Zappa Roxy '73 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If "Dweezil" wants to start up a type of crowdfunding for ROXY AND ELSEWHERE in quad/5.1he can count me in!

Although I don't have great gobs of money, I would love to invest in this.And my contribution$ would be a donation!

This would also apply "doubly to quad reissue's of OVERNIGHT SENSATION and APOSTROPHE (and any other quads they can dig up from the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST VAULT)

If that's what it takes to get ZAPPA in quad I'm all for it.

derek

I would love nothing more than more Zappa in surround, but I talked with Dweezil after a ZPZ Roxy show (I posted about it here at the time) and when I asked him about more surround releases, he replied thaere was no market for them. I feel we're only getting a surround mix for this because it's expected with movies. I'm not holding my breath for any audio-only surround releases from the Zappa Family Trust, and I really hope I'm wrong. Maybe things will change now that Gail is out of the picture. Are you listening Ahmet?

I would love nothing more than more Zappa in surround, but I talked with Dweezil after a ZPZ Roxy show (I posted about it here at the time) and when I asked him about more surround releases, he replied thaere was no market for them. I feel we're only getting a surround mix for this because it's expected with movies. I'm not holding my breath for any audio-only surround releases from the Zappa Family Trust, and I really hope I'm wrong. Maybe things will change now that Gail is out of the picture. Are you listening Ahmet?

Yes but if we contribute, or AF licence Zappa the family do not have to fork out all the money; It can be a labour of love. What reason could they have to say No to AF? Zappa family trust will not have to do any of the work.

Yes but if we contribute, or AF licence Zappa the family do not have to fork out all the money; It can be a labour of love. What reason could they have to say No to AF? Zappa family trust will not have to do any of the work.

I think ZAPPA is on UMe right at a moment, so it may be more plausable at this stage to see PURE AUDIO BLU-RAY.

Of course it's all subject to change, and I speculate as to the crowdfunding offer which has to be accepted by ZFT first and foremost.

Remaining optomistic,

fizzy

[video=youtube;wQG3JLxfLdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQG3JLxfLdc/[/video]

I admire Frank Zappa as a musician but just don't get into his humour, satire thrown in to the songs.
One exception is Hot Rats. Is this Roxy show more in line to that album by any chance?

I admire Frank Zappa as a musician but just don't get into his humour, satire thrown in to the songs.
One exception is Hot Rats. Is this Roxy show more in line to that album by any chance?

This is a live Zappa & The Mothers show and a legendary one at that! - not only for the jaw dropping instrumental virtuosity of his band but also for some his humorous " hi jinks" as well - as with most if not all live Zappa shows. So there will be elements of Hot Rats style jazz/fusion/rock played by the likes of George Duke, Ruth Underwood et al, and there will be sarcastic, naughty bits thrown in at a moments notice.

It's part and parcel of the live Zappa experience. I've been fortunate to witness his live shows starting with "Live At Fillmore '71" and many times after that - I never came away disappointed and I'm not such a big fan of his brand of humor either.

As this blu ray disc and cd/dvd set will be issued by Eaglevision, it should be readily available in stores and all over dvd netsites.

I only hope it's not one of their notorious tame 5.1 mixes.Hoping the Zappa mix is the one utilized......and perhaps quad or quad-5.1 mix.

As this blu ray disc and cd/dvd set will be issued by Eaglevision, it should be readily available in stores and all over dvd netsites.

I only hope it's not one of their notorious tame 5.1 mixes.Hoping the Zappa mix is the one utilized......and perhaps quad or quad-5.1 mix.

I do hope so. Some Blu ray concerts even have most of the crowd in the front speakers and practically nothing in rears.

huh?

Roxy and Elsewhere was mixed in quad by Frank back in the early 70's, (73 I think).It was slated to be issued in CD-4 on his Discreet label, a sub label of Reprise.

If possible it may be issued in the original quad mix or a like configuration 4.0 quad mixed into 5.1, such as some other quads were (The Moody Blues SACDS and other quad to 5.1 derivations).

Roxy and Elsewhere was mixed in quad by Frank back in the early 70's, (73 I think).It was slated to be issued in CD-4 on his Discreet label, a sub label of Reprise.

If possible it may be issued in the original quad mix or a like configuration 4.0 quad mixed into 5.1, such as some other quads were (The Moody Blues SACDS and other quad to 5.1 derivations).

This has been a long standing question in the FZ community which I have been a part of for many years. Joe Travers (the ZFT Vaultmeister) is a good buddy of mine. I'll ask him if he ever found the Roxy quad in the vault.

The audio used for the movie is definitely not going to be anything FZ did. The movie soundtrack is entirely different than what's on the album.

And unfortunately for us the movie not the way it was originally supposed to be released. It was supposed to be all 3 shows.

Frank did however back in 1987 prepare and mix all 3 shows but they were never released.

One Size Fits All was also set to be prepared in QUAD and was never released. Not sure if FZ actually ever did a QUAD mix tho.

One Size Fits All was also set to be prepared in QUAD and was never released. Not sure if FZ actually ever did a QUAD mix tho.
Apart from those two it's very possible more quad exists as Frank was first to create quad and six channel mixes for his own listening experience.It was reported in the past (but don't ask me by who, cause I'm not certain) that he did this so he could observe individual band member's contributions.He was ahead of his time for certain.

So if possible ask about any and all of his multi-channel mixes, if you can and thankyou.Everyone on this site is interested I can assure you.

Apart from those two it's very possible more quad exists as Frank was first to create quad and six channel mixes for his own listening experience.It was reported in the past (but don't ask me by who, cause I'm not certain) that he did this so he could observe individual band member's contributions.He was ahead of his time for certain.

So if possible ask about any and all of his multi-channel mixes, if you can and thankyou.Everyone on this site is interested I can assure you.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/zappa-delighted-in-breaking-new-ground-in-sound

If you haven't heard QuAUDIOPHILIAc GET IT NOW!!! It's SICK!!!

You should also know that 75% of his catalog is instrumental.

I'd be much more interested in hearing HD flat transfers of those quad mixes than the video produced by not Frank.

It's really really hard to pick one favorite Zappa album. But if I had to it would probably be Roxy.

I wonder if we're ever going to see 24 bit HD downloads for the original albums (and the original mixes of course)?

Here's one I forgot to mention
Also mixed in quad and released in 5.1 is Frank's movie.......BABY SNAKES.....available on DVD DD 5.1 (derived from the original 4 channel mix)

Here's one I forgot to mention
Also mixed in quad and released in 5.1 is Frank's movie.......BABY SNAKES.....available on DVD DD 5.1 (derived from the original 4 channel mix)

I never picked this one up because it looks like it only has a dolby encoded (ie destroyed) 5.1 program.
Is there a lossless release of this that you know of? I haven't seen it.

Back