Styx - The Mission - coming to 5.1 surround Blu-Ray in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't start that replacement stuff ...no wonder the disc format is doomed...every time someone "thinks" something is wrong...they start to think they should have something fixed...the fix that is really needed...is right here

If you've been following all the posts, it sounds like something IS amiss. For some posters to say the Stereo portion of the BD~A sounds better than the 5.1.......obviously something is out of whack.

Don't be paranoid.......replacement discs, if necessary, will certainly NOT spell the doom of 5.1 remasters.

If you only knew how many times there are defective BD~Vs and replacements are ordered without any fanfare!

If you've been following all the posts, it sounds like something IS amiss. For some posters to say the Stereo portion of the BD~A sounds better than the 5.1.......obviously something is out of whack.

Don't be paranoid.......replacement discs, if necessary, will certainly NOT spell the doom of 5.1 remasters.

If you only knew how many times there are defective BD~Vs and replacements are ordered without any fanfare!

You don't even have the disc yet and you are mentioning replacement discs...what does that say?...we might be a niche market but we probably lead the free world in complaints....if it's not the drums in the wrong place...it's the bass..or the vocals are too front channel centric...or my dog doesn't like it...or my stove doesn't work so it must the mix....it's really hard to listen to this over and over...same complaints:rolleyes:

If there is nothing wrong with the 5.1 Mix, I’ll be surprised. Surprised because, u people with discerning ears, did not catch it (the problem that may exist). 😲:love:

Sometimes with the release of a highly anticipated 5.1 remaster [such as The Mission], defects are overlooked [and even accepted] only to regretfully discover down the road, SOMETHING DEFINITELY WAS AMISS...and then it's TOO LATE.

You don't even have the disc yet and you are mentioning replacement discs...what does that say?...we might be a niche market but we probably lead the free world in complaints....if it's not the drums in the wrong place...it's the bass..or the vocals are too front channel centric...or my dog doesn't like it...or my stove doesn't work so it must the mix....it's really hard to listen to this over and over...same complaints:rolleyes:

Clint, I literally have thousands of surround discs in my collection and sometimes I vehemently disagree with a lot of posters regarding the pros and cons of 5.1/4.0 remixes. Some highly touted ones are, IMO, BLAH. Yes, I don't have it [The Mission] but I think certain poster's negative reviews are as valid as the positive ones.

NUFF SAID!

You chided me the other day regarding my 'ecstatic' review of Bruce Springsteen Live In New York City [multichannel single layered SACD]. Well, I played it on my megabuck MAIN SYSTEM the other night and was BLOWN AWAY by its brilliance. And that negative review of 4 which you mentioned was PURE BULL:poop:, quite possibly dissuading others to seek out this disc!

ALL SOUND SYSTEMS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL.

Last edited:
Clint, I literally have thousands of surround discs in my collection and sometimes I vehemently disagree with a lot of posters regarding the pros and cons of 5.1/4.0 remixes. Some highly touted ones are, IMO, BLAH. Yes, I don't have it but I think certain poster's negative reviews are as valid as the positive ones.

NUFF SAID!

You chided me the other day regarding my 'ecstatic' review of Bruce Springsteen Live In New York City [multichannel single layered SACD]. Well, I played it on my megabuck MAIN SYSTEM the other night and was BLOWN AWAY by its brilliance. And that negative review of 4 which you mentioned was PURE BULL:poop:!

Well with your "megabuck MAIN SYSTEM" none of these complaints should matter...and if you want to trust a malcontent on amazon and NOT trust fredblue...that is certainly your choice...but I really didn't "chide" you...I just mentioned it.....you have managed to "suck the life" out of this thread with your speculation...so I'm off of this thread:rolleyes:

Well with your "megabuck MAIN SYSTEM" none of these complaints should matter...and if you want to trust a malcontent on amazon and NOT trust fredblue...that is certainly your choice...but I really didn't "chide" you...I just mentioned it.....you have managed to "suck the life" out of this thread with your speculation...so I'm off of this thread:rolleyes:

Sorry, but that last post didn't make a lick of sense. Clint, I love you and respect you but like all hotheads [me included] in the heat of an argument.....things DO get lost in translation!

