What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a sucker for happy endings!

Haha.. :D
I'm hopeful this will be a happy ending for Melissa in Quad, its my 3rd copy since the previous two LPs were Stereo when they arrived despite being listed as Quad by sellers I've bought off before who usually know their Quad a$$es from their Stereo elbows! :ugham:

Then Came You - Dionne Warwicke (sic) (CD-4)

German Quadro record (lets see if this one goes sandpaper on me like the last one! :D )

Had a wee play with my German Dionne this morning.. and am relieved to report not a hint of sandpaper, she sounds smooth and lovely!
(I'm guessing the U.S pressed CD-4 I have must've been worn by its previous owner? despite looking excellent and sounding wonderful in Stereo! I'll never understand this CD-4 thing, its a minefield! :nuke )

Shrink wrap still on cover is a nice thing IMO.

I'll tell you, as many of our members know that back in the late 70s and up through even the late 80s there were quadradiscs found in the bargain bins still sealed for $2.99. Titles like Pussycats, Muscle of Love, Eric Carmen, #10, There's one in Every Crowd, and others could be found. The only problem was that $2.99 in the 70s was like coughing up $10 a slab, still considerable cash to lay out. Each time I went and gathered up the funds and returned to the store to nab that precious still sealed CD-4, it was gone! I only had luck when I grabbed them right then and there.

well that's what I was hoping for.. a sealed CD-4 record would be a many splendoured thing.. sadly its not to be.. Side 1 is, other than the first track, a sandpaper fest! Ssssssssshhhhissshhhhioneeeeee... you get the picture.. Side 2 is fine.. :ugham:

well that's what I was hoping for.. a sealed CD-4 record would be a many splendoured thing.. sadly its not to be.. Side 1 is, other than the first track, a sandpaper fest! Ssssssssshhhhissshhhhioneeeeee... you get the picture.. Side 2 is fine.. :ugham:

I kinda get the impression some of your CD-4 discs aren't STILL SEALED but RE-SEALED. I know in the UK a lot of new to purchase discs did not come in shrink wrap.This makes your search a bit tougher I'm afraid.
Difficult to tell what is used as compared to new. Some new UK titles I purchased came "sans" shrinkwrap of any kind.

FWIW

You should glom onto those German/UK issues. I found the few I had to be superior pressings compared to the comparable U.S. titles. (At least with those Warner Electra Atlantic pressings anyway)
Good job you can still get some of those, btw.(y)

I kinda get the impression some of your CD-4 discs aren't STILL SEALED but RE-SEALED. I know in the UK a lot of new to purchase discs did not come in shrink wrap.This makes your search a bit tougher I'm afraid.
Difficult to tell what is used as compared to new. Some new UK titles I purchased came "sans" shrinkwrap of any kind.

FWIW

You should glom onto those German/UK issues. I found the few I had to be superior pressings compared to the comparable U.S. titles. (At least with those Warner Electra Atlantic pressings anyway)
Good job you can still get some of those, btw.(y)

could well be Fizzy.. I dunno.. its just bizarre how some CD-4's where the sleeve is a ringworn shit fest (and there's been a few of them on this Quad vinyl trip.. but beggars can't be choosers!) demod into Quad no problem and then something in shrinkwrap (resealed or not..) that looks brand new when I scrutinise the disc with my LED torch just starts dissssshhhhhtorting like a MoFi..! :D

picking up the German ones with the silver foil diamond shape CD-4 sticker on them when I find them, though they don't come up that often.. and trying to find a Passport/Handmade German one is like looking for a shibata needle in an elliptical haystack!

could well be Fizzy.. I dunno.. its just bizarre how some CD-4's where the sleeve is a ringworn shit fest (and there's been a few of them on this Quad vinyl trip.. but beggars can't be choosers!) demod into Quad no problem and then something in shrinkwrap (resealed or not..) that looks brand new when I scrutinise the disc with my LED torch just starts dissssshhhhhtorting like a MoFi..! :D

picking up the German ones with the silver foil diamond shape CD-4 sticker on them when I find them, though they don't come up that often.. and trying to find a Passport/Handmade German one is like looking for a shibata needle in an elliptical haystack!

Yes, I know and me seeing those foil WEA sticker label jobs makes me wish I still had my demodulator. I ENVY you.

They also had a boatload of Warner titles that begin with prefix # K2 etc. In the UK and European markets that is. But did have U.S. titles, imported as well.

That Passport disc can't be that rare, as it was available from U.S suppliers back in the day, and it was also available from Japan Warner Pioneer.

I think DEAF SCHOOL-2ND HONEYMOON may be a challenge ? But.......you never know.
Anyway it's a "joy" to see those German WEA discs made for the European market.
I personally think they are the more rarer of the CD-4 issues, great job in finding any.(y)

Hi. All

Some more CD-4 LP`s came today

( Victor. CD-4 CD4W-7002 -My Shaw/ Xavier Cugat )-
( JVC. CD-4 CD4W-7006E -Jazz Messengers )-

IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Fred, don't hate me:flame, but as much as I love that Manilow LP, it has an annoying 4 channel mix. If you have access to the 2 channel mix, compare the two and see if the wrong things don't jump out at you. I found the back up singers were hollow like channel leakage and Barry seemed to be in the rear channels. I have the CD4, Q8 and a reputable digital transfer and my feelings haven't changed. Manilow II is still a desert island disc to me, but only in stereo. That is something I thought I'd never say. This LP was one thing I craved to hear in 4 channel glory for a couple years. There is only one CD4 I was more disappointed with, and it wasn't for the mix. For the record, (pun intended), the other one is the Japanese LP, Louis Armstrong - Country Western. I love Louis, I love C&W, they don't mix. Please believe me, I beg of you!:yikes

Hey Fred, don't hate me:flame, but as much as I love that Manilow LP, it has an annoying 4 channel mix. If you have access to the 2 channel mix, compare the two and see if the wrong things don't jump out at you. I found the back up singers were hollow like channel leakage and Barry seemed to be in the rear channels. I have the CD4, Q8 and a reputable digital transfer and my feelings haven't changed. Manilow II is still a desert island disc to me, but only in stereo. That is something I thought I'd never say. This LP was one thing I craved to hear in 4 channel glory for a couple years. There is only one CD4 I was more disappointed with, and it wasn't for the mix. For the record, (pun intended), the other one is the Japanese LP, Louis Armstrong - Country Western. I love Louis, I love C&W, they don't mix. Please believe me, I beg of you!:yikes

haha.. not at all! :upthumb
ultimately it's a £5 Barry Manilow record.. neither of those things seem hugely important in the great scheme of things, the fact that it's got some sort of Quad about it is enough tbh :) (though knowing my luck with CD-4 it'll probably be a sandpaper fest anyway! :eek: )

OOOOOoooow that is a hard one to come across I don't have it MMMmmmm I`ll have to put my hunting cap on & go hunting now ????

tbh I only remembered after Fizzy mentioned it on here as a hard one to find that I had actually found a couple of copies earlier in the year but then forgotten all about them.. when I went back to look for them after Derek's post, the one @Discogs had gone already but the other copy elsewhere remained unsold, so I pounced! :eek:

Back