Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just listened to this today for the first time (in Youtube.0)
I dig, man. Very cool. Can't wait to hear the SACD.

All their albums are great! (y)

I hope Audio Fidelity can find their other Quads ("Full Sail", "Native Sons" = superb album btw.. even "Sittin' In" if the rumoured Quad mix actually exists..)

None to familiar with them yet.

Spectacular Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix of the Doobie Brothers' classic "Captain and Me" album, with hits including "Long Train Runnin", "China Grove", available on both DVD-Audio and SACD.

Plus there were 4 Doobie Brothers' albums given the Quadraphonic treatment to similarly great surround effect back in the day:

Toulouse Street, (w/Listen To The Music, Rockin Down The Highway, Jesus Is Just Alright With Me)..

The Captain & Me.. (w/China Grove, Long Train Runnin, Without You, Dark Eyed Cajun Woman)..

"What Were Once Vices Are Habits Now" (w/Black Water, Eyes Of Silver, Another Park Another Sunday, Daughters Of The Sea, Road Angel)..

Stampede (w/Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me A Little While, Sweet Maxine, I Cheat The Hangman, Music Man)..

Check it out! ;)

The Doobie Brothers albums from the Quad era were recently released on Stereo SACD by Mobile Fidelity and The Captain And Me was recently reissued on Multichannel SACD by Warner Japan.
So those are off the table for the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs.

If AF wanted to, they could hire someone to mix into quad the two Takin' In To The Streets songs that are on Best Of The Doobies and then they could put that title out. The other songs on it are already mixed in quad. I think the investment would pay off.

All the AF multichannel SACDs have been winners. (y)

And thanks again for all your efforts/assistance Brian in getting these out too.

Thanks Lizard King. It's been a fun project since Audio Fidelity agreed to try Multichannel SACD releases.
More than a year later now. And the titles are still coming - with more in discussion and in the pipeline.

The Doobie Brothers albums from the Quad era were recently released on Stereo SACD by Mobile Fidelity and The Captain And Me was recently reissued on Multichannel SACD by Warner Japan.
So those are off the table for the Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs.

Thank you for the info and status update.

Have you and/or Audio Fidelity made enquiries with Warner as to the availability of the unreleased 5.1 Elliot Scheiner remix of The Doobie Brothers' "Minute By Minute" album?

That'd be great on Surround SACD..

The core audience for Audio Fidelity remains the Stereo SACD and Stereo CD fans. So they have to keep in mind what has been recently reissued and remastered in those formats by the labels and the reissue companies.
But there are still albums mixed in Quad that meet this test. So more titles in Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity are indeed possible.

I wonder what proportion of these Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs sold are bought by people getting them primarily for the Quad/5.1 mixes.. Has AF done any outreach customer survey type thing?

It sucks to hear about all of these great albums being quad-blocked by these other labels who show no interest in saving the old quad mixes. WTF?

It's a shame AF could not just license the surround and release a surround only disc, but I doubt that would be cost effective for them and they operate on very small margins to begin with I'm sure. They'd probably have to charge $50 retail a disc and then we'd all be bitching about the price! :)

Meet the Quad Blocker Fokkers..

Back