Your Best Surround Demo Song On DVD-A MLP (Pick One Only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything Must Go from "Everything Must Go" Steely Dan

The onslaught of drums to start in the rears to silence and then the song re-starts with sax in the center, pristine guitar licks in the rears..... whew!!! I have gooseflesh just talking about it. Fagen and Becker make magical everything they do. Just pick one! :smokin

The top of my list would have to be "Burning Down the House (Alternate Mix)" from Talking Head's Speaking in Tongues. For me, that baby's got it all surround-wise; plus, it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.:)

I like 'Arriving Somewhere....' from Deadwing by Porcupine Tree . The music is so interesting as it weaves its way along with spot on mixing you almost forget its 5.1 ! It just sounds so right ...

I , too , am really getting into Insurgentes and could easily second the earlier vote for ' Twilight...'

~M~

From DEEP PURPLE'S "MACHINE HEAD" DVD AUDIO
"SMOKE ON THE WATER"

It Really smokes in 5.1 Audio ! I just love the way the bass
starts rolling after the initial guitar intro of SOTW.

"Riders on the Storm." It's kind of an obvious choice, with the thunder and all, but it really creates a convincing illusion.

I've thought about this a lot.
When demoing 5.1 to the unwashed, one song is often all there's time for.

Over the years I've come to this realization: less is more.
Unplugged or a capella tracks have the biggest impact.
Instead of feeling assaulted by volume, these tracks really make people listen.

So my nominees are . . .

1) Lonesome Road -- James Taylor, Dad Loves his Work
2) Seven Bridges Road -- Eagles, Hell Freezes Over
3) Candle in the Wind [Unplugged] -- Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road [Extra Track]
4) Yesterday -- Boyz II Men, II
5) Saturn Nights -- America, Homecoming

Only #5 is not unplugged.

The winner is . . .

Candle in the Wind [Unplugged] -- Elton John

Note: Just noticed only DVD-A tracks was requested, so I guess that drops the nominees to only two.

I do not think I can pick a "best" DVD-A song. However, for DTS I have no problem picking "Seven Bridges Road", which is the bonus track on Hell Freezes Over DTS CD.

Last edited:
I'm guilty of one too many demos = "Hyacinth House" The Doors (dizzy)
Oh look out....Any track from the Beatles LOVE

1921, or Go to the Mirror; both from "Tommy" the Who, DVD Audio.
2nd is "I Am the Walrus", Love, DVD Audio

Back