Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys speaking as an old Jimi collector this is fun news. Not to negative Nan the thread, but tbh I've not been super pleased with either the sound quality or surround mixes on Kramer digital releases over the years. I've read the stuff online that seems to suggest the mix will at least be more aggressive than the live shows Eddie mixed, which isn't saying much based on Woodstock, IOW, etc, but at least there's that. However, I remember the 90's MCA releases which he was involved with, and the digital clipping that was never acknowledged. Just did some googling and I see claims that he reportedly said something along the lines of "louder is better". Is there any evidence to suggest he's backing off on compression or loudness?

My advice...don't buy it right away...wait and see what the general opinion is...I find myself in a similar situation with Led Zep....I love their music... but the hi rez attempts are not good...IMO...so I just sat out the latest release..which I'm glad I did...in the case of Hendrix...at least they have Bernie Grundman doing the mastering....

My advice...don't buy it right away...wait and see what the general opinion is...I find myself in a similar situation with Led Zep....I love their music... but the hi rez attempts are not good...IMO...so I just sat out the latest release..which I'm glad I did...in the case of Hendrix...at least they have Bernie Grundman doing the mastering....
thanks and yeah, hoping there was some evidence Eddie realized he had this strange blindspot despite his legacy:)

thanks and yeah, hoping there was some evidence Eddie realized he had this strange blindspot despite his legacy:)

I kept hoping that Jimmy Page would "see the light"....but he never has...he has destroyed that catalog...and the ironic part is that he started out as an "innovator" in music production...those early Zep releases had plenty of dynamic range...now he looks like he's shaping recordings for people with MP3s and other portable devices:(

I kept hoping that Jimmy Page would "see the light"....but he never has...he has destroyed that catalog...and the ironic part is that he started out as an "innovator" in music production...those early Zep releases had plenty of dynamic range...now he looks like he's shaping recordings for people with MP3s and other portable devices:(

1) an MP3 is not a 'portable device', it is a playback format
2) MP3 encoding does not significantly change the dynamic range of the input. Dynamic range limitation is a *mastering choice* that precedes format choice.
3) the LZ catalog exists in multiple editions and formats for consumers to buy; it has not been destroyed

Historical note: Jimmy Page's first involvement with LZ digital mastering was for the 'crop circles' boxes and the 'studio albums' box. Neither of those are dramatically reduced in dynamic range compared to the first CD versions (contrary to hysterical claims on some audio forums).

This is great, I ordered the disc and LP package, even though I don't own a turntable, God knows I have a lot of LP box sets just to get one 5.1 disc. This is such an iconic release I want the biggest possible. Amazon US, $110.98, probably will be a bit cheaper as almost every single thing I order via pre order always comes down a hair. :SB I am not a banana guy but for this, I am.

OK! Ya! You can hear those Marshall's humming during his recording sessions, I always loved that, put those suckers on 10, and let it go!
And, this music was very unpopular in the USA, referred to as 'noise" , people would get offended by his 'Star Spangled Banner" and he had to go to the UK to make it, not until he past on and a new generation did he get so popular. But, those days if you had long hair you got beat up , or called names, now so acceptable.

1) an MP3 is not a 'portable device', it is a playback format.
True Dat.... But I suspect Clint was thinking like ....MP3 players and earbud type gear... where a reduced DR is often a good thing

2) MP3 encoding does not significantly change the dynamic range of the input. Dynamic range limitation is a *mastering choice* that precedes format choice.
True Dat....
But it should also be pointed out that the maximum dynamic range available with the mp3 format is significantly less than what is available on higher resolution formats. Still, I agree most of the DR loss is likely to be due to mastering.

3) the LZ catalog exists in multiple editions and formats for consumers to buy; it has not been destroyed.

Agreed... but a lot of the "destroyed" argument is in the eye of the beholder. From my standpoint, the LZ catalog never has had stellar fidelity... like the Who and the Stones. My go-to LZ is the 24/96 HD tracks editions that came out during the big reissue series, more than a few years back. I have no clue where they stand on the Zep audio quality scale.

Historical note: Jimmy Page's first involvement with LZ digital mastering was for the 'crop circles' boxes and the 'studio albums' box. Neither of those are dramatically reduced in dynamic range compared to the first CD versions (contrary to hysterical claims on some audio forums).

