Birdsong At Morning-A Slight Departure July 26th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully we'll all be buying a copy! Anyway I was order #00117 now reordered with Postage its #00125, US$10 isn't that bad for that, just hope I don't get hit by import duty and the associated fees.

Arghhh......

So grateful for everyone's support in placing orders for the Blu-ray. But as many of you noted, there was a problem with the website checkout and shipping charges were not included. I have refunded everyone's money, and cancelled the orders. The site is working properly now, so if you place the order, you will be charged for the shipping costs. I apologize for the error, and recognize that shipping costs to Europe will significantly increase the price. But as you can imagine, if I didn't charge for shipping, I would be losing several dollars on every order (the mark-up for the product is VERY low). I know that's how Factory Records got it's start (losing money on every copy of New Order's "Blue Monday" 12" single), but I just don't have that kind of capital to burn...

I was also wondering why no shipping as I know this project is a labor of love but can't be giving away for free, reordered # 127, sending to a friends at USA address as we are about to have a postal strike in Canada so will get quicker this way and save a bit on shipping.

peter

Tried to pre order, as I went through the process it tacked on $24 for shipping to Canada :rolleyes: That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Tried to pre order, as I went through the process it tacked on $24 for shipping to Canada :rolleyes: That's a deal breaker for me, unfortunately.

Must be a problem with site, I just sent Alan a email advising based on what you have reported.
There was a initial problem where it did not add a cost to shipping at all.
Hang tough it shouldn't be that high a price, think its supposed to be around $10 for shipping to Canada.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get the commerce portion of our website in better working order...

I have now figured out how to structure the shipping charges for Canada separately from the rest of the international shipping. The charge is now set at $11.00. This covers the slight variations in Canadian destinations, as well as the cost of the mailer, etc. Not exactly a bargain, but less than half the previously posted cost.

I hope this will help make the purchase more reasonable for our friends north of the border. And again, thanks to everyone for their patience and their support!!!

Thanks to everyone for helping me get the commerce portion of our website in better working order...

I have now figured out how to structure the shipping charges for Canada separately from the rest of the international shipping. The charge is now set at $11.00. This covers the slight variations in Canadian destinations, as well as the cost of the mailer, etc. Not exactly a bargain, but less than half the previously posted cost.

I hope this will help make the purchase more reasonable for our friends north of the border. And again, thanks to everyone for their patience and their support!!!

Thanks so much, I'm on it...;)

I just received my copy yesterday. I must say, I'm pretty impressed. If you are on the fence about this one, i'm going on record now to say that this release is an excellent purchase.

Packaging: While I'm not a big fan of cardboard packaging, this might be one of the best cardboard packages i've come across. Its a double gatefold with a booklet slot. The disk holders are standard plastic trays. Much like the Mark Knopfler DVDA/CD releases. The booklet is what you might expect to get with a CD... lyrics, credits, etc.

Content: BRD and CD combo, three music videos, a video commentary by singer-songwriter Alan Williams outlining his inspirations and methods behind each songs creation
Tracks are available in 5.1 24/96 DTS MA and 5.1 & 2.0 24/96 LPCM (all selectable on the fly via the standard audio color buttons), plus the standard redbook CD. There is also the interesting inclusion of an instrumental only version of the album in 2.0 24/96. When the BR is played the video shots give a full page screen of lyrics. I liked how it was authored... so I had to check the credits after the fact. No surprise it was authored by Neil Wilkes at Opus. Neil... you are the Steven Wilson of disk authoring. I hope you know that.

Fidelity and mix: This has everything you're gonna want. I gotta listen more because although i've played it through twice now I only cherry picked about half of the tracks for a serious listen so far, but the mix is discrete, tasteful, non-gimmicky, and very effective. I was able to localize strings, percussion, backing vocals, keyboards in the rears at various times depending on the track selected. The audio quality is very good, even pristine. I do not hear any compression issues. The primary songwriter Alan Williams is credited with the mixing job. If you are listening Alan, you did an awesome job. You need to mix more stuff in 5.1.

Performance: None of the above means much without some good words here. The tracks offer a lot of variety. In trying to come up with comparisons I thought of artists like Matchbox 20, R.E.M., Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, even some Gordon Lightfoot. It isn't proggy, it never rocks really hard, there are a lot of string arrangements. Another member mentioned getting a Zeppelin/Kashmir vibe during "Devil's Stomping Ground"... YES... I fully agree. Its a very enjoyable listen all through. Its going to stay in my play rotation for quite some time, and its gonna get the ultimate honor of getting into my portable player for use on my sailboat. Only the good stuff makes it that far.

Mods - this release is definitely Poll worthy.

Anyone else order directly from their web site? I did and believe it mentioned I'd receive a confirmation email which I haven't...this happen to anybody else?

My copy was ordered direct from their site. I did get a confirmation, but it was initially directed to my spam folder (check yours). I also got a ship confirmation a few days before I received the disk.

My copy was ordered direct from their site. I did get a confirmation, but it was initially directed to my spam folder (check yours). I also got a ship confirmation a few days before I received the disk.

Thanks LMQ, that was it! To quote Yoda, stuck in my spam folder it was:) Also there was the shipping email, it's on the way (y)

This is a response to Love My Quad's post #31 (and a shout out to all on the forum)

Wow! Thrilled to read your thoughts on the record. The whole team - band, mastering engineer, Blu-ray author - strived to create something that might connect with listeners on a deep level. From a business perspective, such an endeavor is borderline lunacy. But from the creative side, we're compelled to craft our music with the utmost care, despite the time and expense. Your comments, and the support of others on this forum make it all worthwhile. It was our intention to make a record that rewarded deep, repeated listenings, and I envisioned the album in 5.1 from the outset, to the point that the arrangements were conceived with surround in mind. For me, it's the truest expression of the music.

Thank you for taking the time to absorb all of this, and to post your thoughts to eloquently and in so much detail.

With humble gratitude from a small band and our tiny little label -
Alan (and the rest of the Birdsong crew)

Heck, I thought I already ordered - scanned my emails and didn't see any confirmation. So...just placed my order. This is good stuff...

Wow! Thrilled to read your thoughts on the record. The whole team - band, mastering engineer, Blu-ray author - strived to create something that might connect with listeners on a deep level. From a business perspective, such an endeavor is borderline lunacy. But from the creative side, we're compelled to craft our music with the utmost care, despite the time and expense. Your comments, and the support of others on this forum make it all worthwhile. It was our intention to make a record that rewarded deep, repeated listenings, and I envisioned the album in 5.1 from the outset, to the point that the arrangements were conceived with surround in mind. For me, it's the truest expression of the music.

Thank you for taking the time to absorb all of this, and to post your thoughts to eloquently and in so much detail.

With humble gratitude from a small band and our tiny little label -
Alan (and the rest of the Birdsong crew)

The music world needs more folks like you...:)

I just stumbled across this topic and I listened to the youtube samples and was impressed...I just ordered and received my confirmation email....I wanted to know more about this group..so I found THIS

It's amazing that this group...with limited resources...was able to bring a surround title to the market place in the best format..at a very modest price.. while the so called "mainstream" artists still ignore the surround community..of course it helps that this band is very talented...I can only hope that this surround title gives the band more traction in the marketplace...I can't wait to audition this title(y)

Back