Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smashing Pumpkins

Butch Vig on recording Siamese Dream:
I think "Soma" and "Hummer" had closer to 40 guitar tracks. Not all playing at the same time, but there could be 8-10 overdubs in one section, then another 8-10 in a second section, etc. A lot of times we would bounce them down...like in the ebow part, I think that was around 12 tracks mixed down to stereo.

Awesome interview... such a rare treat to actually get inside his process a bit, both technically and creatively. I for one was quite surprised to hear that he can complete a 24 track, 40 minute album project in a week. Particularly in light of how meticulously he recreates the stereo mix from raw stems before he even approaches the multi channel mix.

As for the 90s project... I know this can’t be it because it was not such an intricate and involved original process but I would long for Jeff Buckley - Grace.

I’d rather have Jellyfish or Spock’s Beard’s first album but I don’t think any of them were “big” with sales.

Oh Geeeez don't get Snood excited like that with Jellyfish - either album would be awesome, but Snood thinx Spilt Milk would be spectacular :SB

My guess/hope: NIN - The Fragile.

it was on SW’s surround wishlist a decade ago, and Trent Reznor recently not-so-subtly hinted that he might be interested in creating an Atmos mix of that album.

Trent also talked about an atmos mix of the social network soundtrack, but doesnt he do his own 5.1 mixes (downward spiral and with teeth?)

Trent also talked about an atmos mix of the social network soundtrack, but doesnt he do his own 5.1 mixes (downward spiral and with teeth?)

He did, together with a guy called James Brown (*). I'm not sure what that means; whether James Brown was just there to assist, or whether he did the bulk of the work with only minor input from TR, or what. So yeah, you're right, but SW could still be involved.

(*) Obviously not the James Brown. But perhaps while mixing he did occasionally yell out "Good God ain't it funky now."

Steven didn't answer about how much money he made with those 5.1 mixes. I am just curious about this. Is someone here have this info? I know that artists don't talk about this often but maybe there's a way to have an estimation.

The top-selling US 90's albums, by year, are NOT exciting to contemplate...
That list is too skinny; I found this 100 Top Albums of the 90's list. Gosh, there's a lot of embarrassing dreck and only a few gems within. The only possibilities I see here is RHCP, STP, DMB, Metallica or Pearl Jam.
I suspect whatever album he's referring to is just below this radar.

Back