Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait...what??? Sgt Pepper???? Atmos??? Really?

WOW, totally missed that. o_O

I was just listening to the 5.1 (actually 6.1) Dolby TrueHD version from the box set about an hour a ago.:love:

Wasn't this mixed in atmos for some studio demo exhibition but the atmos never was ported over to the release of the physical disc?

Is this a sign that Apple has a little pull and is gonna kick Jay Z's ass?

Last edited:
I can see a new Category in Apple Music called "Spatial Audio" (or something like this, as I have language set to Spanish and what I see is "Audio Espacial").
And yes, there are quite a few albums and songs in there, but no big surprises so far. I have been just able to sample some songs in very low volume as it's still early here and I need to work.
Most of the albums are not tagged properly (you cannot know in advance if they're in Atmos or not) and some other are. For example, Goats Heads Soup is marked as Atmos and also lossless!
I'll try to investigate a little bit more after work. But sounds promising.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_085214_1.jpg
    IMG_20210608_085214_1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 70
Sgt. Pepper is really available in Atmos on Apple Music, but no indication saying Atmos for the album but when playing the songs they are tagged. Hopefully they will got the marks correct in the future. But happy listener here… :)
That's correct, Pepper is here in Atmos. I went to The Beatles catalog and there's only one version for Pepper and it's tagged as lossless. But then you play it and voilà, it's in wonderful Atmos. See the attachment, you'll see how tagging is wrong.
This makes me wonder how many other hidden albums are in here and how to find them

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_091247_1.jpg
    IMG_20210608_091247_1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 80
Mostly seems similar content to Tidal. But some new ones here and at least based on quick look, Tidal still has more contents. Sgt. Pepper was a very positive surprise. Also at least for me (with Apple TV) the issue with loudness is still there. So stereo ones are a lot louder..

Haven't tried yet with headphones

Also at least for me (with Apple TV) the issue with loudness is still there. So stereo ones are a lot louder..
From the FAQ:
If I turn up the volume of Dolby Atmos tracks, I notice that stereo tracks play much louder. What should I do?
Turn on Sound Check. Here’s how:
  • On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Music, and turn on Sound Check.
  • On your Mac, open the Apple Music app. In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences. Click the Playback tab, then select Sound Check to turn it on.
  • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apps > Music, and turn on Sound Check.

As I've mentioned in (old) previous posts on Tidal Atmos, the Apple TV converts Dolby Digital Plus to "Dolby MAT".
So you will not see "Dolby Digital+" in your receiver, even if the source (Tidal, Netflix, Apple Music) is Dolby Digital+.

Yes, lossless Atmos! Showing up as Dolby Atmos - Linear PCM on my AVR from Apple TV 4K! 🤩

There's no problem with the loudness issue either... 😅
Now that is music to my ears, Will :rocks :SB

Will give it a while longer to see how this shapes up but looks like I shall be investing in an Apple 4K box, soon.

Now that is music to my ears, Will :rocks :SB

Will give it a while longer to see how this shapes up but looks like I shall be investing in an Apple 4K box, soon.
Cool Mike, yeah see how it pans out. The new remote is a lot easier to navigate than the old one and it's certainly more functional than Tidal. No random starting of songs if you navigate away, which was annoying on the Tidal app.

It's also quite possible that Amazon might respond by opening up their Atmos content to other devices rather than just the Echo Studio

I can't get spatial audio surround playback on my 2015 27" iMac with a multichannel audio interface and studio monitors, so far. The Atmos and Lossless options are there in the macOS Music app and I have set Atmos to Always, but the "Spatial Audio" tracks just play in stereo. DVDs, Blu-Rays, multi-channel ALAC/FLAC/WAV, and even some streaming properly use my 5.1 setup through the Focusrite to play multichannel audio, but not Spatial Audio yet.

Nothing spatial from the Mac in my AirPods Pro, either, but I expected that since the iMac is older.

The weirdest thing is, even after turning on all of the Music options in Settings on my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9", I am not getting anything Spatial-sounding from my AirPods Pro there either.

I can't get spatial audio surround playback on my 2015 27" iMac with a multichannel audio interface and studio monitors, so far. The Atmos and Lossless options are there in the macOS Music app and I have set Atmos to Always, but the "Spatial Audio" tracks just play in stereo. DVDs, Blu-Rays, multi-channel ALAC/FLAC/WAV, and even some streaming properly use my 5.1 setup through the Focusrite to play multichannel audio, but not Spatial Audio yet.

Nothing spatial from the Mac in my AirPods Pro, either, but I expected that since the iMac is older.

The weirdest thing is, even after turning on all of the Music options in Settings on my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9", I am not getting anything Spatial-sounding from my AirPods Pro there either.
This is from Apples info:
  • How can I listen to lossless audio?
    You can listen to lossless audio using the latest Apple Music app on an iPhone, iPad, Mac or Apple TV.7 Turn on lossless audio in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. You can choose between Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless for mobile data or Wi‑Fi connections. Note that Hi-Res Lossless requires external equipment such as a USB digital to analog converter.
    1. Available in iOS 14.6, iPadOS 14.6, macOS 11.4, or tvOS 14.6 or later.
      1. Works with AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro and Beats Solo Pro.
      2. Works with iPhone 7 or later with the latest version of iOS; iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later), iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad (6th generation or later), iPad Air (3rd generation or later) and iPad mini (5th generation) with the latest version of iPadOS; and MacBook Pro (2018 model or later).
Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back