BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have avoided commenting in this thread until I saw mention of a 5.1 title I'd be interested in, despite already owning it. I'm in for this and subsequent surround titles!

Songs In The Key of Life is back in stock at Amazon UK at £15.90, and I've finally got it. I've not had a chance to do any more than dip a toe in it, but it sounds spectacular.

As for US v UK musical tastes, I think that generalising is treacherous. People on both sides of the pond love wildly different things from street to street. I love country music with a passion, for example. But one thing I've noticed, which would account for the dim view most Americans take of ABBA (ironic, given their popularity there back in the day) is that Americans view pop as a dirty word, or at least something to be slightly embarrassed about - which is much less the case in Britain. One of my friends described the Beatles as pop in a US musical encyclopedia entry, and was firmly told by the editor that this was unacceptable, and that the word would be changed to rock.

I have hi-res 5.1 mixes of albums by Metallica, Megadeth, Blue Oyster Cult, Britney Spears, Goldfrapp and The Carpenters, and see no problem with that at all. If I could get my hands on a 5.1 ABBA collection as thrillingly pure and warm sounding as that Carpenters SACD, I'd be over the moon.

Britney Spears' In The Zone DVD-A is extraordinary sounding - Toxic in 5.1 is a Bollywood/surf music head-fuck trip - but I suspect is also probably one of the worst-selling DVD-As of all time, given the unlikelihood of Britney fans having the necessary equipment, and vice versa.

Dire Straits, on the other hand, will not be crossing my threshold unless they're heavily armed.

The Night At the Opera DTS DVD-A disc was released in 2002 (if you believe the copyright on the disc), but that's weird, because I remember the band launching it at an event in Germany in 2000. I wonder what happened there? The Game followed in 2003.

I'm glad a big hitter like them is pushing BD-A 5.1 releases, but wish they'd put something else out. I'm not buying anything again that I already have on SACD or DVD-A surround formats, unless those were unsatisfying (which was very rare).

There's a Tracy Chapman 5.1 album sitting in the vaults; would love that on BDA.

Songs In The Key of Life is back in stock at Amazon UK at £15.90, and I've finally got it. I've not had a chance to do any more than dip a toe in it, but it sounds spectacular.

As for US v UK musical tastes, I think that generalising is treacherous. People on both sides of the pond love wildly different things from street to street. I love country music with a passion, for example. But one thing I've noticed, which would account for the dim view most Americans take of ABBA (ironic, given their popularity there back in the day) is that Americans view pop as a dirty word, or at least something to be slightly embarrassed about - which is much less the case in Britain. One of my friends described the Beatles as pop in a US musical encyclopedia entry, and was firmly told by the editor that this was unacceptable, and that the word would be changed to rock.

I have hi-res 5.1 mixes of albums by Metallica, Megadeth, Blue Oyster Cult, Britney Spears, Goldfrapp and The Carpenters, and see no problem with that at all. If I could get my hands on a 5.1 ABBA collection as thrillingly pure and warm sounding as that Carpenters SACD, I'd be over the moon.

Britney Spears' In The Zone DVD-A is extraordinary sounding - Toxic in 5.1 is a Bollywood/surf music head-fuck trip - but I suspect is also probably one of the worst-selling DVD-As of all time, given the unlikelihood of Britney fans having the necessary equipment, and vice versa.

Dire Straits, on the other hand, will not be crossing my threshold unless they're heavily armed.

that Americans view pop as a dirty word, or at least something to be slightly embarrassed about -

I don't think it's that at all. There are many who enjoy pop music. It's a minority that view pop as "not music" or at least that's how I view it. My tastes in music are due to education, and understanding of it. Music to me is something that does not repeat the same lines over and over, or use of 3 chords, and studio/production corrections. I enjoy jazz/classical/progressive/ stuff with substance. Country has become the new rock in my opinion, here anyway. Very popular in the US. In fact, in my area there is only one progressive radio outlet and it's public radio, operated by Syracuse University, where I was first exposed to stuff like RTF and more. Locally all there is-is pop-country-and classic rock radio. The statement I made was from my point of view.
Brittney Spears is one of America's "molded" performers. Like many-there to make record companies rich, and there are many like her. To me popular is not a reason to listen..

