DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
Similar message from Amazon US. My suspicion, unless EMI really does send replacements directly to consumers, is that we will have to return the faulty set and get a full replacement once Amazon is comfortable that the steps they have are fixed.
That may indeed be the case but the Jethro Tull website explicitly states that EMI will make a replacement DVD disc available to anyone who has purchased the defective one. http://www.jethrotull.com/ Unfortunately, the information has been posted for some time without any specifics on how that will be done.

I am not about to return my set if EMI drops the ball. As I've said before, the flat transfer of the original 1972 album is worth having the DVD even if defective otherwise.

On the other hand, supposedly I have until the end of January to change my mind and return it to Amazon, hoping someone someday will be selling a non-defective set! Somehow I just don't like those odds.

It's the busiest time of the year for retailers, so I'd expect getting the replacement disc into sets at retail (including Amazon) will take a while. Perhaps EMI will indeed send replacements directly to consumers, but given my experiences with them over time, I'd not hold my breath on that one - hope to be proven wrong though. I think Amazon will eventually get fixed sets, hopefully within the return window for those of us who bought the dud.

Just got this yesterday, and a treat already...
wonderful mix ( I can't tell the diff between DTS 96/24 and MLP 96/24)
and ..it took me halfway thru the disc to FIND THE LYRICS in the really long booklet!(but I found the Italian And German lyrics immediately!)
Great packaging...
From what I see , I think it's a BIT too expensive, but I guess the BOOK that it comes in has got to add a LOT of extra cost to the manufacturing costs...

Just got this yesterday, and a treat already...
wonderful mix ( I can't tell the diff between DTS 96/24 and MLP 96/24)
and ..it took me halfway thru the disc to FIND THE LYRICS in the really long booklet!(but I found the Italian And German lyrics immediately!)
Great packaging...
From what I see , I think it's a BIT too expensive, but I guess the BOOK that it comes in has got to add a LOT of extra cost to the manufacturing costs...

how are you finding the extreme brightness Kap'n..?

My replacement DVD just arrived from EMI Germany. No chance to listen to it yet but I have the hope everything will be ok now.

Markus

My replacement DVD just arrived from EMI Germany. No chance to listen to it yet but I have the hope everything will be ok now.

Markus

that's great news Markus! I'm hopeful that your replacement is everything SW originally intended and that in time everyone in every country who bought this set in good faith can also receive a corrected disc.

And from Burning Shed via Twitter:

"Jethro Tull 'Thick As A Brick' replacement DVDs just arrived - we will ship as fast as possible to anyone waiting. New stock to buy soon. "

I'm sure Lisa will get them to us real soon!

This is great news !
I am sure that SW is very happy that this is happening within what I consider a plausible time frame. :smokin

I just posted a message on the Jethro Tull forum to see if anyone there has a direct connection with anyone at EMI who can get those of us who bought one at a local record store a replacement disc[as soon as i get reply i'll let you know].

I just posted a message on the Jethro Tull forum to see if anyone there has a direct connection with anyone at EMI who can get those of us who bought one at a local record store a replacement disc[as soon as i get reply i'll let you know].

FYI - I got my Wish You Were Here box at a local store and managed to get a replacement blu-ray from the store (via EMI New Zealand) after they talked to EMI.

I just reordered from Amazon UK, having returned my original copy for credit, and I'm happy to report that the DVD is fixed.

I'd suggest ordering from Amazon rather than a marketplace seller for a better chance of getting the fixed version.

Tim

Hi, first post!

I agree with most that there are problems with the DVD and I was really disappointed after the excellent Aqualung Blu Ray. I play mine via the analog outputs of an Oppo 93.

Hopefully a replacement disc will sort this out. Mine was from Burning Shed, so hopefully there will be no problems. If EMI had exercised a little quality control, the money saved might have funded a Blu Ray release!!!

I realise this is a quad/surround forum, but I also notice mastering problems on the vinyl release, which would be the stereo remix. The level is low, bass low and to top it off, both TAAB 1 and 2 have clicks from new (even after a clean!). I feel ripped off.

Geoff

Welcome to QQ, Geoff!

Yes, surround sound is our reason for being here. There are threads like "Listening to in fake Quad (synthesized)," "What's the latest CD/LP in your collection," and even "Listening to in MONO, blasphemous." So, it's OK to discuss 2 ch LP's and such. If everything were available in surround, perhaps we wouldn't need to do so.

...I realise this is a quad/surround forum, but I also notice mastering problems on the vinyl release, which would be the stereo remix. The level is low, bass low and to top it off, both TAAB 1 and 2 have clicks from new (even after a clean!). I feel ripped off.

Geoff

The replacement DVD is much better than the original. Rear speakers are more up in the mix, drums sound better, as do acoustic guitars.

I did not A/B'ed the whole album, just the first 10 minutes, but overall a better sound. Receivedd the replacement from EMI Germany.

Back