And fredblue was my inspiration for joining this website in the first place and NO disrespect was meant to him.

Really enjoying the music and the mix. I did find the rear surrounds a bit hot so I'm listening with the side surrounds at -3db from calibration. Once I did, it really opened up the surround field, creating that bubble of sound. I wonder if having the vocals coming from the rears, fronts, sometimes both and sometimes one or the other is throwing people 'off'.

This is not the only disc where I play with the surrounds at a lowered volume. My side surrounds are closer then should be so I'm sure that is what lends to the problem.

Really enjoying the music and the mix. I did find the rear surrounds a bit hot so I'm listening with the side surrounds at -3db from calibration. Once I did, it really opened up the surround field, creating that bubble of sound. I wonder if having the vocals coming from the rears, fronts, sometimes both and sometimes one or the other is throwing people 'off'.

This is not the only disc where I play with the surrounds at a lowered volume. My side surrounds are closer then should be so I'm sure that is what lends to the problem.
I’m really beginning to wonder if the front and rear channels are switched. I shouldn’t be hearing the main lead vocal quite a bit louder in the rear channels vs the front. Also, the drums?

I respect everyone’s constructive criticism input here. In this case, Clinty and 4 ear 👂👂👂👂. That’s why I remain a member.

I’m really beginning to wonder if the front and rear channels are switched. I shouldn’t be hearing the main lead vocal quite a bit louder in the rear channels vs the front. Also, the drums?

I respect everyone’s constructive criticism input here. In this case, Clinty and 4 ear 👂👂👂👂. That’s why I remain a member.

It happens, Perp [rear/front channels switched], a classic example being Ten Years After "A Space in Time." People did complain, some actually turned their listening chairs around to compensate but it was never [much to our dismay] corrected.*

If that IS the case with The Mission, I'm sure Tommy Shaw and Styx who were kind enough to release it as a stand alone BD~A/CD at an incredible price will want to satisfy their fanbase and customers alike.

*we didn't shout loud enough

Ok let me start by saying - WOW :eek:

This is my review on Amazon and I plugged QQ - hope it makes it on............:SG

First off - Let me say what a GREAT concept album this is - This is NEW Styx, but with a few touches of old STYX and QUEEN even \o/

OK secondly, Please try to temper or temper the review of the 5.1 before mine from some other person (have no idea what kind of hearing problems, sound system problems or digestive impaction he or she might be experiencing that is causing problems with their hearing ) . Yes, I am also mega familiar with the great 5.1 mixers Steven Wilson, Elliot Scheiner, Bob Clearmountain. That being said, I am very familiar with surround sound, the effects, whether they be Quad or 5.1.

If your sound system is positioned correctly ahem ......this is definitely a great surround experience. I walked up to each speaker and re-winded mega numerous times......yes you might hear a lil bit of say a guitar or piano piece up front while it is majorly more prominent in the rears, but this is definitely NOT - I REPEAT NOT, big stereo.....THIS IS A SURROUND TRIP - the special effects also go from one speaker to the other and other and so on...........

Some of the more rock songs might be a less surroundy, but OMG this as a whole is AWESOME - Maybe not on par with the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON SACD, but daaaaaaaaaaaamn - Major Kudos to STYX for making this a very very very enjoyable rocket ride to MARS!!

Pick this up now if you are a STYX fan and have a surround sound system/bluray player that is 5.1 sound - TURN IT UP and sit in the sweet spot - Take that Rocket Ride to Mars and save EARTH!! \o/

The graphics with each song are nice and you can turn on lyrics if you want.

3 choices of Surround and Hi res Stereo tooo at 24/96 on both........holy crap!!! Pick this up now if you are into Surround.

So inexpensive and so AWESOME......

Oh BTW for you new or old to surround sound - come check out the greatest surround forums on the internet

quadraphonicquad dot com

yeah add the www. before and dot is a period - urrrm you guys and gals know - tell em Snood sent ya - Greatest nicest bunch of surround people you will ever meet. Lot of great info and people willing to help you if you are new or a pro. It is just a forums - no adds just straight fun talk on our love for surround sound.

