Newbie Advice on Quad Reciever and R2R

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will chime in here. As much as I would like the reliability and warranty on new receivers, none will have surround outputs for recording to the reel deck. If you are still considering vintage, the two best affordable models I know are the Sansui QRX7001 and the JVC 4VR-5456. There are higher end models but they will break the bank, or at least my bank. Unfortunately modern gear is not designed for recording, just playback. With vintage stuff expect to see a tech for ensuring its longevity. I would search your area and see who is still around and maybe stop by for a chat to see if they can meet your needs and if they desire the work. In my city there is a really good tech that lacks desire and I dropped him in favour of another who charges less, desires to work for me and does quality work. He has gotten repeat business from me and doesn't laugh if I say quad or 8 track. No matter which way you choose to go, good luck and keep asking us questions, we love to give opinions! Some may even be useful. 😆

I will chime in here. As much as I would like the reliability and warranty on new receivers, none will have surround outputs for recording to the reel deck. If you are still considering vintage, the two best affordable models I know are the Sansui QRX7001 and the JVC 4VR-5456. There are higher end models but they will break the bank, or at least my bank. Unfortunately modern gear is not designed for recording, just playback. With vintage stuff expect to see a tech for ensuring its longevity. I would search your area and see who is still around and maybe stop by for a chat to see if they can meet your needs and if they desire the work. In my city there is a really good tech that lacks desire and I dropped him in favour of another who charges less, desires to work for me and does quality work. He has gotten repeat business from me and doesn't laugh if I say quad or 8 track. No matter which way you choose to go, good luck and keep asking us questions, we love to give opinions! Some may even be useful. 😆
Hey, I really appreciate your comments as I am trying not to make the wrong choices in this new arena for me. I was also looking at the Sansui QRX70001 and hope I can get one refurbished and serviced and at a reasonable price that I can afford . I have had a hard time locating a local tech as you recommended. I would love to hear from anyone who knows of a good tech in near proximity to my location in Jackson, Ms.

Thanks again

I recently have retired and am looking to immerse myself in analog listening as a hobby. I’m building a vinyl LPs collection and have purchased a vintage Teac A 6300 reel to reel tape deck with strong interest in jazz tapes. Also purchased a vintage Nakamichi cassette tape deck and started building up my cassette tape collection. I am a professional musician as well and am looking at buying a friend’s Akai GW-270D SS 4 channel tape deck in Trying to figure out how to integrate everything into my system without spending a bunch $$$’s on a quad receiver . Any suggestions you may be able to offer are much appreciated . So, I plan to do a little recording with the Akai 4 channel deck .

Thanks

Are you specifically interested in the old technology?

I suppose aiming to transfer and preserve to the highest degree something on an old vintage tape?
I am specifically interested in the old technology; yes.

I am aiming to transfer and preserve to the highest degree something on an old vintage tape; yes.

I don't know anything about anything but welcome to the club, your avatar is cool.
We all give each other little pet names, so lets see dsk3331, how about "disc rider".
I like these offbeat subjects as I learn alot.

Thanks for the kind welcome. And, your avatar is cool too. Hey; I kinda like the adoptive pet name you suggested for me; "disc rider". How do I incorporate my new disc rider identity in the club? By the way; what is the pet name you've taken on?

Thanks for the kind welcome. And, your avatar is cool too. Hey; I kinda like the adoptive pet name you suggested for me; "disc rider". How do I incorporate my new disc rider identity in the club? By the way; what is the pet name you've taken on?
My best buddie, calls me Markie.

How well does the surround master do with stereo cd sources as ive no lp or reel to reel collection...almost everything i own is on disc and ive not the funds to attempt vinyl quad searching...those r rare as hens teeth n very expensive

You know there's a thread for that!!!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-with-the-surround-master.20908/#post-256851
Also see this one:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...9-qq-test-lab-report-surround-master-2.26725/
It's a great choice IMO as it does triple+ duty; mainly decodes what it can from regular CDs and LPs or any 2 channel analog source. I've recently ran a 3.5mm cable out from my computer's speaker connection that splits to a 2 wire RCA (male) to feed the SMv2 right from my computer. That way you can feed it just about anything that's digital on your computer like wav, flac etc. playing through a program like Foobar2000 or even Windows Media Player. It does a really good job on most titles; but it depends on each title and even each song as to how well it decodes. Most songs are very immersive at the very least. Another thing is, it is the only currently manufactured decoder for surround formats like QS and SQ in case you get into that later. It also has a stereo bypass.

