Birdsong At Morning-A Slight Departure July 26th

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's amazing that this group...with limited resources...was able to bring a surround title to the market place in the best format..at a very modest price.. while the so called "mainstream" artists still ignore the surround community..of course it helps that this band is very talented...I can only hope that this surround title gives the band more traction in the marketplace...I can't wait to audition this title(y)

You will be even more amazed when you hear the SQ and surround mix, not to mention the high quality material.

Here it is. This album is well composed, performed and recorded. The mix is complimentary to the music and not an afterthought. Is that enough? The videos and the artist discussing each song....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Regarding the current shipping costs...

When we first launched the release from our website, we had incorrect pricing information for international shipments. Because I had offered the product at the $10 international shipping, I felt obliged to honor that, even though shipping costs from US to Europe for individual pieces does in fact top the $20 mark. Since there were a handful of European orders, I was able to combine them all and ship to a friend in the UK, who then kindly mailed each one individually to UK and EU. That's not a favor I can call in again (and in the end, still meant incurring a loss on the shipping when it was hit with customs duty). For now, I'm afraid the rate to Europe has to remain that high. Multiple copies however (say 3-4) can be sent for the same price, so perhaps there's some way to band together...

I am also in discussions with a UK distributor - if we can work things out, then there would be much better rates for Europe. I'll let the forum know if this ends up happening.

Again, apologies for those who want to experience the music in hi-res/5.1 outside North America. We greatly appreciate your interest and support.

Alan

Hi All,

Finally got some better pricing on shipping to Europe - down to $14. Wish it could be lower, but such seems to be the world if international commerce...

For those that find that price too high, it may be that once the Blu-ray is officially released later this month, that ordering from CDBaby or Amazon may have reduced shipping costs due to their European fulfillment centers.

And hope those who have received the discs are enjoying them. Let us know what you think.

Thanks,
Alan

My copy has arrived (UK), thanks. Have you thought about talking to Burning Shed for the UK/Europe?

Well, we QQ'ers are a picky/fickle bunch. Seems that since surround is the main focus of the site, we tend to scrutinize down to the most absurd detail sometimes. I am guilty and even with this one, initially found reason to question. FredBlue and I both noted that we initially thought this was a 4.1, not 5.1. Why? Because on a few songs, there is very little information coming from center channel speaker. Some songs have no information. But upon further listening we realized that sometimes it's just not a conventional 5.1 mix. Where the center is typically utilized for locking in the lead vocal information. Clearly you chose (or whoever mixed it) to not follow this. But, now that I'm over that little shock....I realized it simply does not matter.

This disc sounds absolutely stunning in my opinion. Sure, I could go to my center channel and not hear vocals, but sitting in my listening spot...I would never have known. Again, it simply does not matter. The fidelity sounds awesome and the vibe of the tunes is wonderful and mysterious at times.

What you will find as more people listen - you may find some nit-picking just what I mentioned. Unfortunate, because to me, it just sounds exceptional. Great work. You guys should be proud of this release, it just sounds that good to me. :)

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to this yet, but shipping internally to the US was really fast. I think within two days of my order.

My copy has arrived (UK), thanks. Have you thought about talking to Burning Shed for the UK/Europe?

Yeah, seriously. Look into Burning Shed as a great online store option for European customers.
Their store is one of the biggest supporters of selling surround releases that we have ever known, and I buy from them all the time! :)

Yes - I have been in contact with them, and are trying to work out either distribution or fulfillment. Will certainly inform the group if that happens.

No worries - I know everyone here take their audio VERY seriously.

Center channel is a much discussed topic among those who mix in 5.1. As a complete novice at mixing in surround, I spent a lot of time auditioning various mix approaches, isolating channels, etc. to see what was really going on. I found such a broad range of approaches that I decided there really was no hard or fast "rule," especially regarding vocal placement. Avalon had some fairly radical isolation (all vocal processing in rears, multiple lead tracks in fronts, totally dry vocal in center), whereas many other mixes tended to avoid the center channel altogether. I also noticed that placing audio in the center channel sometimes resulted in some odd phase issues that seemed to really vary between different listening environments. I'm sure the members of this forum have carefully calibrated their playback levels and positioning, but this is certainly not the case for a broader set of listeners who have widely variant set-ups. The safer bet was to avoid putting too much crucial information in the center channel. I did take advantage of the center channel for a few subtle moments. For example, the vocal on the verses of "Devil's Stomping Ground" begin aimed more in the center, then spread to L/R each time the melody ascends.

I agree that with a little hindsight, the mixes could be a little bolder in localizing some placements for more dramatic effect. I'm very happy to hear that you are finding the music/audio to be of high quality. Despite very low budget, and mixing conditions that you would simply not believe (on my laptop, in a very poorly converted 10' x 15' office space with no isolation whatsoever), I think it came out well. Everyone involved certainly strove to achieve as high a quality of performance and recorded audio as possible. Of course working with pros on the mastering/authoring end made a world of difference (though I was really psyched that mastering engineer Adam Ayan found he had to do very little sonic adjustment to the mixes).

I'm absolutely open to constructive criticism and value the feedback from the type of dedicated listeners that actively participate in the forum.

Alan - I appreciate your response. Awesome....I am very sure that it was a challenge, considering budget, to pull this off. Again, you all did a wonderful job. I am far from an audiophile type. But, music is my hobby and I listen to my system daily. Just for fun, I recalibrated my setup last night and really cranked it up. Your disc/music really sounds great. This one will get some good rotation from me and I can't wait to show my son this weekend when he visits.

Back