I got Nuttin'

But getting back to the Hendrix, i'm looking forward to it. The album decodes so well in faux surround that even a quality HR stereo re-master would be welcome.

True Dat.... But I suspect Clint was thinking like ....MP3 players and earbud type gear... where a reduced DR is often a good thing

True Dat....
But it should also be pointed out that the maximum dynamic range available with the mp3 format is significantly less than what is available on higher resolution formats. Still, I agree most of the DR loss is likely to be due to mastering.

Agreed... but a lot of the "destroyed" argument is in the eye of the beholder. From my standpoint, the LZ catalog never has had stellar fidelity... like the Who and the Stones. My go-to LZ is the 24/96 HD tracks editions that came out during the big reissue series, more than a few years back. I have no clue where they stand on the Zep audio quality scale.

I got Nuttin'

But getting back to the Hendrix, i'm looking forward to it. The album decodes so well in faux surround that even a quality HR stereo re-master would be welcome.

I suspect my "ignored" member has posted..I can't see his content...and I sure wouldn't want to...but yes you get the concept correctly.....it wasn't meant to be "nerd-ifed" with tech "mumbo jumbo"...now you know why he's made the ignore list...LOVE that feature.....and if anyone thinks that Jimmy Page's influence on the Zep catalog audio quality has been anything less than an epic failure..well…my condolences..

I suspect my "ignored" member has posted..I can't see his content...and I sure wouldn't want to...but yes you get the concept correctly.....it wasn't meant to be "nerd-ifed" with tech "mumbo jumbo"...now you know why he's made the ignore list...LOVE that feature.....and if anyone thinks that Jimmy Page's influence on the Zep catalog audio quality has been anything less than an epic failure..well…my condolences..

Amen, Brother Clint. Another torn PAGE out of the Led Zep saga. IGNORE and DEFEND: The Yankee Way!

You'll probably get that $5 off coupon in tomorrow's email, Mike!

You won't be sorry though. Great price for what you're getting!
This ought to be absolutely epic. I know, but haven't memorized, the CD/LP. I should be ok with any mixing decisions, as long as nothing is obviously f#*ked-up.

This ought to be absolutely epic. I know, but haven't memorized, the CD/LP. I should be ok with any mixing decisions, as long as nothing is obviously f#*ked-up.

Hopefully an understatement, Mike. As I previously mentioned, if it's done right it will be my SURROUND ALBUM OF THE YEAR! Someone knocked the Hendrix 2013 Legacy RBCD remasters [with the DVDs] but on my system, cranked up to 72, they sounded pretty great and did decode well through DSP. Hell with the critics .... I know what I like!

And when's your next album "Redistributing The Universe" coming out? And don't forget, I want a piece [of the Universe, that is].

Last edited:
And when's your next album "Redistributing The Universe" coming out? And don't forget, I want a piece [of the Universe, that is].
So, brain-storming, and a little bit of writing, has occurred. Not sure about any kind of album or project title, but what I'm thinking is a concept album about the deployed experience.
It would cycle from leaving home to returning. Typing that out feels absolutely crazy. It would be a ton of work, but when something comes from the heart, it's doable, no matter the odds.
Tracking everything consistently, with hi-res surround in mind as the end goal should be challenging, but make delivering the best possible product easier in the long run.
I'm jotting down ideas about certain sound-effects that can help tell the story and how they could tie in to songs. Rockets, canons, choppers, jets, transport planes, PA warnings and announcements, phone calls, etc.
I'm also hoping to tie-in multi-media from the outset. Making of. Recording process. Performance videos, etc. I'd also love to make some kind of connection to the industry, so I'm not personally "marketing" a release myself.
I am convinced that Disturbing the Universe gives at least some commercial releases a run for their money, and yet only a few hundred people know that it exists. That makes it special, but promotion and networking is definitely my weakness.
Production assistance is a big question to tackle. I'm not sure whether the same collaborators will be available this time around.
At least I know what I want in a concept album and from a surround mix, so I'm approaching things as a fan and a listener.
These are all interesting and somewhat cathartic things to brain-storm, though I never know how ideas will turn out. So far, there are some very promising leads though. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
Back