DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
So I wonder how long it will be before the fixed disc is actually released in the box. I didn't get my set yet.

good question! as a follow on I'm wondering how would one be able to work out if you've got the fixed version or not (if buying it for the first time, I mean, as opposed to getting a replacement for the set you've already got)..!?

Hello. I e-mailed Lisa in regards to when they expect to have the corrected version for sale. I returned my order to Amazon, unopened. I'm going to re-order through Burning Shed (which I should've done in the first place). They currently show out of stock; they would send out anything that isn't the corrected version. Thanks.

good question! as a follow on I'm wondering how would one be able to work out if you've got the fixed version or not (if buying it for the first time, I mean, as opposed to getting a replacement for the set you've already got)..!?

Presumably you mean how will one know when ordering that the set contains the fixed disc? I think the answer is that you won't, not for sure. I have not read whether affected but unsold stock will be pulled or not, or just shipped and then replaced after the fact. If you mean how will one know that one has the fixed disc post purchase? Just listen to it. If you can't tell then it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Presumably you mean how will one know when ordering that the set contains the fixed disc? I think the answer is that you won't, not for sure. I have not read whether affected but unsold stock will be pulled or not, or just shipped and then replaced after the fact. If you mean how will one know that one has the fixed disc post purchase? Just listen to it. If you can't tell then it doesn't matter one way or the other.

I was thinking for first time buyers.

Sometimes with these recalled/fixed things there are indications, admittedly mostly only to those who read around the subject a bit, that reflect you've either got a fixed disc or the original goofed one (like different UPCs, etc.. or, for example, in the case of the DTS Band on the Run which was initially a purple coloured disc, the fixed discs yellow.. etc..).

I sincerely hope I'll be able to tell the difference if/when the replacement comes along just by listening to it, as I was one of the first dissenting voices about this set on here - to me the DVD, as is, is sonically lacking and I'm not happy with it.

If I do receive a fixed replacement and I can't detect any improvement then I'll probably end up selling the set.

I was thinking for first time buyers.

Sometimes with these recalled/fixed things there are indications, admittedly mostly only to those who read around the subject a bit, that reflect you've either got a fixed disc or the original goofed one (like different UPCs, etc.. or, for example, in the case of the DTS Band on the Run which was initially a purple coloured disc, the fixed discs yellow.. etc..).

I sincerely hope I'll be able to tell the difference if/when the replacement comes along just by listening to it, as I was one of the first dissenting voices about this set on here - to me the DVD, as is, is sonically lacking and I'm not happy with it.

If I do receive a fixed replacement and I can't detect any improvement then I'll probably end up selling the set.

Good point! I know when I got my replacement Seconds Out discs that the code was different, just not sure how one would know to look as a first time buyer. I wonder, for example, how many people without the benefitbofvplaces like this just return the set thinking itbjustbsounds lousy.

BTW, I never actually noticed the glitches, but the distorted, phasey treble gave me an immediate headache.

Just received this in email this morning. Burning Shed has always been the very best for customer support!

Hi,

Thanks for buying Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition) (cd/dvd) from us.

As you may be aware there was a manufacturing problem with the DVD element of this album and we have been waiting for EMI to confirm a solution for all our customers to fix this.

Replacement DVDs are being produced now and as soon as we receive them here we'll be sending one to you. EMI haven't given us a delivery time but we certainly hope it won't take too long!

You don't need to do anything - we will send them out automatically and we do not need you to return anything to us.

Thanks for bearing with us on this. We can't wait for you to hear the full glory of the album as Steven Wilson truly intended!

Kind regards

Lisa Quattromini

Has anyone received a coherent response from Amazon USA about how to handle this replacement disc? I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with them this morning and was told I should return the set and they will issue a replacement - trouble is, I fully expext that I will just get another copy of the flawed disc. I have until Dec 10th to decide I suppose.

I also noted that Burning Shed now lists this set as 'out of stock'. I wonder if they really are, or have put stock on hold pending the replacment disc, or have returned unsold stock to EMI?

I'm glad I knew of the forthcoming replacement disc before listening to the 5.1 for the first time last night. Wow, the EQ is hard on the ears. I also found the output in the rear speakers to be rather low. As a result many important parts were somewhat buried until I turned up the rears. I'm wondering if this is also a byproduct of the faulty mastering as I've never before felt the need to adjust the level of the rears for any other Steven Wilson mix.

That being said I think the 5.1 mix itself is wonderful. I look forward to the glitch-free flat transfer.

