Doobie Bros. Takin' it to the Streets 40th Anniversary and ....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Nothing?

No box set with 5.1?
No Blu-Ray?
Not even a two-disc multipack?

Thanks, Warners, for giving up on the last segment that still ACTUALLY BUYS DISCS.

I can't believe there's no attempt whatsoever -- other than some web video -- to capitalize on this momentous 70's classic.

Well first off, the year's not over with yet, so there's always the chance that some reissue could come out during the remainder of the year.
But also, keep in mind that Warner Brothers has basically done nothing special with the Doobie Brothers catalogue over the last fifteen years or so, apart from Elliot Scheiner's surround remix of "The Captain & Me", so maybe one day we'll finally get a proper series of deluxe reissues from the Doobies, and when we do, I really hope they see fit to finally release all of those great Doobies quadraphonic mixes in high-res form! :)

I have it too.
Not too bad, but it's not real.

Warners didn't make any quads past mid 1975. Last of their unreleased quads were two Tulls, Rod Stewart and a Leo Sayer all from that year.

What was the Rod Stewart album, "Atlantic Crossing"?

I SO wish Audio Fidelity could resurrect Atlantic Crossing on Surround SACD the way they did the unreleased Billy Cobham/Spectrum Quad..

I have it too.
Not too bad, but it's not real.

Warners didn't make any quads past mid 1975. Last of their unreleased quads were two Tulls, Rod Stewart and a Leo Sayer all from that year.

WEA quadradiscs were issued up to 76, I believe.And at this point the final releases for the most part, contained a QUADRADISC sticker on a stereo lp.
One of the last two I bought were Joni Mitchell's-Hissing Of Summer Lawns and The Eagles-One Of These Nights.

There were actually a number of discs withdrawn by WEA .The listings were from SCHWANN and were in the monthly edition for quite some time (approx 1 yr).

Schwann was incredibly accurate with their quad listings and usually if it was listed it was available-or very soon to be.

The discs I noted from WEA'S final quad push, but were withdrawn are ;

Jethro Tull-Minstrel In The Gallery
Jethro Tull-M.U. Best of
The Beach Boys-Good Vibrations
Leo Sayer-Another Year
Todd Rundgren-Initiation
Carly Simon-Another Passenger
Gregg Allman-Laid Back
Black Sabbath-Sabotage
Deep Purple-Burn
Uriah Heep-Return To Fantasy
Black Oak Arkansas-Street Party*
Billy Cobham-Spectrum*
Frank Zappa-One Size Fits All
Foghat-Energized
Foghat-Rock And Roll Outlaws
The Eagles-The Eagles
The Eagles-Desperado
J. Geils Band-Bloodshot
Gordon Lightfoot-Gord's Gold
Rod Stewart-Atlantic Crossing

*also listed in the WEA, Panasonic, and JVC 76 quadradisc booklets promoting CD-4 discs already released !

The good news is that most of these titles likely were mixed but last minute withdrawn, when in late 76 WEA threw in the towel on Quad.

There may be a couple I've missed but that is the list I know of and have kept note of. Now it's up to A.F. to hopefully find the WEA quads and release them, and I hope they can obtain a few of these.:D

Initiation and One Size Fits All would be glorious in quad!

I so agree,(y)

plus the Deep Purple-Burn

But any of the above would be appreciated, some more than others.

Another title that I believe was listed but I think for only 2-3 months (unlike these), was :

Allman Bros.-Brothers And Sisters

and I forgot one of the lengthier listed titles : JIMI HENDRYX-CRASH LANDING(y)

Yes! The Zappa title would seem unlikely for an AF reissue given how difficult Universal and the ZFT can be about such things but Rundgren's 70's output is still controlled by WEA (through Rhino.) Over the years a few Todd titles (Something/Anything?, Oops! Wrong Planet) have been reissued by MoFi so it doesn't appear that Todd has any objections to an audiophile label reissuing his stuff. Can you imagine the entire "Treatise on Cosmic Fire" suite in quad? That would be insane!

Two things gave me More Than a Feeling that Quad was dead or dying:
1- Quadradisc stickers on Hissing of Summer Lawns and One of These Nights instead of dedicated Quad jackets
2- No Quad release for Boston

I loved the Doobies from the first time I heard Listen to the Music. I've seen/heard them live several times. I'm complete on them, including Kwads, SACD's and Blu-Rays. IMHO, Takin' it to the Streets is their best album.

