McCartney/ Wings - Band on the Run streaming Atmos February 2nd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding that Quad DTS-CD, I did an interesting thing with my rip in Audacity to song Mrs. Vanderbilt. I inverted the rear channels and then mixed them in with the fronts. It's remarkable how much of the rear information is simply duplicated in the fronts. Try it. Then bring the isolated rears back into the mix. You end up with a true discrete quad. Whether the result is good or not is another story, but it is definitely more discrete than the stock quad on the DTS-CD.
You'd think putting the "hey-ho" vocals in the back would be a no-brainer, but they're entirely upfront. Fortunately, the new Atmos mix corrects this injustice :)

I am in the minority here, I guess. Although I like the Atmos mix, I don't love it. Giles, once again, proves that he does not take an overall view of an album, but instead mixes each track quite differently in many cases...and this inconsistency drives me nuts! When listening to great Atmos mixers (SW, etc) you get a perspective that often does not change throughout the album...similar objects are placed in similar spots, and one gets the same musical vibe from each of the tracks, and can get immersed easier cuz there is consistency and logic, even in wildly creative mixes. Not with Giles' work. Each track has a different mixing style, it seems.

That being said, he does some of his best work on tracks 4 and 5 (Mrs Vanderbilt, Let Me Roll It). The lead guitar on Let Me Roll It is so defined, so well placed, that we get to hear fret board fingering, etc. Pretty nice.

This album is a major part of the soundtrack to my life, and thank goodness the Giles Martin team didn't f' it up...they just could have done so much better IMHO. I give the streaming version (let's hope for TrueHD someday) an 8.

Giles, once again, proves that he does not take an overall view of an album, but instead mixes each track quite differently in many cases...and this inconsistency drives me nuts! When listening to great Atmos mixers (SW, etc) you get a perspective that often does not change throughout the album...similar objects are placed in similar spots, and one gets the same musical vibe from each of the tracks, and can get immersed easier cuz there is consistency and logic, even in wildly creative mixes. Not with Giles' work. Each track has a different mixing style, it seems.
This also annoys me. When a "tame" mix follows an "aggressive" mix, the tame mix then sounds more blase than it actually is. It seems to be that our ears/brains have a hard time adjusting from the aggressive mix back to the tame mix. It's similar to going from surround to stereo, or stereo to mono.

Damnit Jonathan! ;) I saw your IAA email come through and I had a brief heart attack thinking that you scored the rights to distribute a download of the Atmos mix of Band on the Run. :LOL: My bad.

speaking of such things... Did you ever connect with Steve Kilbey of the Church or the label (Communicating Vessels) about a download of their The Hypnogogue album in Atmos?

April Fools Day - 5 weeks early.

Same thing happens to me every time that damn "Music of Japan" thread gets a new post.

I’m enjoying this quite a bit. I think it’s one of Giles’ best surround mixes. (Playing in 5.1) He’s getting better as he goes along. And even in low-rez I think this is probably the best the album has ever sounded. Very clean and modern sounding. I’m hearing a couple of little bits I’ve never noticed before which is nice. (I don’t ever recall the bass going so “off” at the end of Picasso’s Last Words before. I’ll have to go back and check if that’s just something I’ve missed for 50 years?)

My only complaint is Tidal offers me two versions—one without “Helen Wheels” and one with it as the last track. I want it as track 8 like my US LP and CD versions! That at it seems some of the tracks fade a bit quicker and the space between the songs is shorter sometimes.

Back