Thank you for reading my review and look forward to seeing you all on Quadraphonicquad

Snood :banana: (you will understand the banana thing on QQ forums)

I will add on this just for here - this is a special one......not big stereo at all, if you are in the spot........you always hear distinctions heavy front or right that give it a major surround feel - i went up and back on sections and went hmmm heavy up front or back definite surround distinct, if u check on the surround coming from the back, you might hear a hint if some of it in the front, but a hint only.........and vica versa - the stuff u are hearing in surround in back you should not be hearing in front if u are in the sweet spot. The drums are fine - people saying the vocals are coming from the rears - those are the not the main vocals but more the queenish backing vocals. Not one time did Snood hear the main upfront guy sing in the rear. Drums all over.........nah too, maybe some snare in the right rear for effect.

This is a freaking kooooooooooooooo release.......turn this shit up - if you are listening low as to not piss off ur neighbors then you are missing out. PISS THEM OFF NOW!!!:hi

ooooh yeah my review made it on AMAZON :eek: with all the QQ stuff toooooooooooooooo - go to most recent:LB

Snood off to watch Tomb Raider Movie

Skherbeck called this one, being THE MISSION - waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back........... he said it was a classic. Snood was like yeah right :rolleyes:.....and he is gonna be pissed to find out this was my first listen :hi lol

I really went in.....after reading some of this :poop: - thinking OK Snood prepare meself to be very disappointed - after the first 3 songs I was like ummmmm whaaaaaa :eek: this is great - not 10 great but 8 or 9 for suuuuuuuuuuuure and it kept going in that direction. :rocks - there is no Dennis Deyoung sound alike here or nothing to me that sounds like him - there are musical scores at times that sounds like old STYX - but never was I like ohhh this is like old Dennis (thank god - Ahem Mr Roboto, loved him up through Paradise altho , Crystal Ball, Pieces of 8 and Grand Illusion were the Apex - Cornerstone Mehhhh).

Last edited:
I will add on this just for here - this is a special one......not big stereo at all, if you are in the spot........you always hear distinctions heavy front or right that give it a major surround feel - i went up and back on sections and went hmmm heavy up front or back definite surround distinct, if u check on the surround coming from the back, you might hear a hint if some of it in the front, but a hint only.........and vica versa - the stuff u are hearing in surround in back you should not be hearing in front if u are in the sweet spot. The drums are fine - people saying the vocals are coming from the rears - those are the not the main vocals but more the queenish backing vocals. Not one time did Snood hear the main upfront guy sing in the rear. Drums all over.........nah too, maybe some snare in the right rear for effect.

This is a freaking kooooooooooooooo release.......turn this shit up - if you are listening low as to not piss off ur neighbors then you are missing out. PISS THEM OFF NOW!!!:hi
I beg to differ. I may have a defective disc but the lead vocals, along with the drums, are definitely louder in the rear channels. That’s not all...it’s like the channels are switched, to a point. To me, this disc sounds better in two-channel via an upmixer. Yes, this is one of the worse Surround discs I’ve listened to.

I beg to differ. I may have a defective disc but the lead vocals, along with the drums, are definitely louder in the rear channels. That’s not all...it’s like the channels are switched, to a point. To me, this disc sounds better in two-channel via an upmixer. Yes, this is one of the worse Surround discs I’ve listened to.

:eek:Snood no get it.....is it DTS MA - DTS or DD? try the others?

Perpy check ur Atmos or whateversettings - go to straight 5.1 - me know u already prob do that , but just in case

Last edited:
I have listened to this 3 times now, and am enjoying it, but i am not a fan of lead vocals or drums comming from all speakers. But there are quite a bit of discrete things comming from the rears, so i am pretty happy with the mix. So far i am thinking of voting an 8 or 9. I like the music also. Have to give it a few more listens before i vote.

Wow. So, in summary, that reviewer thinks it's not a good mix because it's not like all the good mixes he cited. 'Nuff said. Haikubass, I think you're more reasonable than this (or were you being sarcastic?)
Reasonable, yes - never considered canceling either of my pre-orders and my back-up copy has just shipped from Amazon:cool:
That review just sounded like deliberate shooting in the foot... and I just didn't get why at first. Be it as it may, it really doesn't matter once you have the collective wisdom of QQ:smokin
Will share my thoughts right after my copy arrives!

Back