Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't buy the box but I did 'aquire' the HD 96/24 kHz of the stereo audio and I thought the remix of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason sounds incredible though my system in stereo. Perhaps the stereo mix is better than the 5.1 mix? Unfortunately I can't compare as I'm not in a financial situation to buy it.

There's something really weird in the 5.1 mix of AMLOR (and it's me who was saying it was good in my previous comments). Now the novelty excitement is gone, I've been able to listen to it more carefully. And it seems to me that the content in the rears, apart from some minor details, it's the same as the content in the fronts for most of the time.
I've tried muting the fronts and there the rears in sequence during Sorrow and there's not a big difference, some piano is missing at times, lead vocals are slightly less prominent in the rears, bass is more up in the fronts, etc. Try please making the same experiment and tell me what you think.
It sounds like double stereo, very, very different to the rest of Andy's mixes.
When letting TDB to play right after Sorrow the discreteness in the mix is incredibly different. Having the bass just in the fronts, for example, makes the album sound much clearer.
Can anyone, with the right tools, compare the rears and the fronts?

Last edited:
I am a huge Floyd fan, but AMLOR has always been my LEAST favorite album. I did not buy this box, and I am almost relieved to head the mix is not essential to own. Almost, because I would want a good mix for the fans. I hope the live bits make it up for the people who did buy. I am still hanging around the barn waiting for the Animals.

That just removed the only motivation I ever had to even consider buying this set. I saved a lot.
I'd recommend you should listen to it first and decide yourself. I'm listening to it again today, after having lowered the rears by 3dBs. And it's better.
The more I listen to this mix, the more confused I feel.
Making the most of the Christmas holidays, I watched this morning DSOT and PULSE again. Both are magnificent.

I didn't buy the box but I did 'aquire' the HD 96/24 kHz of the stereo audio and I thought the remix of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason sounds incredible though my system in stereo. Perhaps the stereo mix is better than the 5.1 mix? Unfortunately I can't compare as I'm not in a financial situation to buy it.

I have the same rip but have the opposite reaction and hear what Jon was hearing in the surround mix so I suspect it's just a case of different strokes.

Comparing the original 'Learning to Fly' stereo mix to the remix I hear in the remix an extremely muddy sound. Sounds terrible (to me). No kind of improvement on the old stereo mix (to me). I was shocked. Just the snare drum in the remix compared to the old says it all (for me). For what it's worth I'm an audio engineer with many years of experience so I consider myself a knowledgable listener. Having said that I'd be the first to acknowledge music is appreciated on an individual level and what sounds good to the listener is good etc.

Last edited:
I've continued to listen to this MLOR 5.1 mix and continue to feel the vocals are "lost" and the mix is "not clearly defined". When I get some downtime I am going to take a track, either "Learning to Fly" or "One Slip" and try some vocal stuff using RX7 Pro. If I can pull the lead vocal out of the drek and get it more up front maybe I will like the mix a bit more.

I still stand by my statement that if you listen to the first two tracks of "The Division Bell", then immediately listen to "Learning to Fly", the difference in the audio/mix quality is startling.

I've continued to listen to this MLOR 5.1 mix and continue to feel the vocals are "lost" and the mix is "not clearly defined". When I get some downtime I am going to take a track, either "Learning to Fly" or "One Slip" and try some vocal stuff using RX7 Pro. If I can pull the lead vocal out of the drek and get it more up front maybe I will like the mix a bit more.

I still stand by my statement that if you listen to the first two tracks of "The Division Bell", then immediately listen to "Learning to Fly", the difference in the audio/mix quality is startling.

As I mentioned dozens of posts ago, One Slip (for me) showcases how the vocals are LOST. I noticed it right away, as it is one of my favorite songs. I really don't know what happened on this one. I mean, I personally cannot imagine that any engineer listened to this finished product and said, "YES! That's the way I want it to sound." So odd. I simply do not know why they chose to totally bury David's vocals on this particular song. Makes absolutely NO sense really. And, to be clear....his vocals are there.....they are simply lost a bit, with all the other more pronounced information shoved at your ears.

As I mentioned dozens of posts ago, One Slip (for me) showcases how the vocals are LOST. I noticed it right away, as it is one of my favorite songs. I really don't know what happened on this one. I mean, I personally cannot imagine that any engineer listened to this finished product and said, "YES! That's the way I want it to sound." So odd. I simply do not know why they chose to totally bury David's vocals on this particular song. Makes absolutely NO sense really. And, to be clear....his vocals are there.....they are simply lost a bit, with all the other more pronounced information shoved at your ears.
Well if one song deserved to have its vocals buried... ;)

Agree with you with the difference between The Division Bell and this new 2019 mix of Momentary Lapse Of Reason, I have the opinion that Momentary Lapse Of Reason was difficult to record to start with and must have been a huge challenge to re-mix hence the reason we have what we are hearing now, but overall I stand by my original opinion that the sound of this new re-mix sounds great on my system at home. Maybe I have just the right set up for this particular mix.
Sorrow for example sounds extraordinary, I will say the overall surround mix is definitely not as discreet as The Division Bell. It was recorded under very different circumstances.
Interesting the Eddie Kramer remix of Electric Ladyland in 5.1 was disappointing to my ears although many loved it.

It's good to hear positive reviews because I'm looking forward to hearing this mix. It seems that many are complaining about a muddy mix, excessive bass & buried vocals. Curious how your system is set up:
Are you running speakers full range?
If not then what cross over frequency are you using for the sub. ?
Are you running all channels off your AVR or using separate amps. ?
Are you using tone control, eq. dsp or basically running a straight signal?
And what volume do you usually play your system?
Thanks!

It's good to hear positive reviews because I'm looking forward to hearing this mix. It seems that many are complaining about a muddy mix, excessive bass & buried vocals. Curious how your system is set up:
Are you running speakers full range?
If not then what cross over frequency are you using for the sub. ?
Are you running all channels off your AVR or using separate amps. ?
Are you using tone control, eq. dsp or basically running a straight signal?
And what volume do you usually play your system?
Thanks!
My equipment is on my profile

I hardwired my speakers to my Yamaha RX-A3050. I play my audio through my Oppo 103D

Back