Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the 7.1

Soup 71.jpg

I really don't know for sure... I'd like to... any of you Atmos guys know for sure?

Haha. I guess we have the answer. No dedicated 5.1 mix.

In the end, the 5.1 mixes are just outputted from the 7.1 Atmos mixing software. I have not heard of any Atmos music releases that got a specific new 5.1 mix in the same release. So although I did want the 5.1 option like Abbey Road got, big picture is it doesn't really matter much. The 7.1 Atmos track should downmix fine to 5.1.

I need to find a setting in KODI to blank the screen while playing. Really annoying to have this on the screen for the whole album. It's not a still, it's animated :oops:

View attachment 55961

Unless you are using Kodi for Atmos, the simple answer is to convert to Flac and have Kodi play that?

Unless you are using Kodi for Atmos, the simple answer is to convert to Flac and have Kodi play that?

FLAC supports Dolby Atmos? I am playing the BD image with Kodi. So it's technically a video, I guess. Maybe I can use MKV instead which should preserve the Atmos audio.

Jon was the site down for the past few hours.....I was unable to get in?

Yes, but that's not me anymore. That's Angie, and she took care of it.

SPEAKING OF ANGIE!!! :) Here is "Angie" in 7.1. I was very interested in hearing what was in the height channels (or whatever they are). So I cut them out and pasted them into a stereo file to listen to them on the PC. It was very cool, as it is two acoustic guitars, one in each speaker, all by themselves (No Mick). Very detailed. These guitars are obviously also in the other channels, but this is the kind of thing I like to hear, individual instruments just to hear how and what they're playing.

Angie 71.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the wav shot of the 5.1, the entire album. Not that it means anything, but at least it's not brickwalled, or the fronts brickwalled

To clarify, this is the lossy DD 5.1 'core' of the 7.1 TrueHD? Or did you downmix the lossless 7.1 TrueHD to 5.1?

Looks like there's some cool stuff happening in the rears.

SPEAKING OF ANGIE!!! :) Here is "Angie" in 7.1. I was very interested in hearing what was in the height channels (or whatever they are). So I cut them out and pasted them into a stereo file to listen to them on the PC. It was very cool, as it is two acoustic guitars, one in each speaker. Very detailed. These guitars are obviously also in the other channels, but this is the kind of thing I like to hear, individual instruments just to hear how and what they're playing.

View attachment 55963
Thanks for verifying that Jon....much appreciated!! :D

Now the 5.1 mix of "Angie". So Mick is in all 5 channels, but he's loudest in the center, which also has bass and piano, so it's not just him. The piano is also in the other channels at different volumes, which pretty much describes this mix. It is not "discrete", it's more of a spacious mix. There are some string swells when Mick whispers "Angie", and those are mostly in the rears (you can see them in the wav file, but again, they are also in the fronts at a lesser level.

On my PC the mix sounds a bit loud, but I don't have real audio speakers here. I'll listen downstairs in a bit.

Sadly, just like all of these other box sets, all I did was take out the bluray, then put the box on a shelf with all of the other. I really don't care about the rest of the stuff. Bullmoose shipping was awesome. Very well packed and shipped quick.

GOOD JOB BULLMOOSE!!

SPEAKING OF ANGIE!!! :) Here is "Angie" in 7.1. I was very interested in hearing what was in the height channels (or whatever they are). So I cut them out and pasted them into a stereo file to listen to them on the PC. It was very cool, as it is two acoustic guitars, one in each speaker. Very detailed. These guitars are obviously also in the other channels, but this is the kind of thing I like to hear, individual instruments just to hear how and what they're playing.

View attachment 55963

Atmos uses metadata to steer the proper sounds to the top channels. You would have to record the analog out top channels through an Atmos processor to really get what is up there. I believe Baggy has done this with Abbey Road. Maybe he could do this one too and share?

To clarify, this is the lossy DD 5.1 'core' of the 7.1 TrueHD? Or did you downmix the lossless 7.1 TrueHD to 5.1?

The 5.1 mix is ON THE DISC. I did not downmix anything. Check out the MakeMKV screenshot. I had to use audiomuxer twice, once to get the output.flac in 5.1, then again on the 7.1 to get that.

There are TWO separate mixes, although the 5.1 is DD, not TrueHD

The 5.1 mix is ON THE DISC. I did not downmix anything. Check out the MakeMKV screenshot. I had to use audiomuxer twice, once to get the output.flac in 5.1, then again on the 7.1 to get that.

Oh! So all the chatter about it being Atmos only is not correct I guess. On the menu, there is a choice for DD 5.1 and Atmos?

Too bad they didn't do it like the Abbey Road with a lossless 5.1...

Oh! So all the chatter about it being Atmos only is not correct I guess. On the menu, there is a choice for DD 5.1 and Atmos?

Looks to be the core of the TruHD track, looking at the MakeMKV screenshot.

Edit...some don't like the term core in this instance and prefer fallback DD 5.1 track.

Last edited:
Here is a look at those 6th and 7th channels of Angie. I boosted the volume a bit, and I also have a less-than-a-minute MP3 of a section of it. I don't know if it's downmixed or created, but it's what AudioMuxer pulled out of the 7.1 MKV file.

Heights wav.jpg

Attachments

• 16-44 Sample.mp3
    1.7 MB · Views: 118

Basically, so then no 5.1 TrueHD in there; so that's why for us with only a 5.1 system (to store in digital back-up) I guess we need to merge the 4 & 5 with the 6 & 7, that way we can adjust the levels to our liking. Also since the 7.1 is a Hi-Res compared to the DD. Yeah, I'm still curious what's separated out in those heights.

Well, the packaging for Goats Head Soup is undeniably gorgeous and an actual Jamaican recipe for Goats Head Soup is included [YUM]. Initial impressions:
Favorable but not overwhelming for those of us who like our remixes DISCRETE.

As Jon indicated from his graphs, there is on the plus side no brickwalling. Everything is clear and concise. When ANGIE played, I have to admit I had a few goosebumps......sounds like a brand new recording with the rears awash with Mick's stunning vocals and those strings.....Oh, so sweet!

I did play the Universal Stereo SHM~SACD of GHS the other day and actually prefer this newly remixed/remastered BD~A. I'm not equipped for ATMOS and will be anxious to hear the reaction of those who do, but for now, I consider this 2020 remix/remaster of the Stones' classic somewhat definitive.

I just wish for those who did not invest in this box set [it's NOT cheap] that a future stand alone BD~A is released and another question arises: Will ALL future Stones' remixes be indivually released as massive box sets....and if so, will Sticky Fingers come with a REAL ZIPPER on the cover like the fab original gatefold LP, which, BTW, hasn't been UNZIPPED since the early 70's!

The three included videos [LPCM Stereo 48/24] are also a nice bonus ...... With Mick in a skintight Gold Lame jumpsuit singing his heart out on Dancing With Mr. D!

Last edited:
Back