Today's Quad Vinyl Flea Market Finds

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the entire Ovation sound effects series on QS LP's. They are a fun listen, an acquired taste and a decent demo. They are limited by the QS format.

My recollection of the Heathkit AD-2002 is that it is an EV-4 decoder. Many early Ovation titles are encoded with this system.

Heathkit_AD-2002.jpg

Yeah, the only thing I have found about it here is that it is likely an EV-4 decoder. I don't believe I have any EV-4 titles. Does EV-4 decode well? That was an early, if not the earliest matrix format wasn't it? I'm glad to have one, I'm guessing there aren't many around. Mine is missing the silver tip on the first knob, but I can't really complain at three dollars.

How many discs are there in the sound effects series? I may try to find all of these, I've always been a fan of stereo sound effects records.

From Mark Anderson's Quad Discography:

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of the City. OVQD-1501 (QS)
{The above title was originally released in EV encoding. version marked
as SQ or QS may actually be EV. This title may have been originally
released in EV and remastered for QS.}

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of Railroad Nostalgia.
OVQD-1502 (QS)
{The above title was originally released in EV encoding. version marked
as SQ or QS may actually be EV. This title may have been originally
released in EV and remastered for QS.}

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of Today & Tommorrow.
OVQD-1503 (QS)

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of the Road. OVQD-1504 (QS)

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of Nature. OVQD-1505 (QS)

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of Amusement. OVQD-1506 (QS)

Ovation Quad Sound Effects/Sounds of the Sea. OVQD-1507 (QS)

...How many discs are there in the sound effects series? I may try to find all of these, I've always been a fan of stereo sound effects records.

Thanks Dr 8. This has to be up there with my best one-day quad hauls, possibly the best! I can't wait to see if those sound effects records are neat, I don't see any posts about them. Also, I can't wait to see how this little decoder works!

I stopped by a record store in a neighboring town today that I'd totally forgotten about until I saw a recent ad of theirs on Craigslist. Unfortunately, I showed up an hour before it opened. I'd hoped that maybe this obscure little shop might have a bunch of hidden quad gems. I had some other things to do, so didn't make it back today, but they're open again tomorrow so you've inspired me to give it another try.

Okay I went to the flea market and went quad crazy.

I got all these for $45, no individual prices as I bargained for them all:

Sound Effects Vol. 3 Sounds Of Today And Tomorrow (QS)

Sound Effects Vol. 6 Sounds Of Amusement (QS)

A second copy Of The Doobie Brothers What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits (CD-4)

Peter Nero Summer Of '42 (SQ)

Lynn Anderson Rose Garden (SQ)

Mac Davis Stop And Smell The Roses (SQ)

Virgil Fox Heavy Organ At Carnegie Hall (CD-4)

Liza Minnelli The Singer (SQ)

Joan Baez Come From The Shadows (QS)

The Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night (SQ)

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic (QS)

Gil Evans Svengali (CD-4)

Colors Of The Day The Best Of Judi Collins (CD-4)

Garfunkel Angel Clare (SQ)

Carole King Music (QS?)

Melissa Manchester Better Days And Happy Endings (CD-4)

Yep. All that for $45

Also a couple others:

Carly Simon No Secrets (CD-4) $3

Bread Baby I'm-A Want You (CD-4) $2

And If all that Isn't mind blowing enough. For $3:

Heathkit Stereo-4 Decoder AD-2002

Yes, $3

I think I should go to Ohio for my next holiday !!

Okay I went to the flea market and went quad crazy.

I got all these for $45, no individual prices as I bargained for them all:

Sound Effects Vol. 3 Sounds Of Today And Tomorrow (QS)

Sound Effects Vol. 6 Sounds Of Amusement (QS)

A second copy Of The Doobie Brothers What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits (CD-4)

Peter Nero Summer Of '42 (SQ)

Lynn Anderson Rose Garden (SQ)

Mac Davis Stop And Smell The Roses (SQ)

Virgil Fox Heavy Organ At Carnegie Hall (CD-4)

Liza Minnelli The Singer (SQ)

Joan Baez Come From The Shadows (QS)

The Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night (SQ)

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic (QS)

Gil Evans Svengali (CD-4)

Colors Of The Day The Best Of Judi Collins (CD-4)

Garfunkel Angel Clare (SQ)

Carole King Music (QS?)