There is a lot of stuff sitting, Pretzel Logic is done and just phucking sitting there. I get sooooo pissed off when I think of what we could be enjoying.

Who? Never heard of them.

What other 5.1 mixes are on the shelf so to speak?

Paul Simon - Graceland for one.

Good call! (y) if/when Warner get stuck into this HFPA blu-ray audio programme, I hope the Phil Ramone 5.1 mix of "Graceland" will be on their roster, plus the hitherto unreleased 5.1 mixes of Warner artists' albums such as Rod Stewart's "A Night On The Town" and Jean-Luc Ponty's "Cosmic Messenger" which are supposedly in the can, slated for DVDA release over a decade ago but cancelled and ultimately never released in any shape or form subsequently. you can add to that the C,S,N & Y "Deja Vu", Chicago X and Stephen Stills self-titled 5.1 Warner mixes that never made it to DVDA either. If the rumour mill got anything correct Warners are sitting on tons of amazing 5.1 stuff.

Today we are delighted to announce the High Fidelity Pure Audio release of one of the greatest and most influential albums of all time. This album not only epitomised the 90's grunge scene, but inspired an entire generation and continues to do so. What better way to enjoy the raw energy of Nirvana, than with the High Fidelity Pure Audio release of Nevermind. We'll have release details and pre-order information this week.

No signs of 5.1 though

No signs of 5.1 though

Nope, and I don't think it will be either. Nirvana don't seem like the kind of group that would be interested in 5.1 surround, except as it related to live performance films.
Well so far this week, the 2 titles announced are BIG titles, so let's see what else they have in store.

Sorry, Adam, Warner won't be releasing a 5.1 mix of Graceland, since Paul Simon owns his own masters and they are currently leased to Sony/Legacy/Columbia.

512vWdfqn6L.jpg

Good call! (y) if/when Warner get stuck into this HFPA blu-ray audio programme, I hope the Phil Ramone 5.1 mix of "Graceland" will be on their roster, plus the hitherto unreleased 5.1 mixes of Warner artists' albums...

1.)

Nope, and I don't think it will be either. Nirvana don't seem like the kind of group that would be interested in 5.1 surround, except as it related to live performance films.
Well so far this week, the 2 titles announced are BIG titles, so let's see what else they have in store.

there's two Foo Fighters albums in 5.1, I wonder if Dave Grohl had any input/influence on those releases? (both DVD-Audio too! woo!).

I reckon the next announcements (which don't include those few UK/US rock & pop titles already released in France) in the coming weeks will include Abba, U2, Dire Straits & Lionel Richie, based on the hints dropped on the HFPA Facebook page. I can only see the Dire Straits being in 5.1 (of B.I.A.) but I'd like to proven terribly wrong!

So about that Queen disc, I'm kinda wondering if it's the 5.1 mix from the original DVD-A or the one from the 30th Anniversary DTS disc. Cos the latter, apparently, has some improvements done to it: most notably, "God save the Queen" is in 5.1 while on the DVD-A, it was in stereo.

I, for one, never heard the sound difference between the DVD-A and the DTS disc, so I have to believe it's there. I guess I'm blessed with bad ears. :)

Either way, having the latest surround mix on Blu Ray, well that would be cool indeed. I'd splurge for that. Really cool to see this program continuing!

so we have now Nirvana ...for sure in 2.0 (UM Manager: "we spare the efforts of doing a surround mix and ripping the buyer again up")

so one step forward (Queen) and one step back ...what should I think of that release policy :mad:@:

GREAT sleuthing Odys! (y)

HMV have also added blu-ray audio's for Supertramp's "Crime Of The Century" and Beck's "Sea Change" to be released September 13th too!

According to the HMV website, in addition to Queen and Nirvana, the following blu-ray titles will be released on Sept 13:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/search/keyword_blu-ray+audio/target_SEARCH/type_sr/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back