Perhaps the Quads will get a digital re-release when MoFi's licensing agreement is over. Jewel Boxes would be nice, too, rather than sleazy cardboard sleeves. Jim at MoFi likes to do it "on the cheap" and hates surround.

I recently watched the Doobies documentary on Blu-Ray. It's excellent and has some great bonus live performances. My only two bitches are small ones:
1- No mention was made of Moby Grape's Skip Spence, who was instrumental in the Doobies early story
2- Also no mention of them going by the name Pud early on

Mention was made of that "Moby Grape sound" when they added a third guitar by adding the odiferous Mr. Baxter. BTW: Moby Grape is my all-time favorite band.

The Quad mix is the real thing.
Ain't no way that this is an upmix.
Many elements are perfectly isolated and with no pumping nor any frequency separation (lower freq in front , highs in back).

This is one that never got a release.

Either that or my ears are failing me and I'm getting dumber by the minute (..wouldn't rule out any of these!)

I'll go out on a limb and say you'll NEVER see the Quad mix of Hendrix' Crash Landing, nor will you ever see it return to print in ANY format for two reasons:

1- Experience Hendrix (Janie Hendrix) now owns the masters. Currently, they are being pressed by Sony, not WEA.

2- The bigger reason is that Crash Landing (Midnight Lightning, too) are posthumous releases that are basic session tapes of Hendrix with many other musicians added posthumously (Bob Babbitt, etc.) The family considered these bastardized and doesn't want the albums and/or their tracks on the street.

Now, back to our :smokin Brothers thread

I ...and I forgot one of the lengthier listed titles : JIMI HENDRYX-CRASH LANDING(y)

I'll go out on a limb and say you'll NEVER see the Quad mix of Hendrix' Crash Landing, nor will you ever see it return to print in ANY format for two reasons:

1- Experience Hendrix (Janie Hendrix) now owns the masters. Currently, they are being pressed by Sony, not WEA.

2- The bigger reason is that Crash Landing (Midnight Lightning, too) are posthumous releases that are basic session tapes of Hendrix with many other musicians added posthumously (Bob Babbitt, etc.) The family considered these bastardized and doesn't want the albums and/or their tracks on the street.

Now, back to our :smokin Brothers thread

Well that's the case with a number of these withdrawn WEA QUADS.

Label changes, anti quad attitudes, time, etc.
HENDRYX is Sony, Beach Boys is Universal, Allman's Universal and so on.

We lucked out with Jethro Tull , however, thanks to Ian Anderson, Chrysalis, and Steven Wilson.When the artist and sublabel have some say great things can occur.

Regarding The Doobie Bros.-Takin' It To The Streets as an unreleased/withdrawn quad mix ? Yes, I think it's possible the time is probably just on the cusp of WEA 's Quad withdrawal-(shameful withdrawal, btw).

Those Schwann Quad listings were of course provided by WEA, and represent some and no doubt there were others mixed but cancelled rather suddenly in late 76.

Perhaps Darrell Johnson formerly fr. the JVC CUTTING CENTER who handled all the quadradiscs for WEA to be cut, can provide more info on the withdrawn discs as he has already mentioned on a prior post that he had Tull's Minstrel for the ready.:D

Boston was a slightly different missed opportunity as it was on Columbia/Epic, and they did not "jump ship" like WEA at least not til end of 77 I believe.

Hell, I remember getting the 76 edition of Sound Concepts quad listings and it had as available, Jeff Beck Jan Hammer live., and with the Columbia quad disc #.
They let loose a little more slowly but inevitably at an end by early 78.

That Doobies Bros. possible quad mix could indeed exsist for another reason, as the artists were probably in favour of quad having released four already, not in quick concession.
I btw think their quad mixes were out standing. Very much welcome by quadraphiles and perhaps now, A.F. ?

Tell that to Dweezil! He says there is no market for it.

Zappa family own their masters. They could licence them to other record labels, no cost of their own, risk free.

Real shame about their attitude.

Tell that to Dweezil! He says there is no market for it.

Zappa family own their masters. They could licence them to other record labels, no cost of their own, risk free.

Real shame about their attitude.

Maybe, but I think "all is not lost" as we did get ROXY AND ELSEWHERE albeit not the quad disc, but a 5.1 mix by the legend of surround/quad in the form of Bruce Botnick, no less.

Back