Newbie Advice on Quad Reciever and R2R

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk3331/disc rider

I’m new to Quadraphonic and seeking advice and recommendations about 4 channel quad receivers. I am purchasing my first 4 channel reel to reel this week. Looking for advice on which 4 channel quad receiver to purchase that is good quality and won’t break the bank.

Well, if you are only going to use a 4 channel reel to reel, you can buy a modern receiver that 5.1 has analog inputs and using audio cables connect the R2R to the FL FR SL SR inputs.

If you are going to expand to Quad LPs then you might want a vintage receiver, however, there is a lot of baggage that comes with a 40 year old piece of electronics gear.

On the other hand, you could get a Surround Master 2 or other external SQ or QS decoder and route the output into a modern 5.1 receiver in the same way. As long as you have a receiver that has discrete mutichannel inputs you can do almost anything quad with the proper external box, because in that case the receiver is basically an amplifier.

I’m new to Quadraphonic and seeking advice and recommendations about 4 channel quad receivers. I am purchasing my first 4 channel reel to reel this week. Looking for advice on which 4 channel quad receiver to purchase that is good quality and won’t break the bank.

Welcome to the forum, keep engaged and asking questions, someone here probably has an answer. Do you currently own any Quad R-R tapes or are you going to record your own material?
Also, breaking the bank is a relative statement, a price range would be helpful.
Have fun and enjoy the adventure!

Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess I need to try and understand what you’ be said here.
Thanks

You can connect audio cables from the reel to reel to a modern receiver that has multichannel analog inputs as shown below. Note that not all new receivers have analog discrete inputs.

I'll be looking for a new receiver soon also for a secondary system I have; I just checked the Denon site and their top of the line $4,000 (retail) AVR "may be" the only model with 5.1+ analog inputs. It is getting very difficult to find modern receivers (new) that have surround analog inputs. So we both have some research to do! Perhaps may try to find a slightly older model that's still new in the box or lightly used.

Welcome to the forum, keep engaged and asking questions, someone here probably has an answer. Do you currently own any Quad R-R tapes or are you going to record your own material?
Also, breaking the bank is a relative statement, a price range would be helpful.
Have fun and enjoy the adventure!
No; I don’t currently own any quad tapes . May do some recording though. Price range approx $400.
Thanks

I'll be looking for a new receiver soon also for a secondary system I have; I just checked the Denon site and their top of the line $4,000 (retail) AVR "may be" the only model with 5.1+ analog inputs. It is getting very difficult to find modern receivers (new) that have surround analog inputs. So we both have some research to do! Perhaps may try to find a slightly older model that's still new in the box or lightly used.

U might want to check into marantz as some of their avr have analog ins

What is your intention here?

Are you specifically interested in the old technology?

Are you aiming to transfer and preserve to the highest degree something on an old vintage tape?

Or are you simply interested in surround but not sure where to start - but throwing this out as a good guess?

The modern solutions will have the most bang for the buck. Best fidelity. Best convenience of setup and use. Best access to surround music.

Transferring tapes gets into snooty territory if preserving to the highest degree is the aim.

And of course if the aim is the experience of the old tech, none of the fidelity/convenience/cost discussions are relevant.

What is your intention here?

Are you aiming to transfer and preserve to the highest degree something on an old vintage tape?

Or are you simply interested in surround but not sure where to start - but throwing this out as a good guess?

The modern solutions will have the most bang for the buck. Best fidelity. Best convenience of setup and use. Best access to surround music.

Transferring tapes gets into snooty territory if preserving to the highest degree is the aim.

And of course if the aim is the experience of the old tech, none of the fidelity/convenience/cost discussions are relevant.

I recently have retired and am looking to immerse myself in analog listening as a hobby. I’m building a vinyl LPs collection and have purchased a vintage Teac A 6300 reel to reel tape deck with strong interest in jazz tapes. Also purchased a vintage Nakamichi cassette tape deck and started building up my cassette tape collection. I am a professional musician as well and am looking at buying a friend’s Akai GW-270D SS 4 channel tape deck in Trying to figure out how to integrate everything into my system without spending a bunch $$$’s on a quad receiver . Any suggestions you may be able to offer are much appreciated . So, I plan to do a little recording with the Akai 4 channel deck .

Thanks

I suppose aiming to transfer and preserve to the highest degree something on an old vintage tape?

I still keep seeing surround receivers at thrift stores for $50. Analog inputs, but no HDMI. Made for tiny speakers but works great with full size speakers. Maybe not high-end but I enjoy it. Goes good with an Oppo universal disc player, Q8 deck, and Surround Master switched through a $15 switch made for games with component video. I have a Q4 reel from when I used to do overdubs, but the price of prerecorded tapes means I don't have any.

Thanks for sharing your perspective for me. All the advice I can get on the front end will help point me in the right direction I eventually will need to go.

I still keep seeing surround receivers at thrift stores for $50. Analog inputs, but no HDMI. Made for tiny speakers but works great with full size speakers. Maybe not high-end but I enjoy it. Goes good with an Oppo universal disc player, Q8 deck, and Surround Master switched through a $15 switch made for games with component video. I have a Q4 reel from when I used to do overdubs, but the price of prerecorded tapes means I don't have any.

Actually not a bad idea, if something goes wrong, at least you're not out a lot of coin. If you know what you're looking for and can test the equipment thoroughly before purchasing somehow, would be a good bet. Electronic equipment as it is, is all subject to something going out at any time, even on new stuff - it's all a crap shoot- AFAIC! I also have a R-R to hookup, mine is a Teac A-2340.

I believe this is the current new and cheapest with "analog in" Marantz at between $800-1000; Marantz AV Receiver SR5013, still out of budget range though.

Yep spendy...but look for older used model
Good luck to us all cuz i need one too...but my income is currently in the crapper n im spending mucho dinero on oop music....so newer avr n 2nd system building will be on hold for awhile...probably another 1-2 yrs away...plus other things need $ like home n health....ive not even yet placed my next DV order yet...hopefully guess who vol 2 will still be there in july or August

Yep spendy...but look for older used model
Good luck to us all cuz i need one too...but my income is currently in the crapper n im spending mucho dinero on oop music....so newer avr n 2nd system building will be on hold for awhile...probably another 1-2 yrs away...plus other things need $ like home n health....ive not even yet placed my next DV order yet...hopefully guess who vol 2 will still be there in july or August

Yup, it can take time, I plan on spending at least the rest of the year trying to assemble more of my gear and maybe even another year yet. Sometimes what's available can limit your choices in another way; as I just got the Surround Master v2, which is a great piece of gear, but a no brainer, as there are no other similar "new" decoders out there.

How well does the surround master do with stereo cd sources as ive no lp or reel to reel collection...almost everything i own is on disc and ive not the funds to attempt vinyl quad searching...those r rare as hens teeth n very expensive

Back