Not streaming - dedicated PC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using an old HTPC via HDMI for many years now and am very pleased with the results. My main gripe, no SACD support, was settled more recently by the BD player hack. (I don't care about DSD-PCM conversion, but apparently there are ways to avoid that as well if desired.) So now I only need optical drives for ripping; I almost never use them to watch or listen in real time.

I also use Foobar for audio and JRiver for video. I don't care for JRiver's interface - Foobar can be just as ugly and boring as I want it to be :) - but I like the way JRiver just works well for video without a lot of screwing around, even at 4K with the latest version.

Haven't bothered with a remote app for JRiver; I just use a wireless keyboard (Logitech K750). For Foobar I used for quite awhile an Android app called Foobar2000 Controller Pro, but have recently replaced that with another called FoobarCon Pro, which seems somewhat more intuitive to me.
i also use a wireless keyboard and mouse for the time being. Works great as long as I have my AVR remote handy as well for quick volume, etc.

I've moved pretty slow with the music server building project. I skipped the NAS and raid setup. I just installed 16TBs of HDD storage internally in my i7 computer. Quite a simple setup, but effective. The backups are my old external drives.

Yes. I just wanted to make sure I couldn't do this with the Fire Stick before I built the PC. My plasma TV has three fans in it already, so one more shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Oh, didn't realize you have a "plasma" TV.

Be very wary of using a plasma as a computer monitor for your HTPC because burn-in is an issue and programs like Foobar will become burnt'in if playing all night.

LCD, LED TV's are much better suited for use as PC monitors. Ironically OLED's are NOT suited as PC monitors even though they have the best picture.

I know from experience :cry:

What would be really cool was if a manufacturer came along and sold all this gear but in a simple modern 2 box solution (HD>AMP).

What I really want is to have the cool 70's silver/wood finish and an oscilloscope! :love: I know many members may have this but I'd like it to accept all modern file formats.

You could have a SSD HD with all your music stored and a matching amp. Both similar proportions and in silver/wood.

The Amp LCD display to show - Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyser, Dedicated Lossless/DSD/Atmos Lights, Album Artwork, All The file data etc etc... All for 1000 bucks!! If you take the audio parts from an oppo 203 and future HD prices coming down it might be doable?! Might not much sense but basically I want a 21st century
Marantz 4400 or similar! Right time to wake up! :coffee:

Be very wary of using a plasma as a computer monitor for your HTPC because burn-in is an issue and programs like Foobar will become burnt'in if playing all night.

I have a wife and three kids in the house. Listening sessions longer than an hour are a rarity. Never all night. :(

You can build a HTPC a lot of different ways using a lot of different components. You seem to be talking about building a PC with its own internal storage. And that's fine, but here are the downsides to doing that:

Noise: The fans and the hard disk drives (HDDs) are the only moving components in PC. They make noise. For the fans you can pick and choose and get quieter ones. For the HDDs, not so much. The only way to reduce the HDD noise is by soundproofing the enclosure that holds them (often times, this is at odds with the cooling/fan issue) or by moving the drives away from the listening area. This is why you will see a lot of fanless designs used for HTPCs. Using a Network Attached Storage (NAS) component will allow you to move the HDDs away from the listening area as well, which is why many people use them. You will need a home network to use a NAS, preferably a wired network, but you can use a wireless network as well. Moving the HDDs out of the PC enclosure also means the overall size of the enclosure can be reduced, again, something many people desire.

Sharing: With a one piece HTPC set up in your listening location and no network connection, the only place you can access and control the stored music files is at that listening location. But if it were network connected, you could access music from any other point that is also network connected. For example, all my music files, both surround and the stereo formats, are on a single NAS box. Only my main listening room is capable of surround playback. But my wife and I also have several laptops and a few portable bluetooth speakers in the house. She may decide she wants to head out to the back patio and listen to some Zeppelin (which she often does). To do so she can take a laptop (which has a copy of KODI on it) and a portable Bluetooth speaker and access the NAS files. My son can use his phone to access the NAS and play music back through earbuds.

