Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish we had a Dollar Tree in the area. Any UHD4K discs show up yet? During Black Friday sales, Amazon does blow out some choice UHD4K boxsets which translates into $5 or $6 per disc in set and individual 4K titles for under $8.
And folks wonder why movie theaters are in trouble (well maybe some :rolleyes:)

So far RAVE reviews all around for this box set which will be released on June 16th. Sony did admit they forgot to include a second disc of extras for the Lawrence of Arabia UHD4K but will issue it soon.

Blu~Ray.com's rave reviews of Dr. Strangelove, Gandhi and A League Of Their Own and Jerry Maguire from the boxset:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dr-S...g-and-Love-the-Bomb-4K-Blu-ray/266974/#Review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gandhi-4K-Blu-ray/266982/#Review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-League-of-Their-Own-4K-Blu-ray/266980/#Review
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jerry-Maguire-4K-Blu-ray/266981/#Review
Three bona fide classics and two guaranteed to entertain all in beautiful 4k. This is a movie lover's dream set. Hopefully one of many more to come.

thanks to @hwkn for the reminder that today marks the 53rd anniversary!
IMG_9451.JPG

i'm watching with alternate soundtrack featuring a 5.1 surround mix by recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
https://www.criterion.com/films/720-monterey-pop

And folks wonder why movie theaters are in trouble (well maybe some :rolleyes:)

Is THAT the reason? Really? It's more about streaming services like Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Prime and Netflix, etc. offering movies in 4K for LESS than the price of a bottled water in most movie venues.

The screens are BIGGER, the sound systems more rapturous but in order for a family of four to enjoy a first run movie at a cinema today with refreshments and soft drinks factored in, the tab can be as high as $60 or $70...or MORE!

Is THAT the reason? Really? It's more about streaming services like Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Prime and Netflix, etc. offering movies in 4K for LESS than the price of a bottled water in most movie venues.

The screens are BIGGER, the sound systems more rapturous but in order for a family of four to enjoy a first run movie at a cinema today with refreshments and soft drinks factored in, the tab can be as high as $60 or $70...or MORE!
Well, I do believe it's "a" factor, with the current large ugly Gorilla in the room - COVID-19.

Well, I do believe it's "a" factor, with the current large ugly Gorilla in the room - COVID-19.

With social distancing, especially in an enclosed environment, doubtful a lot of theaters will re open. But prior to that, the average joe was already complaining that with the price of tickets escalating and the cost of refreshments [I know, BRING YOUR OWN], it was no longer an affordable luxury.

Just like enjoying a Broadway show with some tickets going for over $1K per seat........not to mention dinner and parking!

Methinks the landscape will change forever in the forseeable future for concert, movie and Broadway venues because experts are proclaiming Covid~19 will be around for at least another year and even if some of these venues do re~open, with 1/4 capacity enforced ....... a lot of them will probably become extinct, SADLY!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Mad Max Fury Road streams in Dolby Atmos via Amazon Prime?
I'm assuming it would require Firestick 4k.

Do you realize the picture quality of your local theater is now inferior to the lowest-end big-screen TV? 2K resolution, no OLED, no HDR, no Dolby Vision, no Atmos (mostly), lower brightness, sticky floors, cellphones buzzing ...

Even the theaters that claim 4K projection don’t really have it, cuz most releases are mastered in only 2K quality. You can get 4K HDR et al, but only in the “premium experience” theaters. Not enough of those, and if you miss the one week your choice is playing, too bad.

Haven’t been to a theater but once since last May, right when I got my 77” LG OLED and Atmos setup.

Coincidence?

Do you realize the picture quality of your local theater is now inferior to the lowest-end big-screen TV? 2K resolution, no OLED, no HDR, no Dolby Vision, no Atmos (mostly), lower brightness, sticky floors, cellphones buzzing ...

Even the theaters that claim 4K projection don’t really have it, cuz most releases have only 2K quality. You can get 4K HDR et al, but only in the “premium experience” theaters. Not enough of those, and if you miss the one week you choice is playing too bad.

Haven’t been to a theater but once since last May, right when I got my 77” LG OLED and Atmos setup.

Coincidence?

The last time I went to my Local AMC theater was to 'behold' AVATAR in 3D and I must say it was a dazzling experience. Didn't get up once to use the facilities or visit the concession stand. Of course, I was unaware that most theaters are projecting in 2K.

My BIG regret is that LG, Samsung and SONY no longer support 3D. The 3D image on my 2016 LG 3D TV is ASTOUNDING. Go figure, they finally perfect 3D for the home and then pull the plug. But then again, I know a lot of people that cannot watch 3D without getting nauseous or have vision problems. MORE than you know!

