Zappa Roxy '73 DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note the last album in the discography on the disc is 200 Motels, probably from the L.A. Philharmonics?

-Kristian

Note the last album in the discography on the disc is 200 Motels, probably from the L.A. Philharmonics?

-Kristian

Yes. That's what it is.

400x400x282032.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BLt2lAvxRc.jpg

I've only watched the main concert once so far (with 5.1) and haven't seen the extras yet, but what I saw was INCREDIBLE. My favorite parts were when Frank played drums along with Ruth, Ralph and Chester, and "Cheepnis-Percussion". With all respect to the other band members, it was cool hearing just the percussion parts from that song. I also tried to notice if and when some of the audio was the same as on the "Roxy & Elsewhere" album. Every time I thought I did, someone would play a little something different than the album version.

I need to watch and listen a few more times and watch the extras, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. :bounce:upthumb:bounce17:woopie

Just watched it again along with the extras. Don't know why they just didn't add the 3 songs to the main concert, maybe they thought it would be more like an encore this way. I was all LMAO watching Chester when Pamela Miller was "doing her thing" with him.

It sounds to me like Ralph's drum set is totally in the left front while Chester's set is spread mostly in the right front, but the left side of his set (mainly the cymbal crashes) appear in the left. I think it has to do with the placement of where the players are on stage, which the sound field keeps very accurate. It looks like Chester is a bit more centered. Plus, Chester's left most cymbals are very close to Ralph's right most cymbal, so maybe it's bleed over from Ralph's mikes. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Last edited:
Just watched it again along with the extras. Don't know why they just didn't add the 3 songs to the main concert, maybe they thought it would be more like an encore this way. I was all LMAO watching Chester when Pamela Miller was "doing her thing" with him.

It sounds to me like Ralph's drum set is totally in the left front while Chester's set is spread mostly in the right front, but the left side of his set (mainly the cymbal crashes) appear in the left. I think it has to do with the placement of where the players are on stage, which the sound field keeps very accurate. It looks like Chester is a bit more centered. Plus, Chester's left most cymbals are very close to Ralph's right most cymbal, so maybe it's bleed over from Ralph's mikes. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

You have this backward, unless of course you are referring to viewers view not theirs?

New fan to Zappa
This is a magnificent DVD for anyone who wants to see real musicians performing at their peak.
Love it! The mix is great but not a real 5.1 experience sadly.

I just receive this yesterday but haven't listened to the surround mix yet. One question; the first sentence of Gail's comments in the liner notes talk about the quad mix. Why wasn't that used? Someone alluded to it being "damaged" is it more damage beyond the poor synchronization? Even if that's the case couldn't they have provided audio only?

Regardless the fact that all of these 4.0 mixes are sitting in a vault somewhere is excruciating when I listen to my $70 Overnite 8-track, thinking how great it COULD sound on a reel or lossless.

Maybe if ALL of us buy that Chicago Quad Box Set, it would convince them to release more of Frank's Stuff. Apparently everything had a quad mix through the lasts 70s...

I just receive this yesterday but haven't listened to the surround mix yet. One question; the first sentence of Gail's comments in the liner notes talk about the quad mix. Why wasn't that used? Someone alluded to it being "damaged" is it more damage beyond the poor synchronization? Even if that's the case couldn't they have provided audio only?

Regardless the fact that all of these 4.0 mixes are sitting in a vault somewhere is excruciating when I listen to my $70 Overnite 8-track, thinking how great it COULD sound on a reel or lossless.

Maybe if ALL of us buy that Chicago Quad Box Set, it would convince them to release more of Frank's Stuff. Apparently everything had a quad mix through the lasts 70s...

I myself would very much like to see some form of DVDA or BLU-RAY or DVD or even DTS CD when it comes to both APOSTROPHE and OVERNIGHT SENSATION of which I enjoyed in quad very much.
I still have my CD-4 discs of both these discs and want very much to obtain an upgrade.

But two things, I believe are preventing this;

Zappa Family Trust had no interest for any upgrade versions (at least since 2004)

and

The label has changed from Warner to Universal, again they have shown little interest for any quads being issued.For the most part their surround releases seem to be artist driven.

Let's hope those attitudes change one day soon, because there is a burgeoning Quad/5.1 market today.

Back