Amazon USA has posted the following on their web site: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S6B480/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008S6B480&linkCode=as2&tag=fuel2000recor-20
"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Of course, that is their standard response in situations like this. At least they are acknowledging the problem.
I think I have until the end of January to return mine, so I hope the replacement discs are available by then.

Amazon USA has posted the following on their web site: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S6B480/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008S6B480&linkCode=as2&tag=fuel2000recor-20
"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Of course, that is their standard response in situations like this. At least they are acknowledging the problem.
I think I have until the end of January to return mine, so I hope the replacement discs are available by then.

Yes, just noticed the update on Amazon. I see Burning Shed have the item listed as 'out of stock' - but perhaps really just on hold? I wonder how pipeline stock will be fixed - returned to EMI or fixed in the field?

I've been so busy lately dealing with the effects of hurricane Sandy that I had no time to order this yet. I guess there is a silver lining in every cloud. Perhaps they will do the same as with Opeth, Blackwater Park. When you purchased a new copy they simply sent a replacement copy along with the original package. Don't know how this will work out in retail though.
Phil.

It's good news that TAAB is being replaced, but what about Aqualung? To me, the glitches in that are far worse. I cringe every time I get to My God, just waiting for that awful noise....

My advice is to ask EMI about the Aqualung situation.(though Steven Wilson has acknowledged that he knows about the Blu ray glitches)

My advice is to ask EMI about the Aqualung situation.(though Steven Wilson has acknowledged that he knows about the Blu ray glitches)

It's very hard to find a contact email address for EMI. However, I did eventually find this one: [email protected]

I will post back here if I get a response!

Any news on getting a replacement DVD or fixed box for TAAB?

Tim

Nothing yet. I can`t understand why there is no feedback like "thanks for your email. We are working on the problem... ". Now everybody is unsure and perhaps contacts EMI again and again. I send my address but I don`t know it made it to the "replacement receiver" list.

Markus

Any news on getting a replacement DVD or fixed box for TAAB?

Tim

I have been wondering the same thing as I ordered from amazon uk and didn't think it would be worth it to send back and have been waiting to see when replacement disk's will be sent out as they did send out replacement disk's to people that had problems with Pink Floyd Wish You Were here Bluray problems.

Has anyone received a replacement disk from amazon uk?

I got this response from Amazon UK (n).

Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk Order #xxxxx

Hello,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced with this item "Thick As a Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition)".

This item is currently under review because a customer recently told us that there was a problem with the item. We're working to resolve this as quickly as possible. The item won't be available to buy directly from Amazon.co.uk until we've finished our investigation but in the meantime you may still find that it's available from third-party sellers.

Hence we are unable to replace the item. However you may contact EMI Music so that they may replace the item.

If they do not replace the item, we suggest you to return the item back to us for a full refund.

Please click on the following link to be brought to your personalised return label and follow the instructions provided:

And as a follow up I got this :mad::
Hello,

I do understand that you need contact details of EMI music.

I've checked our records, but couldn't find the contact details of EMI music.

However, you can their contact details at their website:

www.emimusic.com

.........​

I did find a NZ email address: [email protected]

Haven't bothered sending a message yet though.... or should I use a UK address??

I got this response from Amazon UK (n).

Subject: Your Amazon.co.uk Order #xxxxx

Hello,

I am sorry for the issues you have experienced with this item "Thick As a Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition)".

This item is currently under review because a customer recently told us that there was a problem with the item. We're working to resolve this as quickly as possible. The item won't be available to buy directly from Amazon.co.uk until we've finished our investigation but in the meantime you may still find that it's available from third-party sellers.

Hence we are unable to replace the item. However you may contact EMI Music so that they may replace the item.

If they do not replace the item, we suggest you to return the item back to us for a full refund.

Please click on the following link to be brought to your personalised return label and follow the instructions provided:

And as a follow up I got this :mad::
Hello,

I do understand that you need contact details of EMI music.

I've checked our records, but couldn't find the contact details of EMI music.

However, you can their contact details at their website:

www.emimusic.com

.........​

I did find a NZ email address: [email protected]

Haven't bothered sending a message yet though.... or should I use a UK address??

The UK email address is a no op in my experience, so might as well try NZ.

Tim

Similar message from Amazon US. My suspicion, unless EMI really does send replacements directly to consumers, is that we will have to return the faulty set and get a full replacement once Amazon is comfortable that the steps they have are fixed.

Back