Melissa Manchester Better Days And Happy Endings (CD-4)

Yep. All that for $45

Also a couple others:

Carly Simon No Secrets (CD-4) $3

Bread Baby I'm-A Want You (CD-4) $2

And If all that Isn't mind blowing enough. For $3:

Heathkit Stereo-4 Decoder AD-2002

Yes, $3

Awesome score!!!

Justin

This might be cheating for the subject because I got them on Ebay, but I got a pretty good score that just arrived today. My lucky 13! Paid $33 for them plus shipping. They really truly are all in EX condition as the seller stated, which I've found accurate record grading to be rare. All in their original cello plus they have the plastic album covers. They all appear to have originally been purchased from a record store called Korvette's because they have the original store price tags on the cello. They are;

Poco Seven SQ
Poco Deliverin' SQ
Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits SQ
Friends of Distinction Greatest Hits CD-4
The Best of The Doors CD-4 ( I now have 2 copies of this, so if anyone wants to trade let me know)
Blood Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits SQ
Graham Central Station Ain't No Bout A Doubt It CD-4
Guess Who Road Food CD-4
Bread Baby I'm A Want You CD-4
Percy Faith Clair SQ
Percy Faith Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet SQ
Barbra Streisand Live Concert At the Forum SQ ( I now have 2 copies, so again, if anyone has any trades let me know)
Barbra Joan Streisand SQ

Ah, Korvettes. Two stores' closing elicited my tears: Tower Records and Korvettes. Korvettes was the world's largest seller of records and tapes in the Quad days. Their origins were in NYC. They got as far west as Chicago. It was a department store with low prices, and merchandised like a mall department store. Many stores had two levels and even multiple buildings called Korvette City. There were many stores within a store: home improvement, liquor, grocery, tires/auto repair, pharmacy, records/tapes and even a hi-fi salon with its' own XAM line of components. West Coast people don't know what they missed.

Most stores had 20 copies of each quad LP in stock!!

5361843996_4345eeea7f.jpg

2874214632_15b385e61f.jpg

2874216246_d8814e67b7.jpg

korvettes.jpg

wsj_malls_face_surge_korvette_shopping_center_1960s_110407.jpg

70's pressing of Something New w/Korvettes price sticker:
120898734203.jpg

121015_DK_KorvettesAd.jpg

Bus stop in front of Korvettes in my old neighborhood. It was directly across from Cermak Plaza w/the Wayne's World Car Kabob. Notice that the bus goes to Argo. Knock, knock. Who's there? Argo...
korvette+north+riverside+il+1976+pleasantfamilyshopping.jpg

cermak+plaza+spindle+2.jpg
Imagine going after school for a free concert with local favorites Ides of March.

Ah, Korvettes. Two stores' closing elicited my tears: Tower Records and Korvettes. Korvettes was the world's largest seller of records and tapes in the Quad days. Their origins were in NYC. They got as far west as Chicago. West Coast people don't know what they missed.

Fun to hear about the history and the origins of these records. Now a little bit of Korvette's lives on here on the West coast. :)

There is a sealed SQ of Full Sail - Loggins & Messina in my collection, replete with a Korvettes sticker. It awaits a new turntable and cartridge, a future project. Until then, my current SQ and Q8 will continue to be played.

Ah, Korvettes. Two stores' closing elicited my tears: Tower Records and Korvettes. Korvettes was the world's largest seller of records and tapes in the Quad days. Their origins were in NYC. They got as far west as Chicago. It was a department store with low prices, and merchandised like a mall department store. Many stores had two levels and even multiple buildings called Korvette City. There were many stores within a store: home improvement, liquor, grocery, tires/auto repair, pharmacy, records/tapes and even a hi-fi salon with its' own XAM line of components. West Coast people don't know what they missed.

Most stores had 20 copies of each quad LP in stock!!

View attachment 9091

View attachment 9097

View attachment 9092

View attachment 9093

View attachment 9094

70's pressing of Something New w/Korvettes price sticker:
View attachment 9095

View attachment 9096

Bus stop in front of Korvettes in my old neighborhood. It was directly across from Cermak Plaza w/the Wayne's World Car Kabob. Notice that the bus goes to Argo. Knock, knock. Who's there? Argo...
View attachment 9098

View attachment 9099
Imagine going after school for a free concert with local favorites Ides of March.

