Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my own bundle via Amazon of the standalone redbook CD (ripped lossless into iTunes), and Blu-ray to play the high resolution surround and Atmos.

The packaging on both is pretty nice - the CD comes in a stylistically appropriate white plastic jewel-case inside a cardboard sleeve, although unfortunately one of the jewelcase hinges on mine arrived broken. The Blu-ray comes in a red plastic case, also inside a cardboard outer sleeve.

I really miss the "bundles" he had with KScope label, especially the Cd/DVD one since I could rip the DVD to have Hi-res stereo ALAC files and listen to it also in surround 5.1 DTS...while not high resolution I can tell you it's good sounding and a pretty good compromise...oh, and the cd to have it in my car stereo!

After not having liked the standalone singles (just listened a couple of times and then forgot about them), I was really impressed by the album. It's been on repeat in Tidal since Friday, like 3 times in Atmos and couple of times in stereo with headphones while working or taking some exercise. Maybe it were the low expectations, but the songs work as a whole much better than as standalone products like the singles. And the Atmos is glorious. Funnily, I discovered yesterday a new sweet spot in my living room. In a regular flat as mine, where ceiling is just 2.5 meters high, I was struggling to get a decent separation between the mains and the heights. Just by chance I sat on the floor instead off on the couch and voilà, the separation improved and the Atmos effect is much better.

I have to buy both options, one for the obvious resolution & one to rip, in order to transfer to various hi - res audio equipment.

I love the "retro" looking CD case, just a bit different looking, although it's just a plastic case, of course.....bit quirky with the series of letters & numbers, too.

Interesting, I've completely forgone buying CDs at this point if the Blu-Ray has a Hi-Res stereo mix. Every device I own at this point can play the Hi-Res files, so I don't see any point in ripping CD tracks unless there is no Hi-Res stereo version.

I quite like the album, its growing on me, had a listen to the Atmos mix earlier and my first impression wasn't great but going to give it another go tomorrow, now listening to the DTS 5.1 mix and this seems much better

I streamed the complete album a couple of times now. There are tracks I like a lot (King Ghost, Man of the People, Self) and others I'd be happy to never hear again already (Follower, Personal Shopper, Eminent Sleaze...). The rest is okay, including the B-sides.
This will be the first SW album I will not buy...
I'm sure the live experience will be great though.

Just ordered the bluray. I get all of SW's stuff because its affordable, in surround and each album has 3 or 4 songs that I really like. Please PM me with an offer if you buy the big set and have no need for the cassette. I love cassettes and have some every day because they are good for me (a cassette a day keeps the Doctor away)

Last edited:
It was waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday, have listened to all the mixes at least twice now, i’m not sure i’ll ever play it again, I know he likes to pay homage to bands he likes but this is a step too far for me, track 4 before I hear any guitar! Only 4 songs have drums on them, this sounds like depeche mode to me and they are one of my most hated bands, sorry Steven if you read this but you have lost a major fan

It was waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday, have listened to all the mixes at least twice now, i’m not sure i’ll ever play it again, I know he likes to pay homage to bands he likes but this is a step too far for me, track 4 before I hear any guitar! Only 4 songs have drums on them, this sounds like depeche mode to me and they are one of my most hated bands, sorry Steven if you read this but you have lost a major fan

Respect, to people with differing views, but i'm completely the opposite. I've never been completely into Prog Rock, but i think this is the best album his ever done. I've listened to it non stop, since receiving yesterday. It's infectious ! Full of attitude, vocally & musically. Hooks, riffs & melodies that completely get in your head. With respect, music isn't just about a guitar & drums.

Respect, to people with differing views, but i'm completely the opposite. I've never been completely into Prog Rock, but i think this is the best album his ever done. I've listened to it non stop, since receiving yesterday. It's infectious ! Full of attitude, vocally & musically. Hooks, riffs & melodies that completely get in your head. With respect, music isn't just about a guitar & drums.

I have no problem with that, respect to you too

I have no problem with that, respect to you too

Thanks. Stick with it. It may just get in your head ? When i heard "Follower" with that typical incessant drum beat, i did think, "Oh no, it's going back to that sound", but there's enough changes of musical direction for me, within the song & it's grown on me more since yesterday. It's quite fun !
I went into this with no expectations, only having listened to Personal Shopper. Hearing the rest of the album, is a wonderful, pleasant surprise to me. I've always liked synth elements within music, providing it creates an emotion, a feeling, but most importantly you have to have a melody, ( Without that, you can have all the quirky sounds you want, but it won't connect. ) & this albums full of that

I have read here, and In other places, that SW has mixed in Atmos for a 7.1.4 configuration. That reminds me the fixed channel print that some films (Disney) have.

Steven Wilson mixing studio pictures shows that he has 7.1.4 speakers. But I hope the final Atmos mix master is full of objects positions that can be rendered to more than 7.1.4 speakers.

Now I'm playing with spare speakers to add the Front Wides to get 9.1.4 in my room. Listening to In the Court of the Crimson King Steven Wilson Atmos mix, I notice very very few use of the Wides. They really sound a little sometimes, so it is not a fixed 7.1.4 print a la Disney. But it seems that Steven Wilson position the Atmos objects just at the 7.1.4 speaker positions.

I'm a prog rock fan following all Steven Wilson band projects and, of course, TFB is not my cup of tea relating to the music style. But, as I like very much the Surround and Atmos effects I have begin to give an opportunity to electronic music and some other styles. So I very welcome SW TFB.

Back