Today's Quad Vinyl Flea Market Finds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen discussions on the forum before about wheather or not there were Dynaflex Quadradiscs. It was determined that yes, there are some.

My lucky butt found another 99 cent quad

eugeneormandy398075.jpg

The one pictured is not the exact same release. Mine is branded with the fancier Quadradisc logo, and the cover and record label are both branded Quadradisc and Dynaflex.

Here is the thing. In my oppinion. It is not a Dynaflex. In fact, it even seems to be on the better quadradisc compliant vinyl.

If this is somehow a Dynaflex, it is the heaviest, most ridgid, non-flexable Dynaflex I have ever seen.

But yet there is Dynaflex branding on both the jacket and record label

figure that one out :mad:@:

It was probably a Dynaflex originally. Yours may be a later pressing.
I have seen discussions on the forum before about wheather or not there were Dynaflex Quadradiscs. It was determined that yes, there are some.

My lucky butt found another 99 cent quad

View attachment 8113

The one pictured is not the exact same release. Mine is branded with the fancier Quadradisc logo, and the cover and record label are both branded Quadradisc and Dynaflex.

Here is the thing. In my oppinion. It is not a Dynaflex. In fact, it even seems to be on the better quadradisc compliant vinyl.

If this is somehow a Dynaflex, it is the heaviest, most ridgid, non-flexable Dynaflex I have ever seen.

But yet there is Dynaflex branding on both the jacket and record label

figure that one out :mad:@:

Which shouldn't be hard to do, since quad classical titles should not cost much (don't think I've ever paid over $5 for one) and most are not difficult to find, either.

ED :)

Except for maybe when you get into the Switched-On Bach/Tomita territory.

You know, I have the SOB Q8, but for the life of me, I can't find the SQ (in person, not on ebay)

As far a classical recordings are concerned, is there a posting of which recording appear to be "real" surround as opposed to just ambience?

Another 99 cent quad last night

Herbie Mann Hold On, I'm Coming Recorded Live At The 1972 New York & Montreux Jazz Festivals CD-4 Quadradisc

Well, last night I picked up a copy of this at a book/record store for $20

Blue-Oyster-Cult-Secret-Treaties--366295.jpg

Interesting. No reviews or many comments about this title on the board. None for sale anywhere online. Glad I picked this thing up. It was probabaly my only shot.

Found this one yesterday; Judy Colors - Colors of the Day CD-4. 50 cents!

Those cheap quads are still out there! The record collectors and dealers don't buy them cause they don't know what to do with them.

You know. Collecting quad is the ultimate addiction if you are already a collector and a record collector. You are moving into territory where there were multiple formats, each only really running a handful of years, and most titles only having limited runs. Gives you more of a challenge.

IMHO, Secret Treaties is a great Quad and the best BOC album. I have a Q8, SQ & expanded CD of it. The expanded CD features these bonus tracks:
9. Boorman the Chauffer - (previously unreleased)
10. Mommy - (previously unreleased)
11. Mes Dames Sarat - (previously unreleased)
12. Born to Be Wild - (single B-side)
13. Career of Evil - (single version)

Their version of Born to be Wild is very good! Listen to it in Quad and get the expanded CD for the bonus tracks.

Got this sickness to live that I might die.

Except for maybe when you get into the Switched-On Bach/Tomita territory.

In terms of price, SOB can be found cheaply; so can the occasional US Tomita quad, though dealers tend to price them up a bit. The Japanese pressings, of course, go for bigger bucks.

ED :)

Tonight was a 99 cent classical SQ night

Boulez Conducts Boulez (SQ)

Leonard Bernstein Conducts Haydn (SQ)

Anthony Newman Bach Concerto In D Minor/Haydn Concerto in D Major (SQ)

George Crumb Night Of The Four Moons/ Voice Of The Whale (SQ)

Anthony Newman Lutheran Organ Mass (SQ)

A Surround Spectacular Michael Tilson Thomas Carmina Burana (SQ)

Great finds. I have them all. Although I bought a couple later Carmina Burana's on Telarc, this one may be the best performance. The SQ may have been the only LP pressing of it.

"What you Haydn, Joseph?" = Danny Kaye as Red Nichols in the Five Pennies.

61buRCoJ3NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tonight was a 99 cent classical SQ night

Boulez Conducts Boulez (SQ)

Leonard Bernstein Conducts Haydn (SQ)

Anthony Newman Bach Concerto In D Minor/Haydn Concerto in D Major (SQ)

George Crumb Night Of The Four Moons/ Voice Of The Whale (SQ)

Anthony Newman Lutheran Organ Mass (SQ)

A Surround Spectacular Michael Tilson Thomas Carmina Burana (SQ)

Thanks for this reminder, I have this Carmina Burana sq lp too, also found at a goodwill. I'll have to listen to it again.

In preperation for the holidays, I just bought one of these online for $5. Christmas in quad :D :D :D

sqchristmas.jpg

sqchristmas2.jpg

Okay I went to the flea market and went quad crazy.

I got all these for $45, no individual prices as I bargained for them all:

Sound Effects Vol. 3 Sounds Of Today And Tomorrow (QS)

Sound Effects Vol. 6 Sounds Of Amusement (QS)

A second copy Of The Doobie Brothers What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits (CD-4)

Peter Nero Summer Of '42 (SQ)

Lynn Anderson Rose Garden (SQ)

Mac Davis Stop And Smell The Roses (SQ)

Virgil Fox Heavy Organ At Carnegie Hall (CD-4)

Liza Minnelli The Singer (SQ)

Joan Baez Come From The Shadows (QS)

The Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night (SQ)

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic (QS)

Gil Evans Svengali (CD-4)

Colors Of The Day The Best Of Judi Collins (CD-4)

Garfunkel Angel Clare (SQ)

Carole King Music (QS?)

Melissa Manchester Better Days And Happy Endings (CD-4)

Yep. All that for $45

Also a couple others:

Carly Simon No Secrets (CD-4) $3

Bread Baby I'm-A Want You (CD-4) $2

And If all that Isn't mind blowing enough. For $3:

Heathkit Stereo-4 Decoder AD-2002

Yes, $3

Thanks Dr 8. This has to be up there with my best one-day quad hauls, possibly the best! I can't wait to see if those sound effects records are neat, I don't see any posts about them. Also, I can't wait to see how this little decoder works!

Back