The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well at the very least, we have a nice surround BD~A of Imagine through Yoko's auspices. If only George's widow, Olivia, would step up with a 5.1 remix of ALL THINGS MUST PASS!
Lennon insisted that the tracks for the Imagine album be recorded "dry." This left Yoko et al with the opportunity to work their magic with the remixes. Sadly, ATMP was recorded "wet," thereby receiving the full Phil Spector treatment. As far as I'm concerned, Spector should be thrown in jail for his messing with ATMP and Let It Be. Wait a minute, Spector's already in jail!

Yep, all those Spector studio effects were printed directly onto the multis. I suppose they could still try to mix it into surround, but it'll sound the same as it always has :(

When I posted my disappointment with the very recent MQA Japanese Remaster of ATMP [dreadful sounding], another QQ poster stated that there was a superior vinyl remaster floating around which somehow eliminated Spector's abysmal WALL of SOUND approach. So perhaps, all isn't lost. Dhani Harrison had a hand in this 3~Disc, 180g Pressed in Germany Vinyl remaster:

Read the Amazon Reviews: https://www.amazon.com/All-Things-M...+remaster&qid=1568605542&s=music&sr=1-1-fkmr3

Last edited:
I bought the record the day it came out, 50 year's ago this month at Sears, Concord, California. I had walked over to the store every day for a few weeks, knowing a new Beatles record was coming out. We didn't know at the time, or at least I did not, that this was the last new Beatles record. At the time, I thought this was a new faze and style of the band, and how they would bring a modern sound for future Beatles records in the 1970s. There was an unreal amount of records there, at least over 300 copies. So many, that there were hundreds on the floor. It took less than two weeks for most of those records to disappear, then sell out just about, until they were able to get more in stock. Sears is still there, at Sun Valley Mall, but effectively barely hanging on.

I'm really looking forward to this new release.

I bought the record the day it came out, 50 year's ago this month at Sear's. I had walked over to the store every day for a few weeks, knowing a new Beatles record was coming out. We didn't know at the time, or at least I did not, that this was the last new Beatles record. At the time, I thought this was a new faze and style of the band, and how they would bring a modern sound for future Beatles records in the 1970s. There was an unreal amount of records there, at least over 300 copies. So many, there were hundreds on the floor. It took less than two weeks for most of those records to disappear, then sell out just about, until they get more in stock.

I'm really looking forward to this new release.

No money back then, so no album purchases for me...but I had enough change to buy 45s. Regarding The Beatles, that meant yet another TWO hit singles for the price of one! How many other acts were doing that? (Then again, I never heard a Beatles B-side I didn't like.)

No money back then, so no album purchases for me...but I had enough change to buy 45s. Regarding The Beatles, that meant yet another TWO hit singles for the price of one! How many other acts were doing that? (Then again, I never heard a Beatles B-side I didn't like.)

Well, that was my story as well, I mostly bought 45s to get the most music for the money. So, a song better be really freaking good. But when it came to the Beatles, I bought everything. The record cost $3 dollars, if I'm remembering it right. That was a lot of money back then, sort of. At least for a kid.

When I posted my disappointment with the very recent MQA Japanese Remaster of ATMP [dreadful sounding], another QQ poster stated that there was a superior vinyl remaster floating around which somehow eliminated Spector's abysmal WALL of SOUND approach. So perhaps, all isn't lost. Dhani Harrison had a hand in this 3~Disc, 180g Pressed in Germany Vinyl remaster:

Read the Amazon Reviews: https://www.amazon.com/All-Things-M...+remaster&qid=1568605542&s=music&sr=1-1-fkmr3
One of the Amazon reviewers, while gushing about this release, also acknowledges that the “wall of sound” is still present. I hate to sound negative but Spector baked it in the cake.

I agree that music is the important thing.

You must really love the cover of Let It Bleed!😂

Someone should bake Spector a cake and put a chisel in it!

PHIL'S NEW WALL OF SOUND

See the source image

With all the talk of Dolby Atmos occurring on this thread I thought maybe now is a good time to update my receiver. Something between advancing years and not keeping track of technology puts me in a dodgy situation. It seems all new receivers come with HDCP 2.2 and this will limit what other hardware that can be used with it. I'm not sure if it's just 4K stuff so I need to keep digging. Some reports are that if your telly isn't compliant than you get no picture? Presently I don't care too much about 4K but I wonder whether there may be a problem caused by the modern mastering of the AR bluray? Wonderful! Although I need to keep exploring, I'm yet to find a device that does Atmos and True HD. Same with the DTS formats or is it that I'm just not willing to spend a huge amount of money? I was hoping to Resolve this before Abbey Road arrives but seems to be ever more unlikely

Back