BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal announced a new title today. Never Mind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols. Universal did say it would be the 30 track special edition. Still...pass.

This is one I might get, even if it is only in stereo, as for me, it's quite a special album to me personally.

Universal announced a new title today. Never Mind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols. Universal did say it would be the 30 track special edition. Still...pass.
Good thing I didn't buy the newly released SHM SACD with less tracks and twice the price.

another purely commercial decision in my eyes, "High Fidelity" has nothing to do with it.

stack up Imagine, Velvet Underground, Exile, Layla.. and now "Nevermind Nirvana here's a load of lo-fi bollocks".. who could honestly say any of these have been chosen for anything other than their commercial appeal? These albums have never sounded that great, how can Hi-Rez do anything for them unless they're remixed from the multi's (preferably into 5.1, of course)..

meantime I've had a few PM's & emails [1st heads up was from a QQ member, thank you :)] in the last few days saying Elton's been talking about "a new music format" during his stage patter on his US Tour, adding that his albums are going to be released on it, starting with Yellow Brick Road in the New Year.

This may well be HFPA? Is it what Greg Penny alluded to when he said there were alternatives in the works for his 5.1 mixes? Has there been a long term plan to release these on a major new platform in Hi-Rez surround!?

Whatever Elton's going on about, I hope they do indeed do "the lot" - AT BLOODY LAST - and get them right, with channels correctly assigned etc. Better ten years late than never!

Exile On Main Street finally arrived in the post on Monday, alongside the Close To The Edge and Nonsuch Blu-rays - and I hadn't a free minute to listen to any of them.

I finally got round to giving Exile a spin last night, skimming through all of the tracks, and I've got to say that so far I'm not impressed. I know that giving each track a 30-60 second blast is not a quality listen, but I can't hear any improvement over the last two remastered CDs I bought. Where I was expecting a rich, organic sound, it is thin and bright and, while my ears had adjusted to it and started to enjoy things more in the second half, it's a double album, so that's a long time to wait.

Afterwards I did the same with Close To The Edge, and that's in another world of quality. Aside from being 5.1, the warmth, depth, separation and detail of the sound is incomparably superior to Exile.

I must obviously give Exile more detailed attention, but just wanted to say that, based on this first encounter, I would not file this under HFPA's success stories. It's less pointless than The Velvet Underground & Nico, but that's a low bar.

I'm sorry to hear that :( I was very pleasantly surprised by the "Exile" HFPA, I don't think its ever sounded better, not that it's ever going to sound amazing but still, it'll probably sell well and go down well enough, which is clearly what these HFPA's are all about - "the numbers game".. I don't think MFSL, AP, AF, et al have got anything to worry about.

meantime I've had a few PM's & emails [1st heads up was from a QQ member, thank you :)] in the last few days saying Elton's been talking about "a new music format" during his stage patter on his US Tour, adding that his albums are going to be released on it, starting with Yellow Brick Road in the New Year.

This may well be HFPA? Is it what Greg Penny alluded to when he said there were alternatives in the works for his 5.1 mixes? Has there been a long term plan to release these on a major new platform in Hi-Rez surround!?

Whatever Elton's going on about, I hope they do indeed do "the lot" - AT BLOODY LAST - and get them right, with channels correctly assigned etc. Better ten years late than never!

I wonder if it's Neil Young's new Pono format that's supposed to debut in 2014.

could be, guess we'll know in the next few months. Were Universal mooted as being involved in Pono? So much has happened since NY unveiled it, I can't recall who or what was connected to Pono now, other than Warners and him.

Interesting new post over at sa-cd.net (from member pacwin) saying that UPC/EAN info has come up for two new Blu-ray Audio releases of albums formerly on the Virgin label.

They are:

Genesis, Selling England By The Pound, 0600753454404, ASIN:B00GXQELGO
Lenny Kravitz, Are You Gonna Go My Way, 0600753475249, ASIN: B00GXQEIWQ

Mid-December/January tentative release dates.

Trying to gather more info., will report back if/when I find any on they're being 1.) Multichannel, 2.) HFPA releases, 3.) the real deal & not vapourware.

Well, as long as it's not child Pono it's legal not that we need any more formats.

Oh oh oh, please let this be a new Hi-res transfer of the original mix.

And a less compressed mastering of the 5.1 from the SACD. Or a new mix, even!

it'd be lovely to have both a less compressed 5.1 and new stereo but I can't see it, these HFPA's have been mostly shove the latest remaster on 'em jobs.

Oh oh oh, please let this be a new Hi-res transfer of the original mix.

And a less compressed mastering of the 5.1 from the SACD. Or a new mix, even!

Here, here, or should that be hear, hear! The Genesis 5.1 SACD releases really don't sound that wonderful, we can but hope for a less compressed sound on the Blu-ray, and if it includes 5.1, but I suspect not.

stack up Imagine, Velvet Underground, Exile, Layla.. and now "Nevermind Nirvana here's a load of lo-fi bollocks".. who could honestly say any of these have been chosen for anything other than their commercial appeal? These albums have never sounded that great

I think NMTBHTSP is an excellent recording. The contrast between the music and the clarity of its sound has always worked for me. Johnny Rotten was irritated that it wasn't more lo-fi while others prefer the "Spunk" demos for their lack of polish. I find "Spunk" perfectly interesting but not as involving as the official album.

Most of these are not remastered from the original tapes. They are using old masters that were meant for CDs mostly! HOW LAZY!

They should of had a mastering engineer and a mixing engineer ready to do every title. Saving money is going to cost them in the end!

Presumably they thought that, as they had already paid for it, they might as well use the latest remaster regardless of the sound quality and suitability for the medium. Following my experience with Nirvana's Nevermind Blu-ray I bought the original 19991 CD for £4 and it sounds miles better than the compressed master that Universal seem to think is acceptable for showing off their new format. Sad.

I would write something about the John Coltrane Blu-ray pure audio, but how can i set a new thread in "Forum: Blu-Ray Music & Music Videos (HD-DVD too!)"??? Must I ask the admin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back