Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$150 list for a 9 album bluray box of all quad albums is more than fair I would say esp since they are 9 best selling widely known albums

$250 for a box of stuff just to get a single 5.1 bluray for a marginally successful title is so far out of line its absurd

Very well put.

It can't hurt to get the idea to AP, regardless of the label situation. Ok, so the debut isn't in the set. No biggie.

But that's not the issue. AFAIK, Alan Parsons has always been interested in remixing and releasing his back catalogue in surround sound, but it's the labels (who own the rights) that have stopped him from doing so.
Plus, it especially doesn't bode well given the fact that Sony has not been active in releasing new surround sound mixes themselves over the last few years.
The only major surround sound reissue I can think of that they have released in the last few years was "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters.
I still think this will be a one-off, but I only want to be proven wrong if future releases are much cheaper than this one will be...

Actually, maybe we have overreacted for nothing.
Look at these comments posted on the official Alan Parsons Project Facebook page:

Someone asks:
Since most fans have Tales in many formats already. In the future, will the 5.1 mix be available as a stand alone blu-ray?

They replied:
We believe Universal do plan to eventually release the 5.1 surround sound Bluray as a stand-alone product.

So maybe we should just chill out for a little bit, and wait to see what happens as we get closer to the actual release date, which still appears to be several months away.
I for one am not going to engage with negativity on this subject anymore until it becomes very clear closer to release date what are options really are.

Actually, maybe we have overreacted for nothing.
Look at these comments posted on the official Alan Parsons Project Facebook page:

Someone asks:

They replied:

So maybe we should just chill out for a little bit, and wait to see what happens as we get closer to the actual release date, which still appears to be several months away.
I for one am not going to engage with negativity on this subject anymore until it becomes very clear closer to release date what are options really are.

Finally, some rationale news. Thanks Ryan.

These pricey boxsets bring up an interesting point. Why do these artists and/or labels ASSUME that we want them in the first place? Sounds like a GIANT ego trip.....especially for ONE album.

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk and now Mirage are two prime examples. TUSK should've been released as stand alone LOSSLESS BD~A. I bought the boxset which is collecting dust as I've only played the LOSSY DVD~V......I'm definitely not springing for the upcoming Mirage boxset especially to be 'rewarded[?]' again with a LOSSY DVD~V 5.1.

It's akin to two hours of foreplay when a 'quickie' will suffice.

Nuff said.

Finally, some rationale news. Thanks Ryan.

These pricey boxsets bring up an interesting point. Why do these artists and/or labels ASSUME that we want them in the first place? Sounds like a GIANT ego trip.....especially for ONE album.

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk and now Mirage are two prime examples. TUSK should've been released as stand alone LOSSLESS BD~A. I bought the boxset which is collecting dust as I've only played the LOSSY DVD~V......I'm definitely not springing for the upcoming Mirage boxset especially to be 'rewarded[?]' again with a LOSSY DVD~V 5.1.

That's because these box sets are not geared towards those of us who love surround sound first and foremost.
They are geared towards the most hardcore fans of a particular album who want anything and everything to do with it collected together.
The only reason that the surround mix is lumped in with these super deluxe box sets as opposed to being a standalone release is that sometimes these labels don't think they can sell enough single surround discs on their own to make it worth the effort needed to release them as such.
By lumping them in with other CDs and vinyl records in a single set, they feel like they can do a better job breaking even on the expenses associated with creating and releasing the surround mix (including tape transfers and authoring costs) because they are marketing it towards the album's biggest fans, along with those of us willing to spend the money to get the elements we want too.

It's not the kind of logic that's most conducive for us surroundophiles, but there you have it.

Sorry, my last post was intended to say 'Songlines' in refeference to this post:
My advice, Adam>invest in those Telarcs, Songlines (especially) and Concord mch SACDs before they go OOP forever. I too am royally miffed about the Alan Parson's pricey boxset because like many others, all I want is the BD~A 5.1 as I, too, have owned Mystery over the years in many different configurations. Of course, the conundrum exists if this set does NOT sell well, it won't bode well for other Parson multichannel releases but if they're ALL going to be pricey boxsets then I'm afraid we will have a problem on our hands....in the neighborhood of a $600 to over $1K investment!

Considering that we did get 9 BD~A Quadio Chicago albums in a box for roughly the price of ONE Alan Parson's BD~A 5.1.........REALLY?

He QT, thanks for reaching out to AP, and thanks to AP to see what can be done.

My preferred option would be a reasonable priced stand alone bda or a hi res stereo and mch flac download.
From APP Facebook
Thanks for all the feedback about the release, very much appreciated. We have listened to the comments of a number of fans on the issue of a standalone BluRay and are in discussion with our label Universal to find out if and when this is possible. We'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all the opinions, i sent Alan the link so he can read them all. My guess is we will help form an opinion that helps the surround fans get a solution to the boxset situation, and get a stand alone release. We will see!

Thanks for all the opinions, i sent Alan the link so he can read them all. My guess is we will help form an opinion that helps the surround fans get a solution to the boxset situation, and get a stand alone release. We will see!

Thank you, most kind of you to reach out to Alan.

This is amazing news, thanks so much for reaching out to Alan.

I did not read this entire thread, but from what I gathered, the surround mix is only the 1976 version - so, no Orson Welles monologue? Sad, because I really really loved those sections and would have loved to have them in the surround mix. Either way, I'm definitely with you guys hoping for a standalone release. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This is amazing news, thanks so much for reaching out to Alan.

I did not read this entire thread, but from what I gathered, the surround mix is only the 1976 version - so, no Orson Welles monologue? Sad, because I really really loved those sections and would have loved to have them in the surround mix. Either way, I'm definitely with you guys hoping for a standalone release. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

You bring up a great point in that even if there's just one surround mix for the '76 version, they should include a high-res stereo master of the '87 remix on the Blu-Ray too, along with any bonus audio tracks that were mastered in high-res as well. That would be utilizing the Blu-Ray to its fullest extent. :)

Tales Of Mystery & Imagination uDiscover

No standalone Blu-ray as yet, far as I can see..

Nothing has been mentioned yet, but I would bet there will be more release configurations besides just this box set. Whether there will be a stand-alone Blu-Ray release in that lot, we don't know yet, but usually there are other configurations in these reissue campaigns, including but not limited to a single remastered CD edition, a double CD edition, a vinyl edition, and of course the super deluxe box set for those who want all of the above and more!

Alan sent me this today, he is working to get the surround fans a single release.

Forgot to send you this. Applying pressure now for an independent release of the 5.1.
Love to all,

A

Back