If the interest is in the experience of the old tech (all the interesting parts along with any and all the shortcomings), then that's that.

But if the interest is in the actual music and seeking out and preserving it with the least generational damage...
Our modern 24 bit HD digital format and available equipment is your friend!

Computer = access to ALL digital formats in the highest quality the format is capable of. 24/96 is pretty much what comes off the mixing desk and mastering desk now. You can deliver and preserve this 1:1

The critical parts are the AD conversion going in and the DA conversion going out. Spend high dollar on those bits!
The rest in-between is shuttling ones and zeros around. Learn the system enough to do this losslessly (ie avoid unnecessary conversions or digital reductions).

Class A AD stages WILL preserve an analog signal fully and completely at 24 bit HD. Invest time up front framing and capturing that signal and then preserve it digitally with 24 bit HD.
This part obviously gets into working with older analog formats (for older music), so you'll have plenty of fun and old tech experiences along the way here!

You can kind of have everything now. HD digital can be your baseline and preservation format and you can add old analog devices to the mix for digging up old buried treasure.

It's not really analog vs digital either! Analog never went away. The AD and DA stages are exceeding critical and require precision in their analog stages. Garbage in, garbage out applies more than ever. A so-so digitization of something with consumer grade converters leaves a lot on the cutting room floor by an incomplete capture. This isn't the fault of the digital system when this happens. It's the analog stage in the AD converter lacking. On playback, a cheap DA stage means not fully hearing what's in the audio data.

Invest in a good audio interface with high quality AD and DA stages first.
Get comfortable with the computer. It really makes even just playback simple. Especially with access to literally every digital format.
Then go after older analog devices to get access to old recordings. Now you can actually hear what's on them to the highest level and preserve them.

That's what I recommend.

But again, if the aim is truly for the user experience of old tech and one is not shooting for audiophile or at least fullest fidelity possible, then carry on with that. :)

I’m new to Quadraphonic and seeking advice and recommendations about 4 channel quad receivers. I am purchasing my first 4 channel reel to reel this week. Looking for advice on which 4 channel quad receiver to purchase that is good quality and won’t break the bank.

Greetings to a fellow Mississippian interested in surround :rocks:rocks !

Attachments

• 54797856_281870162702837_6630100079501901824_n-1.gif
    54797856_281870162702837_6630100079501901824_n-1.gif
    170.2 KB · Views: 84
Then there's a few of us "Die-hards" that just refuse to give up on our "antiquated" systems. Two Pioneer SA 706's, Akai GX 270D SS Reel to Reel, Dual 721 turntable CD 4 compatible, JVC 4DD-5 and Sony SQD 2020. Plus a bunch of other "antiquated" gear.
I'm right in there with you on collecting and preserving vintage analog.

Yep spendy...but look for older used model
Good luck to us all cuz i need one too...but my income is currently in the crapper n im spending mucho dinero on oop music....so newer avr n 2nd system building will be on hold for awhile...probably another 1-2 yrs away...plus other things need $ like home n health....ive not even yet placed my next DV order yet...hopefully guess who vol 2 will still be there in july or August
Thanks for the input. Since I'm a Newbie to all of this, could you educate me on 1) what 5.1 is referring to?, and secondly 2) what oop music is?

Thanks for taking the time to bring me up to speed.

OOP means out of print. 5.1 means 5 full range speakers and 1 subwoofer. I use my universal player to downmix to 4.0 (quad) for my Sansui and JVC receivers. This essentially puts the front center channel across the front speakers and sends the bass full range to all speakers.

Back