The network connection provides a lot of additional flexibility.

There are several threads in the tech sections at the lower end of the topic list that you can look at and read up on. Have a look.

Also, KODI has a great interface, so be sure to check it out as well. The thing that has prevented me from using Foobar on a regular basis, as well as JRiver for that matter, was the inability for either of them to provide on screen lyrics, which I really like. But now I see lyrics being shown on a few of the Foobar screen shots and I may have to look into it again. JRiver will not do that. The Foobar views can look great with a good skin, but the KODI screens are equally nice. The one I use (championed by Homer in the tech sections I spoke of) show an artist slideshow along with auto scroll on-screen lyrics while the music plays. The downside with KODI is no SACD ISO playback, but I convert that all to FLAC anyway.

Lots of interesting thoughts. I'm not worried about SACD, I have an Oppo BDP-83 in the system, my concern was more for surround FLACs. (BTW, I thought Foobar played SACD isos.)

It does. The problem, historically, was how to rip an SACD to .iso (or any other file format)

I'm not worried about DSD-PCM either. In fact, I have small mains and use the subwoofer "LFE+Mains" setting on my receiver, which works in PCM but not in DSD (some of the quad SACDs lose a lot without sending the bass to the sub).

DSD to PCM is a nonissue -- in fact, it's kind of pointless to leave those gigantic DSD files intact, when e.g. 88kHz/24 PCM should satisfy all reasonable, fringe, or even imaginary sources of audio paranoia.

I didn't realize that JRiver even dealt with video. I saw a friend who has it set up for his whole house streaming and liked the interface. I like Foobar for it's functionality and all the info you can get from it, but it looks very much like something from last century. I enjoy having album covers, lyrics etc on the TV while listening with the HT system.

And all that is certainly doable with Foobar2k.

It never occurred to me to control Foobar with an app. I just figured you would click and play the same way as you would using it on your computer. This is exactly the kind of thing that I think I may be locked into old thinking with. I really appreciate that info and will check it out.

It allows you to control it from, say, a tablet, even though the audio files and software reside elsewhere.

For the HDDs, not so much. The only way to reduce the HDD noise is by soundproofing the enclosure that holds them (often times, this is at odds with the cooling/fan issue) or by moving the drives away from the listening area.

I was just GIVEN two 500G SSDs (where's Snood's bananas?).

I'll put a Wi-Fi card in it for sure. I've just had better luck playing from local files.

Last edited:
DSD to PCM is a nonissue -- in fact, it's kind of pointless to leave those gigantic DSD files intact, when e.g. 88kHz/24 PCM should satisfy all reasonable, fringe, or even imaginary sources of audio paranoia.

I agree, but that seems like the kind of statement that can possibly cause a flame war.

What do you find to be the advantages? Convince me to go out and buy more stuff.
So, I haven't ripped my SACDs. It's a question of lack of free time above everything else. So that might be a different calculus. It won't play ISOs but it plays back everything else, including multichannel DSD files. And the UI is intuitive and simple and it plays every disc, as well. Less clutter etc.

I was just GIVEN two 500G SSDs (where's Snood's bananas?).

Whatever drives you use you will want to run at least two in a basic RAID configuration, where one is the mirror image of the other, so if the primary drive fails, you have its backup. Depending on format, it can take an hour or so to rip and tag a Hi Res MC disk. Its not something you would want to have to repeat.

So those two SSDs will provide less than 500GB of storage. Assuming an average of 3GB per disk, that's about 170 disks or so. How big is the library you want to build?

I have also heard (but have no experience to back this up so YMMV) that large SSDs are not the best choice for the type of long term storage as you would be doing when storing music. Supposedly there are issues with data loss, which is definitely something you want to avoid.

Just responding to the noise hdd issue. I do not think that is a problem anymore, newer/later drives with lower than 7200 rpms are very silent. I can't hear any noise from hdds in my desktop.

