BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would write something about the John Coltrane Blu-ray pure audio, but how can i set a new thread in "Forum: Blu-Ray Music & Music Videos (HD-DVD too!)"??? Must I ask the admin?

You should be able to create a thread in this forum:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?71-Blu-Ray-All-Things-Blu

If you want a Poll to be created on this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Blu-Ray-Music-amp-Music-Videos-(HD-DVD-too!)

Then send JonUrban a PM...

sealed copy of Rolling stones Exile on Main Street- blu ray pure audio. I accidently ordered two. $30 plus $5 postage in USA. Pm me if interested

Here, here, or should that be hear, hear! The Genesis 5.1 SACD releases really don't sound that wonderful, we can but hope for a less compressed sound on the Blu-ray, and if it includes 5.1, but I suspect not.
I feel that the early Genesis SACDs were sublime and revealing. Especially Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound.

If there is a surround release that you feel deserves a poll entry, please send me a PM.

However, I do not want poll entries for stereo product, no matter what the format. This is a surround forum, and while discussion of stereo Hi-Rez is fine when appropriate, it is not what we are all about or why we're here, especially when it comes to the polls.

It opens up a whole new can of worms that I do not want to open.

Sorry, but them's the rules! :)

We can! There won't be much activity in it right now though, there's only 5 surround HFPA discs - 1 is seriously compressed (Queen ANATO), 1 is compressed but still bearable (which is a shame for the Serge Gainsbourg as the mix and album itself are lovely), 1 has its channels botched (Tommy), 1 is a mediocre surround mix of subjective material (Les Mis), 1 is great and the only essential (if you don't have the old Beck-Sea Change SACD/DVD-A.).

We can! There won't be much activity in it right now though, there's only 5 surround HFPA discs - 1 is seriously compressed (Queen ANATO), 1 is compressed but still bearable (which is a shame for the Serge Gainsbourg as the mix and album itself are lovely), 1 has its channels botched (Tommy), 1 is a mediocre surround mix of subjective material (Les Mis), 1 is great and the only essential (if you don't have the old Beck-Sea Change SACD/DVD-A.).

In what way are the channels botched on Tommy?

There's no forum consensus (and so far only QQ Member Grill agrees with me) but I've listened to it over again and tried it out various ways since I got it and for me the channels are wrongly assigned. My take on it is:

Rear Left should be Front Left,
Front Left should be Front Right,
Front Right should be Rear Right,
Rear Right should be Rear Left.

Centre and LFE seemingly ok.

That way you get stereo drums across front L&R with all the accents etc across the rear pair. If you leave it as is you get drums as a "stereo side" presentation with Moony in Rear L & Front L, which while funkily discrete is not what I feel Pridden & co had in mind when they knocked the mix up.

Failed Muso Rob is looking into it with Pridden's FX guys, hopefully he'll get back with a definitive on what's going on soon. I'm not saying I'm right, just I prefer the 5.1 re-mapped that way.

I found this list that I must have grabbed at some point, I can't remember when or where I found it or where it's from in the first place but I think it may have been part of a leaked internal memo re:HFPA titles in the pipeline or something, I should have posted it here months ago but I forgot all about it! :eek:

HIGH FIDELITY – PURE AUDIO: CONTEMPORARY ALBUM RELEASE LIST
Abba Gold
Amy Winehouse Back to Black
Beastie Boys License To Ill
Beck Sea Change
Bob Marley & The Wailers Legend
Bon Jovi Greatest Hits
Def Leppard Vault (Greatest Hits)
Derek And The Dominoes Layla
Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Dr Dre 2001
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Elton John Captain Fantastic
Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction
Jamie Cullum Twentysomething
Lionel Richie Can't Slow Down
Maroon 5 Songs About Jane
Marvin Gaye What's Going On
Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells
Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You
Nirvana Nevermind
Queen Greatest Hits
Steely Dan Gaucho
Stevie Wonder Songs In The Key Of Life
Sting 25
Sting Sacred Love
The Killers Hot Fuss
The Eagles Hell Freezes Over
The Rolling Stones Let it Bleed
U2 Joshua Tree

Interesting how some of these have actually come out since I found this list.. plus the usual suspects (Gaucho, GYBR..).

Paul Sinclair has posted his interview with Olivier Robert-Murphy, http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/i...n-plans-for-the-blu-ray-format/#comment-65374

Most interesting thing,

ORM: No, not at all. And actually, I think it will happen.

SDE: Let’s talk about 5.1 surround sound. As you said, more and more households have blu-ray players sitting under their TV; they might also have a surround set-up with speakers behind the sofa, a subwoofer etc., so they can enjoy Lord Of The Rings and the like, but it’s only a small minority of titles that you have released so far that have included a 5.1 mix. Looking online, it seems to be the most desired thing, particularly from audiophiles who may have some SACDs sitting on their shelf or have enjoyed DVD-Audios in 5.1 in the past. Are you going to start releasing more titles with 5.1?

