGHT NOW, I'm changing my vote:
"Maxine"; Donald Fagen/The Nightfly
Something for everyone; great vocals, & surround music:smokin

Donald Fagen's DVD-A version of Kamakiriad is cool ...(note the sequential finger snaps at the beginning of the title track!) + the Horns in the rear sound fab.

OK, why not...Two song though for my demos

"Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows" - The Beatles from Love (got to "love" the low bass - <20Hz)

&

"Hotel California" - The Eagles from Hotel California - Different guitars in each corner channel

The first DVD-A disc I play for noobies is P-Tree's 'In Absentia'. If I only have time to demo one song, I set the noobie in the speaker center point and play 'Heart Attack in a Lay by'. Words cannot describe the aural effect, any attempt by me would be clumsy to say the least. Park it in the sweet spot ...

I go with a previous writer on pink floyds dark side, the whole album dvd-a or sacd, I have them both, true the dvd-a is a bootleg but it is excellent, floyds music was made for surround. I consider the whole album as one song. maybe unfair ok, if I had to pick one song it would be the beatles love version of a day in the life.

Any of the Elton John stuff is great. Particularly like putting on Honky Cat and watching people's faces as the horns kick in from the surrounds.:)

Back