Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4CD BOXSET

Goats Head Soup Super Deluxe box sets features 35 tracks on three CDs&one Blu-ray disc (Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1). Included are the new stereo album mix, sourced from the original session files, Rarities&Alternative mixes featuring three previously unreleased tracks, Scarlet, All The Rage&Criss Cross.

Also included is The Brussels Affair, recorded live at the Forest National Arena in October 1973. The 4 discs are housed in the boxset alongside a 120 page book with an incredible array of photos and 3 essays. 50 Years On – An Appreciation of Goats Head Soup by Ian McCann, Brussels Affair Live 1973 Tour by Nick Kent&The Story Of The Cover Art by Darryl Easlea. The set is completed with 4 x 1973reproduction tour posters, rolled up within the packaging to avoid creases.
Can you help me understand this post? Looks like a for sale ad but there is no price, and the info contained is copy pasted.

Last edited:
Ultimately I’m thrilled to see this news.

Really, the thing that concerns me most is a Bob Clearmountain mix. I do, overall, consider him one of the best Surround engineers; but lately he’s had a penchant of being heavy handed in the center channel.
Maybe, that’s due to the influence of sound bars or something, I really don’t know, but I feel he knows better than that in creating a truly great surround mix.

Steven Wilson, really? That's a bold statement in my book!

Really, though. I am glad you liked "Big Pink". Maybe I should give it another listen.

How do you feel about the mixes of "Music from Big Pink" in relation to the debut "The Band"?

I found it odd that Clearmountain might do a better job with an earlier Band album, since it seems more likely the multitracks would be funkier from the debut album. Maybe he learned something from the "Big Pink" mixes, and approached his mix of their first album with that in mind?

I actually prefer Clearmountain's Big Pink 5.1 to the The Band. A lot of people seem to discount it because the "The Weight" has a fairly uninteresting surround mix, but that song has a very basic arrangement and was likely recorded on 4-track. The rest of the songs are really good! "We Can Talk" in particular is amazing with the three vocalists isolated in different speakers. "To Kingdom Come", "Caledonia Mission", and "This Wheel's On Fire" also have really active, well-balanced surround mixes.

I love aggressive/discrete surround mixes, but The Band 5.1 has such extreme channel separation that it often sounds like you're listening to isolated multitracks rather than a full-realized mix. It's an interesting approach, but I find the album can sound kind of "un-glued" at times and overall less cohesive than the original stereo mix. I wish he'd let some sounds (drums in particular) blend into multiple speakers rather than locking them in one channel. Some songs also seem to be more of a 'triphonic' surround mix rather than 5.1 as the entire front stage is relegated to the center channel, with the front channels just carrying ambience from the center.

If you want to hear how good a surround mixer Bob Clearmountain is, check out Roxy Music's Avalon, Bob Marley's Legend, and Mary Fahl's From The Dark Side Of The Moon.

I actually prefer Clearmountain's Big Pink 5.1 to the The Band. A lot of people seem to discount it because the "The Weight" has a fairly uninteresting surround mix, but that song has a very basic arrangement and was likely recorded on 4-track. The rest of the songs are really good! "We Can Talk" in particular is amazing with the three vocalists isolated in different speakers. "To Kingdom Come", "Caledonia Mission", and "This Wheel's On Fire" also have really active, well-balanced surround mixes.

I love aggressive/discrete surround mixes, but The Band 5.1 has such extreme channel separation that it often sounds like you're listening to isolated multitracks rather than a full-realized mix. It's an interesting approach, but I find the album can sound kind of "un-glued" at times and overall less cohesive than the original stereo mix. I wish he'd let some sounds (drums in particular) blend into multiple speakers rather than locking them in one channel. Some songs also seem to be more of a 'triphonic' surround mix rather than 5.1 as the entire front stage is relegated to the center channel, with the front channels just carrying ambience from the center.

If you want to hear how good a surround mixer Bob Clearmountain is, check out Roxy Music's Avalon, Bob Marley's Legend, and Mary Fahl's From The Dark Side Of The Moon.

IMO Bob didn't get as many "significant" opportunities/jobs as ES did...not saying why...because I really don't know...but more work with high profile bands probably would have led to more recognition....if you ask people that work in the industry...I'm sure Bob would be in their top 5...

Really, though. I am glad you liked "Big Pink". Maybe I should give it another listen.

How do you feel about the mixes of "Music from Big Pink" in relation to the debut "The Band"?

I found it odd that Clearmountain might do a better job with an earlier Band album, since it seems more likely the multitracks would be funkier from the debut album. Maybe he learned something from the "Big Pink" mixes, and approached his mix of their first album with that in mind?

Small point, Big Pink is the debut album.
We were listening to it in 68 alongside Beggars Banquet.
The Band came out in 69, we heard it along with Let It Bleed.

DSCF3964.jpeg

DSCF3963.jpeg

DSCF3967.jpeg

Not my favorite Stones album but a good one. So I will be ordering. Overpriced? Maybe, I guess that depends on the mix for me. Still good news! As others have said, there may not be many more physical media releases as the market dwindles even more. And...it's the Rolling Stones! So, yes, give us Sticky Fingers and Let it Bleed next. I'm in!

Bob Clearmountain has done some great work.
Unfortunately they have "Brussels Affair" listed as CD #3.
It would have been superb to have it included on the Blu-ray.

I realize that it is listed on the CD...BUT...on some other releases(not the Stones)all the songs are included on the Blu Ray(hi rez...not surround)..but if it doesn't happen...well at least Pupster will be able to sleep at night :ROFLMAO:

IMO 80's music ruined itself...record companies tried to force feed a "sound" to the artists and a lot of the artists complied...after the music of the 60's and 70's a lot of the 80's music wasn't very relevant...of course if that was your "youth" period...then the music was fine...my friend Gos was a big deal in the 80's...everybody in his small rural community knew it...and Gos wore that distinction like a badge of honor....he terrorized the local citizenry...he drove with reckless abandon...he was known to take over the back roads with his 442...yes..for some...the 80's was a great time...but not in the music world...

I strongly disagree that his work on Music from Big Pink wasn't impressive...considering the source material...IMO he's right up there with Steven Wilson...and Elliot Scheiner...
Classic....

IMO Bob didn't get as many "significant" opportunities/jobs as ES did...not saying why...because I really don't know...but more work with high profile bands probably would have led to more recognition....if you ask people that work in the industry...I'm sure Bob would be in their top 5...
He’s been doing his own “personal” surround mixes of most of his stereo assignments for a long while, it would be interesting 🧐 to hear how he mixes surround for his own enjoyment.

Back