Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Analogue Productions did do some surround on a Brubeck title and the Doors but I guess they've gone back to a stereo only policy, sometimes 3-channel stereo, but not surround.

Yeah.. and Pink Floyd and Norah Jones.. now it's all back to 3-channel (which is great) but it's not surround.. they've got a golden opportunity here.. Audio Fidelity has proven the market for surround is there.. come on Analogue Productions.!!!

Let's take a look at the scoreboard thus far of Quads released thus far by AF:

Sony-owned Quads: 7 (includes Jeff Beck and MO)
Warner-owned Quads: 2
Universal-owned Quads: 0

And Multichannel SACDs total:
Sony: 9 (the 2 additional Al Kooper 5.1 mixes)
Warner: 5 (Breezin, Winelight, Homecoming added)
Universal: 0

(Five, Six, Seven, Eight! Who do we appreciate? It's SONY! Yeah, yeah, it's Sony!)
(But we love Warner Music too) ;)

I suspect (though I have no proof) it's not a lack of desire or co-operation on Universal's part as to why there's been no Audio Fidelity SACDs of Universal owned Quad material but that Universal's archives are in disarray with incomplete/missing/destroyed (etc.) Quad tapes being the major stumbling block..?

Grateful Dead -- Terrapin Station or Shakedown

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To summarize, this is why AF are unlikely to (re)release Quad or 5.1 mixes from Universal:

1) Missing or Destroyed Quad Master Tapes (which is why Joe Cocker and Joe Walsh were stereo-only SACDs)
2) They prefer to (re)release their 5.1 mixes themselves through their HFPA Blu-Ray series

Therefore, the most realistic suggestions to AF still are:
1) Sony or Warner-owned Quad mixes that are unreleased on SACD
2) Sony or Warner-owned DVD-A (or DVD-V) 5.1 mixes that are unreleased on SACD

As for me, I'm recommending certain titles that were originally released on DVD-A but have been out of print and never released on SACD.
Albums like "Spectrum" by Billy Cobham and Steely Dan/Donald Fagen albums ("Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", "Everything Must Go").
I'll leave the Quad suggestions up to the rest of you… ;)

Is this an alternate universe? I just ordered a mint SQ vinyl of this recording! I guess when my Involve SQ Vinyl/QS arrives (with the new amp) I can compare the two. Same had happened with the Jeff Beck Group SQ as well, which is a very nice 'problem' to have. Good feedback for Chucky et al.

Could be Premonitions your having! Please order and think about the ZAPPA QUADS (ALL 4 OF THEM IF YOU CAN)

Yes, the Gordon Lightfoot and Judy Collins Quad Tapes from the Warner Music vaults would make some fine Multichannel SACDs.
They are on my list! :)

Some of these were on my original wish list in the other posted wish list........

Chicago X,
Doobie Brothers/Minute By Minute, (+ the first four labums, especially "What Were Once Vices")
Michael McDonald/The Voice Of,
Christopher Cross/1st album
Madonna Music & GHV2/

.....so I will repost here.

Yes, Jean-Luc Ponty's Cosmic Messenger was one of those DVD-A titles that appeared on a couple of DVD-A pre-order lists (*) that never made it out.

Others included:

The Cars' 1st album,
Chicago X,
Doobie Brothers/Minute By Minute,
Michael McDonald/The Voice Of,
Little Feat - Dixie Chicken/Waiting For Columbus,
David Sanborn/Voyeur,
Christopher Cross/1st album,
Rod Stewart/A Night On The Town,
Paul Simon/Graceland,
Tracey Chapman/Debut,
Joni Mitchell-Blue/Court & Spark/Hejira/Ladies Of The Canyon,
Todd Rundgren-Sonething/Anything?,
Tom Petty/Wildflowers,
MadonnaMusic & GHV2/,
Alanis Morissette/Jagged Little Pill,
Jane's Addiction/Nothing's Shocking,
Beach Boys/Surf's Up

* primarily Warner acts but also some Capitol iirc.. lists were posted here (Mike Cunningham? Jon knows all about this) and originated from the early part of the 00's when DVD-A was in full swing.

Speaking of the ES/AF agreement, what has happened to that? We got the Christmas disc in December, and nothing since, now six months.

CARS discs in surround are on my "bucket list" as well!...........maybe Elliott Scheiner can pull it off with his Audio Fidelity agreement?

"Wouldn't it be nice"

Speaking of the ES/AF agreement, what has happened to that? We got the Christmas disc in December, and nothing since, now six months.

Not true.
The "Winelight" and "Homecoming" mixes are by ES, and they both have the ETrain logo on them.
Only time will tell what else will come, but I'm hopeful through their already good relationship with Warner Music that AF can reissue ES' 5.1 mixes of titles like "Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", and "Everything Must Go".

Last edited:
There are many possible explanations. At the end of the day, if record label and artist approval for reissues - Stereo or Multichannel SACD - aren't available, it's time to move on to other artists and albums where those approvals and licensing is available.
Not always Brian, we witnessed this scenario already.

When Van Morrison was fighting to halt "Moondance's" 5.1 release by Warner, and failed.

Speaking of which, he has a 5.1 of "Down The Road" in the can, or so I've been told.It would be a Blue Note disc.

When Van Morrison was fighting to halt "Moondance's" 5.1 release by Warner, and failed.

Speaking of which, he has a 5.1 of "Down The Road" in the can, or so I've been told.It would be a Blue Note disc.

With Paul Simon, it's a difference scenario however.
He owns the "Graceland" recordings, and they are licensed out to the record label of his choice. He's the controlling party, so it's his way.

In Van's case he had no legal standing...so it wasn't really a "fight"...he just lobbied for people not to buy it...

In Van's case he had no legal standing...so it wasn't really a "fight"...he just lobbied for people not to buy it...

I can't believe Van Morrison would have rejected that 5.1 Elliot Scheiner remix had it all been under different circumstances and he owned that part of his catalogue but just my h.o.

Here's a Sony Chicago disc I'm hoping A F can consider. 20150630_194414.jpg20150630_194422.jpg

I can't believe Van Morrison would have rejected that 5.1 Elliot Scheiner remix had it all been under different circumstances and he owned that part of his catalogue but just my h.o.

Van got criticized in an article in the Rolling Stone because the record company "supposedly" reached out to him about the release and he rejected their approach...but nobody really knows what happened when he "lost" the rights to his music...record companies really screwed a lot of these artists "back in the day"...they had all the leverage...so I can understand why these artists don't feel "warm and fuzzy" about these record companies...

All Chicago records are now owned by Warner Music.

Not to mention that some are already being reissued as stereo SACDs by Mobile Fidelity… :mad:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Deal, Gig, Job, Program, etc. Pardon my verbiage for those who don't dig my jive.

My big worry is that they'll put out a few albums that nobody's heard of that tank in sales and they decide to say "shit" and pull a fade like Rhino did with the Quadio program. (Throw in the Towel? Give up the Ghost? Quit? Choose the phrase you understand the best.)

Not fair to AF to make this comparison. That label obviously didn't give it (multichannel audio) a chance to succeed. Plus, AF is being true to their base customers by giving them an improved two channel product, in addition to a the surround stuff that we all dig! I think they have exceeded any of our expectations, obviously, and hopefully they will continue to do so. No need to worry. If they stay on this course they will succeed and we will be fine.

Back