ORM: Two things about this. Number one, you have your personal belief when you launch something. You do your best to test, what does the market want? So I had to follow my belief, and my belief is that when I’m listening to an orchestra, and don’t like to hear the trumpets behind my right ear. I like to be in a theatre with everything in front of me listening to a performance. That’s what Pure Audio was about. What I found out, is the same as you. I got a lot of feedback from consumers saying ‘actually, you know what, we want 5.1’. So we started to release Queen and others. We have more product coming in 5.1. We’ve actually launched a dedicated plan for the next six months to have a lot of 5.1 releases – as a pure dedicated initiative. I have to be honest and say that I was surprised how much people wanted that. I thought all these music lovers will want it exactly as it was originally recorded, but no, they want it like that.

SDE: Ultimately you can give people the choice can’t you. If you don’t want 5.1, just listen to the stereo version.

ORM: Yes, but we have costs to consider and sourcing – we don’t have 5.1 available everywhere.

Translation: I tried really really hard to start and remain ignorant of my market demographic, but that stupid internet just wouldn't let me do it! Ok fine, I'm going to put out some 5.1 titles now, but I'm going to give them a different name and most likely under-promote and screw them up somehow so that I can turn around in a year and say I told you that 5.1 isn't a commercially viable music format.

ORM: No, not at all. And actually, I think it will happen.

SDE: Let’s talk about 5.1 surround sound. As you said, more and more households have blu-ray players sitting under their TV; they might also have a surround set-up with speakers behind the sofa, a subwoofer etc., so they can enjoy Lord Of The Rings and the like, but it’s only a small minority of titles that you have released so far that have included a 5.1 mix. Looking online, it seems to be the most desired thing, particularly from audiophiles who may have some SACDs sitting on their shelf or have enjoyed DVD-Audios in 5.1 in the past. Are you going to start releasing more titles with 5.1?

ORM: Two things about this. Number one, you have your personal belief when you launch something. You do your best to test, what does the market want? So I had to follow my belief, and my belief is that when I’m listening to an orchestra, and don’t like to hear the trumpets behind my right ear. I like to be in a theatre with everything in front of me listening to a performance. That’s what Pure Audio was about. What I found out, is the same as you. I got a lot of feedback from consumers saying ‘actually, you know what, we want 5.1’. So we started to release Queen and others. We have more product coming in 5.1. We’ve actually launched a dedicated plan for the next six months to have a lot of 5.1 releases – as a pure dedicated initiative. I have to be honest and say that I was surprised how much people wanted that. I thought all these music lovers will want it exactly as it was originally recorded, but no, they want it like that.

SDE: Ultimately you can give people the choice can’t you. If you don’t want 5.1, just listen to the stereo version.

ORM: Yes, but we have costs to consider and sourcing – we don’t have 5.1 available everywhere.

the guy's a bean counter prick stuck in the past with his own dumbass preconceived prejudices about surround music. he needs to get his head out of his ass and start GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT.

I wouldn't discount your list, fredblue. The Killers Hot Fuss was announced on SACD in 2004 but never released. I don't know why and it was aggravating because that's a great album. My hope is the 5.1 mix is still out there and Universal has grabbed it and is getting it ready.

Now is the time for all of us to write to Universal and request they re-issue the old quad mixes. No mixing necessary, no additional expenses, just what a label likes.

I know it's not rocket science to track this stuff down, but to make it super easy for everyone to do just that, maybe if someone has the correct email address to reach the proper folks at Universal they should post it here so all of us surround fans can tell them what we want. MORE 5.1 TITLES!

I’m baffled that a blogger has to teach the guy in charge of yet another re-issue format that a) people buying an “expensive” product promising quality deserve a worthy master and b) people want detailed information. It’s nearly 2014; I weep for the utter cluelessness of so many in the music industry.
i like this remark by Bert.
no disrespect meant but really, seems this guy can't pretend for title "brightest person in music industry".
frankly after reading through interview i got impression that someone at some point hinted him into BD-A
and after sometime [as usual in big corporate hierarchy game] when he recall and voiced this hint on one
of countless internal meetings, he was prised as genious. interview in fact shows his lack of even basic
knowledge about object of his management. i just hope he learned from Paul Sinclair during an interview
least some knowledge about topic and if stars will laid to help us maybe someday High Fidelity Pure Audio
will start to supply perfect releases.
as for now, i'm still waiting when Beck - Sea Changes finally appear at amazon.ca
don't have this one neither on DVD-A or SACD and will buy BD-A but amazon canada not even listed this one :flame

the guy's a bean counter prick stuck in the past with his own dumbass preconceived prejudices about surround music. he needs to get his head out of his ass and start GIVING THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT.

Yeah! That's telling them Fred. Don't sugar coat it, tell them what you really think. ;) (y) (y)

I think the guy made his general lack of knowledge and interest in surround abundantly clear....I'm concerned that he is even involved with this project! Bummer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back