BTW, watched my 'bargain' [$1.25] BD~V version of the original Twilight directed by Catherine Hardwicke last night and actually enjoyed it WAY MORE than when I initially watched it. The BD~V sound/picture were stunning on my OLED TV. Am wondering if I should spring for the UPSCALED 4K version [HDR10/Dolby Vision] which I understand is much better but NOT superior to the BD~V.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twilight-4K-Blu-ray/213246/#Review

Last edited:
BTW, watched my 'bargain' [$1.25] BD~V version of the original Twilight directed by Catherine Hardwicke last night and actually enjoyed it WAY MORE than when I initially watched it. The BD~V sound/picture were stunning on my OLED TV.

It is astonishing how much better plain old 1080p looks on OLED.
I watched The Firm on PrIme recently and couldn’t believe how good it looked.

I stopped going to movie theatres when they became video theatres.

Have to disagree there.

Do you know why THX certification was created?
George Lucas saw one of his movies in a theater and said WHAT THE %#¥€ WAS THAT? It wasn’t just the sound. Many theater owners quietly started cutting projection lamp wattage by a third to save money. He took a dim view of that.

Then the lenses. I saw Far and Away, one of the last features to be filmed in 70mm, at the Cinerama Dome and could not discern any improvement. I read how even the filmmakers were disappointed and blamed it on declining lens quality.

And finally, those awful prints. In the last days of celluloid projection there was so much shaking I got headaches.

All these issues went away with the digital switch. Film is gone for good and I’m glad. Truth is, digital cameras and projection now far surpass film (check out the Netflix Breaking Bad film in 4K Dolby Vision if you doubt this). We just need to get theater owners to upgrade to 2020 standards (the ones we have in our home theaters). I get that they don’t want to do this, having just spent a fortune switching over from film. But that, as they say, is why they get paid the big bucks (for popcorn).

Have to disagree there.

Do you know why THX certification was created?
George Lucas saw one of his movies in a theater and said WHAT THE %#¥€ WAS THAT? It wasn’t just the sound. Many theater owners quietly started cutting projection lamp wattage by a third to save money. He took a dim view of that.

Then the lenses. I saw Far and Away, one of the last features to be filmed in 70mm, at the Cinerama Dome and could not discern any improvement. I read how even the filmmakers were disappointed and blamed it on declining lens quality.

And finally, those awful prints. In those last days of celluloid projection there was so much shaking I got headaches.

All these issues went away with the digital switch. Film is gone for good and I’m glad. Truth is, digital cameras and projection now far surpass film (check out the Netflix Breaking Bad film in 4K Dolby Vision if you doubt this). We just need to get theater owners to upgrade to 2020 standards (the ones we have in our home theaters). I get that they don’t want to do this, having just spent a fortune switching over from film. But that, as they say, is why they get paid the big bucks (for popcorn).

I agree, Eggplant. And provided the movie theaters do survive in this Covid~19 age, I PREDICT 8K will eventually be the norm for Cinema. Nothing worse than worn, shoddy prints and low wattage projections when one is asked to pay a lot for the price of admission!

Been watching OUTLANDER in 4K on NETFLIX and compared to what was originally telecast in 2K via STARZ, the image is just INCREDIBLE!

Even the theaters that claim 4K projection don’t really have it, cuz most releases are mastered in only 2K quality. You can get 4K HDR et al, but only in the “premium experience” theaters. Not enough of those, and if you miss the one week your choice is playing, too bad.

Coincidence?

How do you like your LG? Trying to decide between an LG or Sony 77" OLED...and would like to do a 5.1.2 Atmos if I can figure out the .2s

It is astonishing how much better plain old 1080p looks on OLED.
I watched The Firm on PrIme recently and couldn’t believe how good it looked.

With OLED each individual pixel has the ability to literally shut down while a neighboring pixel can be full on. And with no fluctuation in black levels. Like 4 earedwonder, I had purchased a 2016 OLED as it was the last of its type to also offer 3-D, but following 2-D only OLED models have continued to have modest advancements. I've worked in broadcast television for decades and been used to seeing professional displays that must meet critical standards. Likewise for my other profession in film restoration, where display tech is again key. When it comes to black levels, nothing has surpassed what OLED can do and torture test patterns show its superiority. (It's why starfields are often OLED video demo staplemarks) Have known many professionals who when first seeing OLED tech can at first think blacks are getting crushed as the effect is so profound. (and it can if not set properly, just as any display can) But again test patterns and well known material show them this is not the case. I was fortunate enough to chat with an LG tech at length who was more than happy to compare their top of the line LED display to their OLED with a variety of content and numerous test patterns. With more demanding material and the OLED easily beat their own LED flagship display.

But going full circle here and in relation to what Eggplant mentioned above, by far the best part for me with OLED tech is ALL video fed to it benefits from superior blacks and wider color gamut. Not just 4K. Meaning: NO special discs or formats are necessarily required to see an improvement over your previous display. That being said, OLED also offers HDR, additional resolution, and a wider color that often accompanies 4K media content.

Back