OPPO BDP-103 Analog Outs to [insert musical 5.1 receiver here] - Looking for opinions, reviews, advice

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies. I forgot we were talking about the A 800
When you said Emotiva I visualized a receiver or pre processor.
Still try the preamp trick (yes carefully) it might be that using something with gain that is quieter will help. But probably not.
I have always been intolerant of hiss and hum too.

I am surprised the 103 has this problem.
Just checked and my little phono preamp doesn't even have a volume control. I think it's just meant to deliver the right voltage to modern AVR's.

Well fuuuuck. Is there a recommended Emotiva pre?

You need to find out whether a pre processor will solve your problem. It may or may not. How were you using the Oppo before you got the Emotiva?
A phono preamp won't help.

Last edited:
I can't comment on those older Oppo's. I am surprised a 103 has all that hiss. Has anyone posted anything about upgrading or fixing the problem?

Maybe a mod is in order.
Edit: Checked the Korean guy and his are too much money. You could buy a 203 or 205 or a 105.

Maybe you should look at that modded 105. Make him bring it over to try it out. If it solves your problem then sell your 103 to offset the expense or put it in your HT room.

Last edited:
Preamps look like they're just about as expensive and just buying a BDP-105.
Are the 105s really that much quieter? They think so on AVS Forum.

I'm pretty depressed... :(
Try setting the volume for each individual channel to the lowest setting. I believe they call it "trim"
It should be a negative number.

FWIW (saw this thread too late) I’ve been using and recommending Denon AVR 3310 / AVR 4310 / AVR 990 units because they sound good to me and these are among the last with 6 CH EXT (analogs) *and* HDMI inputs. Typically $250-$350; last one I bought was an AVR 4310 as a spare for $155! MSRP $2000

I’d bet that plugging the BDP 103 into one of these or similar would result in an acceptable noise rather that this approach of relying on (and PITA factor) the trims in the OPPO player to manage volume. Good luck

FWIW (saw this thread too late) I’ve been using and recommending Denon AVR 3310 / AVR 4310 / AVR 990 units because they sound good to me and these are among the last with 6 CH EXT (analogs) *and* HDMI inputs. Typically $250-$350; last one I bought was an AVR 4310 as a spare for $155! MSRP $2000

I’d bet that plugging the BDP 103 into one of these or similar would result in an acceptable noise rather that this approach of relying on (and PITA factor) the trims in the OPPO player to manage volume. Good luck
Thanks Tim. I'm not opposed to spending that kind of money. Do those Denons also have analog outputs? I think some AVRs let you offboard some channels to other amps.
Is this Emotiva worthless to me without a quieter BDP, such as a 105?

I would worry that even if you bought one of those receivers you still would have a noise problem. If there is noise it can't be corrected after it has been added. It may be that a preamp or receiver analog stage will provide gain with less added noise than the 103 but apparently they have a bit truncating volume control which means you shouldn't (for optimal use) use the volume control on the Oppo.

I don't think its the Emotiva that is worthless. More like the Oppo. Have that local person bring the 105 over to try out.

I would worry that even if you bought one of those receivers you still would have a noise problem. If there is noise it can't be corrected after it has been added. It may be that a preamp or receiver analog stage will provide gain with less added noise than the 103 but apparently they have a bit truncating volume control which means you shouldn't (for optimal use) use the volume control on the Oppo.

I don't think its the Emotiva that is worthless. More like the Oppo. Have that local person bring the 105 over to try out.
I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful. I really doubt I can get a stranger off of craigslist to drive over with his 105 though. I can keep that thought on the back-burner.

PMFJI - The Oppo player directly connected to a power amp is an unnatural act in terms of level matching. I think that factor is the source of the noise. Some kind of pre-amp stage feeding power amps is a natural act. ;)

Thanks Tim. I'm not opposed to spending that kind of money. Do those Denons also have analog outputs? I think some AVRs let you offboard some channels to other amps.
Is this Emotiva worthless to me without a quieter BDP, such as a 105?
Yes, also pre-outs on all channels most of the time.

Just checked and my little phono preamp doesn't even have a volume control. I think it's just meant to deliver the right voltage to modern AVR's.

Well fuuuuck. Is there a recommended Emotiva pre?
With respect to an Emotiva Pre/pro, new consider the MC-700 ($700), used consider a UMC-200 (about $250-300). I use a UMC-200. The other newer Emotivas are overkill for your setup and the older UMC-1 has issues. There are used MC-700's and UMC-200's on eBay right now.

If you still have the hiss problem with the Oppo volume set at 100% then no preamp processor will solve the problem. There is nothing unnatural about driving a set of power amps with an Oppo. Lots of people do these things today including me. But the 103 has a truncating volume control which chops bits (that is actually a little unnatural) which degrades the signal to noise ratio.
You need to borrow a preamp line stage (not a phono stage which is the first half of a preamp. You need the second half , the line stage) to see whether the untruncated (volume reduced) output of the Oppo is usable or not. If it's too loud then a simple passive attenuator (ie a volume control and you can buy these from alie express or alibaba for little money can reduce the volume without truncating bits.

If I was trying to sell a piece of gear for $700 to $800 and a serious buyer wanted to try it out in his system I think I would be willing to come by and show it. There are not that many local buyers where you can get cash in hand. Fleabay has risks for sellers. If the buyer gets buyers remorse the deal is off and they yank your money.

Last edited:
Back