Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultimately I’m thrilled to see this news.

Really, the thing that concerns me most is a Bob Clearmountain mix. I do, overall, consider him one of the best Surround engineers; but lately he’s had a penchant of being heavy handed in the center channel.
Maybe, that’s due to the influence of sound bars or something, I really don’t know, but I feel he knows better than that in creating a truly great surround mix.
I'm speechless....you are worried about Bob Clearmountain...wow...just something to consider...ES was once asked about a decision he made on a surround mix...and the answer he gave rings true to this day....the performer/band dictates the sound....some bands like to keep things as close to the original as possible and others let the mixer do what he wants....Steven Wilson has been fortunate and it appears with some of the bands he has worked for he has the green light to do it the way he wants...part of that is the respect he has being a musician himself...keep in mind...the mixer is just an employee and does what the band wants...maybe that wasn't Bob's choice...I don't know...but he's done enough excellent work to get the benefit of the doubt from me..

I like the album well enough, but I'm going to have to see some reviews of the surround mix before I plunk down that kind of cash. I like Clearmountain mixes too, but from what i have read, I'm not sure who mixed the studio surround and I'm confused if the live Brussels show is actually in surround or not.

I'm speechless....you are worried about Bob Clearmountain...wow...just something to consider...ES was once asked about a decision he made on a surround mix...and the answer he gave rings true to this day....the performer/band dictates the sound....some bands like to keep things as close to the original as possible and others let the mixer do what he wants....Steven Wilson has been fortunate and it appears with some of the bands he has worked for he has the green light to do it the way he wants...part of that is the respect he has being a musician himself...keep in mind...the mixer is just an employee and does what the band wants...maybe that wasn't Bob's choice...I don't know...but he's done enough excellent work to get the benefit of the doubt from me..
Fair points Clint, I hope it all pans out in our favor!

And that’s a winner! So what do you think the reason is that he’s gone so heavy handed to the ”Dark Side of Chucky” Jonathan?

Older material probably has something to do with it--late '60s/early '70s material has to be challenging to mix in 5.1 because most of it was probably recorded on 8-track or less--but his recent mix of A Bad Think's The Savior also had a lot going on in the center.

In the Big Pink mix, you can really hear the limitations of the source material holding him back in certain spots. "Tears Of Rage" is basically mono (everything in the center and ambience in the corners) until the horns kick in at the end. "Chest Fever" starts off with just echo in the rears, but the backing vocals pop up back there during the chorus. I honestly believe he did the best possible surround mix that could be done of that album - it's a huge improvement over the old Capitol DVD-A.

Older material probably has something to do with it--late '60s/early '70s material has to be challenging to mix in 5.1 because most of it was probably recorded on 8-track or less--but his recent mix of A Bad Think's The Savior also had a lot going on in the center.

In the Big Pink mix, you can really hear the limitations of the source material holding him back in certain spots. "Tears Of Rage" is basically mono (everything in the center and ambience in the corners) until the horns kick in at the end. "Chest Fever" starts off with just echo in the rears, but the backing vocals pop up back there during the chorus. I honestly believe he did the best possible surround mix that could be done of that album - it's a huge improvement over the old Capitol DVD-A.
Difficult for those older recordings with fewer tracks for sure. I’ve always admired what SW did with the “This Was” album. I’m also wondering if cost constraints for how long the engineer spends working on the project might influence an end result. :unsure:

Fair points Clint, I hope it all pans out in our favor!

The sad part is that most of the "mixers" can't come out and say...I wanted to do it differently....because if they did that would affect future employment...ES had the luxury of "spilling the beans" because it was late in his career...he was already established...in any event your "fears" might not be relevant because as it is being presented to us.. his mix is only on the 3rd CD..so that's not going to be in surround or even hi rez(at this point)..

I've really enjoyed some of Clearmountain's surround mixes, especially the Mary Fahl, Bob Marley, and Roxy Music mixes... all of these mixes have the center channel fairly well balanced with the other channels. But I'm not as keen on his mixes that have the super-hot center channel... I really hope this is one of his better, well-balanced mixes (but I guess we still don't know for sure if he even did the surround mix). Stones in surround is exciting as hell, and I really hope this leads to surround mixes of Pupster's top 5!

My favorite Clearmountain work:
Bryan Ferry - Boys & Girls 5.1 SACD.
Both for content & mix.

I am normally a supporter of Clearmountain but I just don't like he altered the entire feel of "Slave to Love". I remember having high expectations for this song in 5.1 only to have seem "too" different for me. Otherwise, I have enjoyed all his mixes

Back