Not streaming - dedicated PC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, you had to do it....you got me all curious. I would sure love a step by step explanation on how to do that....if you think it helps. Let me pre-empt by saying that all my gear (PC included) are routed to my AVR.

Right click anywhere on the windows desktop and click display setup - choose 1080 for display 2. Try it.

I use Kodi for playing all of my audio/video files, except for SACD ISOs which I use Foobar for.

Kodi looks a lot like Plex, which I currently have on my Fire Stick.

Does Kodi stream 5.1? That would eliminate my need to do any of this. Maybe it does, but my Fire Stick won't support it?

Kodi looks a lot like Plex, which I currently have on my Fire Stick.

Does Kodi stream 5.1? That would eliminate my need to do any of this. Maybe it does, but my Fire Stick won't support it?
Kodi uses 'wasapi' which outputs the raw audio to your receiver and bypassing any of your pc settings/limitations. As far as I know, it will output any kind of audio file such as Atmos, DTS-X, True-HD, DTS-HD MA, DD+, etc. I only have 7.1 with no Atmos/DTS-X, but it will play these raw streams and my avr just uses the core 7.1 True-HD/DTS-HD MA. I'm sure Homer could explain what is capable a lot better than me. I just know that with 'wasapi' enabled, it will output whatever audio is in the original file to your avr, so if it's 5.1DD, your avr gets 5.1DD, 7.1TrueHD outputs as 7.1TrueHD. I love my Kodi and like I said before, it will play pretty much any audio/video file types, except for the SACD ISOs.

Kodi uses 'wasapi' which outputs the raw audio to your receiver and bypassing any of your pc settings/limitations. As far as I know, it will output any kind of audio file such as Atmos, DTS-X, True-HD, DTS-HD MA, DD+, etc. I only have 7.1 with no Atmos/DTS-X, but it will play these raw streams and my avr just uses the core 7.1 True-HD/DTS-HD MA. I'm sure Homer could explain what is capable a lot better than me. I just know that with 'wasapi' enabled, it will output whatever audio is in the original file to your avr, so if it's 5.1DD, your avr gets 5.1DD, 7.1TrueHD outputs as 7.1TrueHD. I love my Kodi and like I said before, it will play pretty much any audio/video file types, except for the SACD ISOs.
Okay, but what device am I using to output to the AVR? Will it do that with my Fire Stick or do I need to buy something else?

I think it depends on the platform . On Windows 7 it should do 5.1 just fine.
So, you are saying it will do that if I build the PC. But if I build the PC I will just play the files from the hard drive, right? I hope I'm not being obtuse, I just think I'm missing something here.

Okay, but what device am I using to output to the AVR? Will it do that with my Fire Stick or do I need to buy something else?
I honestly don't know much of anything about the Fire Stick, so I can't help you with that. I just use my laptop for everything. At a guess, I kind of doubt that you could control and do everything with the Fire Stick, but who knows? When Homer is back on here he could tell you everything you would want to know about it I'm sure.

I honestly don't know much of anything about the Fire Stick, so I can't help you with that. I just use my laptop for everything. At a guess, I kind of doubt that you could control and do everything with the Fire Stick, but who knows? When Homer is back on here he could tell you everything you would want to know about it I'm sure.
Okay, you're using a laptop. Thanks. I knew I was missing something.

Most people doing this type of thing just set up a HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer). Basically with modern equipment, all you really need is a pc with an HDMI output, a receiver with an HDMI input, and then of course the speakers. If you already have a sound system with an HDMI input and a computer with an HDMI output, then that's all you need to make it work.

So, you are saying it will do that if I build the PC. But if I build the PC I will just play the files from the hard drive, right? I hope I'm not being obtuse, I just think I'm missing something here.
It will play the files either from the hard drive or from your network NAS/Server.

If you are considering this HTPC approach, then you should consider a small Intel NUC box , like a number of folks have mentioned.

Yes. I just wanted to make sure I couldn't do this with the Fire Stick before I built the PC. My plasma TV has three fans in it already, so one more shouldn't be a deal breaker.

OK, you had to do it....you got me all curious. I would sure love a step by step explanation on how to do that....if you think it helps. Let me pre-empt by saying that all my gear (PC included) are routed to my AVR.
These days there's no worries about slowing down yor PC with upscaling. All that stuff is handled by the graphics chip (GPU), not the main processor (CPU). In fact, the PC graphics often did a better job of this than the TV, but I'm not sure if that's still the case with the newer 4K TVs. Best to try it both ways, and see which looks the best.

I really like this setup in DarkOne 3.1. The second image is very close to what I would design myself.

darkone_v3_1_by_tedgo-d33pj8h.jpg

Back