I have 12TB in the desktop and use 3x5TB external hdds as backup. Was thinking about getting a NAS, but don't feel I need it - yet... :)

Yes, and no dsd, iso etc - all flac or mkv.

You can build a HTPC a lot of different ways using a lot of different components. You seem to be talking about building a PC with its own internal storage. And that's fine, but here are the downsides to doing that:

Noise: The fans and the hard disk drives (HDDs) are the only moving components in PC. They make noise. For the fans you can pick and choose and get quieter ones. For the HDDs, not so much. The only way to reduce the HDD noise is by soundproofing the enclosure that holds them (often times, this is at odds with the cooling/fan issue) or by moving the drives away from the listening area. This is why you will see a lot of fanless designs used for HTPCs. Using a Network Attached Storage (NAS) component will allow you to move the HDDs away from the listening area as well, which is why many people use them. You will need a home network to use a NAS, preferably a wired network, but you can use a wireless network as well. Moving the HDDs out of the PC enclosure also means the overall size of the enclosure can be reduced, again, something many people desire.

Sharing: With a one piece HTPC set up in your listening location and no network connection, the only place you can access and control the stored music files is at that listening location. But if it were network connected, you could access music from any other point that is also network connected. For example, all my music files, both surround and the stereo formats, are on a single NAS box. Only my main listening room is capable of surround playback. But my wife and I also have several laptops and a few portable bluetooth speakers in the house. She may decide she wants to head out to the back patio and listen to some Zeppelin (which she often does). To do so she can take a laptop (which has a copy of KODI on it) and a portable Bluetooth speaker and access the NAS files. My son can use his phone to access the NAS and play music back through earbuds.

There are several threads in the tech sections at the lower end of the topic list that you can look at and read up on. Have a look.

Also, KODI has a great interface, so be sure to check it out as well. The thing that has prevented me from using Foobar on a regular basis, as well as JRiver for that matter, was the inability for either of them to provide on screen lyrics, which I really like. But now I see lyrics being shown on a few of the Foobar screen shots and I may have to look into it again. JRiver will not do that. The Foobar views can look great with a good skin, but the KODI screens are equally nice. The one I use (championed by Homer in the tech sections I spoke of) show an artist slideshow along with auto scroll on-screen lyrics while the music plays. The downside with KODI is no SACD ISO playback, but I convert that all to FLAC anyway.

Great explanation! Completely agree!

It does. The problem, historically, was how to rip an SACD to .iso (or any other file format)

I agree with the premise. If they are level matched they should sound the same. In my case or philosophy I would much rather leave the source format as is, which means leave the ISO as is and convert on the fly if necessary. Do you notice a difference in gain between say playing an SACD directly versus playing back the converted PCM files. In my setup I notice about an 8 dB difference. Are you compensating for some of this by applying gain in the conversion process ?

I use ReplayGain on all my FLACs to level match my MCH music as I tend to flick around various albums and there’s quite a difference between many albums. ReplyGain doesn’t alter the waveform it’s just metadata to tell your player to raise/lower volume by x dB to match the norm level.

Whatever drives you use you will want to run at least two in a basic RAID configuration, where one is the mirror image of the other, so if the primary drive fails, you have its backup. Depending on format, it can take an hour or so to rip and tag a Hi Res MC disk. Its not something you would want to have to repeat.

So those two SSDs will provide less than 500GB of storage. Assuming an average of 3GB per disk, that's about 170 disks or so. How big is the library you want to build?

I have also heard (but have no experience to back this up so YMMV) that large SSDs are not the best choice for the type of long term storage as you would be doing when storing music. Supposedly there are issues with data loss, which is definitely something you want to avoid.
I only wish to play FLACs from the SSDs. Mainly transfers of legacy quad rips. These FLACs will also "live" on my main PC (which is where they are now). I think the real advantage to the SSD will be (like you said) no motor or fan noise. I don't plan a main/backup setup, but rather one drive containing the OS/programs, and the other dedicated to just media.

Back