Professor Linda:

I do enjoy reading the audio retail history lessons you occasionally provide. Please don't stop.

Justin

Now a little bit of Korvette's lives on here on the West coast. :)

To be honest, it would be more fun to me if the Ford Capri would still live on your west coast instead of being kebabed...

-Kristian

This might be cheating for the subject because I got them on Ebay, but I got a pretty good score that just arrived today. My lucky 13! Paid $33 for them plus shipping. They really truly are all in EX condition as the seller stated, which I've found accurate record grading to be rare. All in their original cello plus they have the plastic album covers. They all appear to have originally been purchased from a record store called Korvette's because they have the original store price tags on the cello. They are;

Poco Seven SQ
Poco Deliverin' SQ
Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits SQ
Friends of Distinction Greatest Hits CD-4
The Best of The Doors CD-4 ( I now have 2 copies of this, so if anyone wants to trade let me know)
Blood Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits SQ
Graham Central Station Ain't No Bout A Doubt It CD-4
Guess Who Road Food CD-4
Bread Baby I'm A Want You CD-4
Percy Faith Clair SQ
Percy Faith Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet SQ
Barbra Streisand Live Concert At the Forum SQ ( I now have 2 copies, so again, if anyone has any trades let me know)
Barbra Joan Streisand SQ

Whoa, another amazing score! Those are some great quads at a great price!

Another Korvettes fan!
korvettes-generalelectric.jpg

Snears crumpac ad & Korvettes All-Label sale (great shot of record dept): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7l-jntCeQ
0.jpg

Julie Newmar 1976 Korvettes ad. Great legs & all label sale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edn7eI4PEbA&NR=1

(from Wiki): Of note was E. J. Korvette's venture into the home entertainment business. The retailer established a rather out of context series of high-end audio salons within selected stores. Korvettes went so far as to market its own "XAM" brand of stereo receivers, amplifiers (some manufactured by Roland Electronics of Japan), television sets, and speakers. At a number of the retail locations the audio department was, on dollar per square foot basis, one of the more profitable departments in the store.

Korvettes album, custom pressed by Command:
4776842665_b7ce428b7a.jpg

!C!7nfj!!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKiYE0FRrFU7kBNFRRtL5k!~~_35.JPG

korvets.jpg
Korvettes.JPG

51RDj55jm9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

32078citycenter.jpg

When I was a kid our family spent a lot of time and $ at the Northeast Philly Korvettes!

Wow, not a flea market find, but a craigslist find. I must have saw the ad and called the guy right when he posted it. It was earlier in the week but he held this stuff and I went and got it today. I guess he got a good amount of calls after he was holding it for me. I'm sorry if it was any of you >:]

Quad 8-tracks

The Doobie Brothers Stampede

Bachman-Turner Overdrive

The Edgar Winter Group Shock Treatment

Seals & Crofts Diamond Girl

Mott The Hoople The Hoople

Argent In Deep

Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother

All 7 were $20

I got a Juliette Q8/Amplifier deck for $20

I got the Sharp Quad player/Stereo recorder for $20

I hear people talk about the recorders that play Quad but only record stereo but I don't think I've ever seen anything about this sharp. I can't even find a pic of it online.

It was flea market time again!

Aerosmith Rocks (SQ)

Aerosmith Toys In The Attic (SQ)

Santana Welcome (SQ)

Charlie McCoy The Fastest Harp In The South (SQ)

Vanguard Quadraphonic Demonstration Album (SQ)

Burton Cummings (SQ)

MFSB: Love Is The Message (SQ)

John Lennon Walls And Bridges (Q8) was only $2.50 :banana: :banana:

today at Betty Blue's in Tucson, Arizona:

Eagles - On The Border CD-4 $4.50
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits - SQ $5.50
Great Songs of The Beatles - SQ - $3.00

It was flea market time again!

Aerosmith Rocks (SQ)

Aerosmith Toys In The Attic (SQ)

Santana Welcome (SQ)

Charlie McCoy The Fastest Harp In The South (SQ)

Vanguard Quadraphonic Demonstration Album (SQ)

Burton Cummings (SQ)

MFSB: Love Is The Message (SQ)

John Lennon Walls And Bridges (Q8) was only $2.50 :banana: :banana:

I hit garage sales and similar all the time asking, and getting a look-like I'm nuts! 'What The heck is quad?" It's a very sad statement on multi-channel.

Last edited:
Back