Steven Wilson Yes "Fragile" Super Deluxe Edition out in June with Dolby Atmos mix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got into multichannel music only a couple years ago. "Fragile" was the one title that I REALLY wanted, which of course was long out of print and going for silly money. Finally managed to snag a DVD-A copy off of Discogs for relatively inexpensive. Was always looking for a blu-ray copy. After Super Deluxe version of "The Yes Album" came out, I was hoping they would do this to "Fragile". I'll wait until the price drops down to $70 or so (I got "The Yes Album" for $60), and will still be ahead of what the old blu-ray prices were going for. This makes me happy, even if I don't want the vinyl either.

Do they really make money off these bloated boxsets? Surely far more people would buy it if they had the option to just buy a Blu-Ray, or just buy the vinyl, or whatever they want? In my eyes this just drives people who only want the digital version to piracy.

My thoughts exactly, and this coming from someone who actually likes vinyl and appreciates an analogue cut by Bernie Grundman (he's really good at that).

At least it's not an oversized box that takes way too much space besides being horribly expensive - to be honest I stopped buying any of those some time ago. This, or the Jethro Tull "book" editions, are quite okay (I actually love the format), but something like the Rush anniversary editions is absolutely not for me. As usual, YMMV.

We just moved to a house an year ago and not that my physical media collection is that extensive. I seem to have a gut feeling that any space will eventually run out and large box sets take more space. I have stopped buying vinyl even though I became nuts about collecting them. Blu-Rays take way less space and entertain you too.

We just moved to a house an year ago and not that my physical media collection is that extensive. I seem to have a gut feeling that any space will eventually run out and large box sets take more space. I have stopped buying vinyl even though I became nuts about collecting them. Blu-Rays take way less space and entertain you too.
That is what blank walls are for.

Attachments

• 20240310_150528.jpg
    20240310_150528.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I got into multichannel music only a couple years ago. "Fragile" was the one title that I REALLY wanted, which of course was long out of print and going for silly money. Finally managed to snag a DVD-A copy off of Discogs for relatively inexpensive. Was always looking for a blu-ray copy. After Super Deluxe version of "The Yes Album" came out, I was hoping they would do this to "Fragile". I'll wait until the price drops down to $70 or so (I got "The Yes Album" for $60), and will still be ahead of what the old blu-ray prices were going for. This makes me happy, even if I don't want the vinyl either.
Did you get the original Fragile DVD-A from 2002 or the Steven Wilson version from 2015?

The previous The Yes Album and Fragile are some of my favorite 5.1 blu ray discs in my collection. I am not willing to pay $80 /$100 dollars /boxset when I only want the Dolby Atmos mixes also. Adding Vinyl never made any sense to me in box sets except to raise the price of these box sets. I will make do with checking out Dolby Atmos streaming also but probably still listen to the 5.1 mixes for better sound quality after sampling the streaming on Apple Music.
Listening on a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos system.

I'd prefer a stand alone for sure but this is the album that started it all for me as a die hard yes fan, prog rocker & serious music listener back in 8th grade in the Spring of 1983 when I bought it on vinyl at the local K-Mart. So, I pre-ordered through Amazon and I will wait & see for importcds price.

Even though I have all the Yes blu-rays, I'll buy every one of these deluxe editions except maybe Tales. Fragile was my first Yes record and still my favorite, even though there's some filler on it.

I'm afraid I'll end up doing the same, being in the same situation. Including Tales of course - my favourite Yes album, and a "desert island album" for me.

If only they could find the multitracks of Going for the One... Awaken in surround would be something else.

Reactions: SHB
While I understand most Yes fans probably have little use for single edits, I do find it curious that the single edit of "America" is not included since other single versions ("Roundabout", "Long Distance Runaround") are part of the set.

I shudder to think how much Rhino will charge for the eventual reissue of Tales bundled with double vinyl. It's really a shame that they decided to go the route which short changes fans of both digital and analog formats. If they had separated the two formats, they could have offered standalone blu-rays for the surround and hi-res stereo mixes at a lower cost, and gorgeous gatefold recreations for the vinyl - possibly with imaginatively colored heavy weight vinyl. Just take a look at the beautiful (if hideously pricey) Kate Bush vinyl reissues to see what's possible. Instead we get the expensive mixed format bundle with boring black vinyl and a bunch of under utilized digital discs. Too bad.

For curious Canadians, Rhino Canada (through Warner Music) have it for CAD$159.99, but with a $24 discount using the code of SHOP15, so CAD$135.99 before taxes/shipping (to Alberta the total for me is CAD$159.62, but those out east may save on the CAD$22.50 shipping). No listing on Amazon.ca yet, but importing from Amazon US to Alberta would be around CAD$165, so no savings there. I'll be waiting a bit to see other prices, but here's the Rhino/Warner link:

The Yes Album (Canada)

Back