Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is it priced at, fifty bucks?
Heh, $150. I'd bite at a hundred or less.

I have tons of material on disc and download already, getting ATMOS streaming would be nice but I'd just be buying the Apple TV for that and $150 is a lot just for that. If I didn't already have the Chromecast Ultra I might feel differently.

I have tons of material on disc and download already, getting ATMOS streaming would be nice but I'd just be buying the Apple TV for that and $150 is a lot just for that. If I didn't already have the Chromecast Ultra I might feel differently.
just a little poke of fun :)

Having already spent $50 last year on a Fire Stick HD, simply because it was the only practical way (for me) to try out Tidal's Atmos offerings, I feel the same way. Spend three times that for the privilege of accessing Apple's Atmos streams--as long as I'm also willing to pay Tim Cook at least ten bucks a month in perpetuity? No thanks.

Even though I gave up on Tidal after six months, I don't utterly regret shelling out for the Fire Stick. Since I have an older TV with no streaming apps built in, it's still a convenient way to access all those services. But considering that all of these guys could just let us stream their services directly to our AVRs (via HDMI) if they chose to, I resent each of them strong-arming me into buying yet another device I don't need.

Last edited:
Yeah I saw you had mentioned that before for another atmos title I mentioned I found on Tidal.

I'm in the USA so that's not the problem.

I'll admit I'm not using the Tidal app to find it but the below url is the Atmos version.

You can use the web link in a browser logged in to your Tidal account and then use 'open in web app' and the silly 'heart' icon to save it to your Tidal 'collection' that you can then see from the Tidal app you're using that can play Atmos tracks.

Live from Joshua Tree
RÜFÜS DU SOL
https://tidal.com/browse/album/189095646
Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't mean to hijack the Apple thread with Tidal talk so I'll shut up if it's not helping :)
THANKS!!!

I'm not sure what having it "On" would mean on a non-Atmos capable system, maybe it is a force if it just can't detect it for some reason?
The Apple TV has no way to detect whether a receiver or sound bar can process Atmos. The switch just tells the ATV to send the metadata or not.

In your instance, if its set to on, the full content is being send and the non Atmos receiver is ignoring the Atmos metadata.

But considering that all of these guys could just let us stream their services directly to our AVRs (via HDMI) if they chose to, I resent each of them strong-arming me into buying yet another device I don't need.
What cracks me up is people will drop thousands on AVR's and speakers, and then complain about a $150 ATV.

I despise streaming apps in the TV and I DREAD the idea of them being in the AVR. I have seen apps go EOL in TV's and BluRay players because the hardware cant keep up with the software. Or the content creators realize that creating for Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Roku, and Google is enough of a market.

Oh, and dont get me started on security... or privacy...

Now imagine this paradigm with a $1500 receiver... No thanks. Have you forgotten the 90's and 00's? When receivers needed to be replaced with every update in HDMI? If anything, the companies you detest forced this change across ALL industries, because it's what consumers expect.

Most AV companies aren't UI experts. AVR interfaces are typically the weakest part of the receiver. Underpowered, bad UI, and I dont see that changing too soon. I dont buy a receiver for the UI- I buy it for the sound. Updating AVR firmware, you need to pour a drink and pray for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, ATV updates happen without issue in 2-4 minutes. Let the AVR vendors focus on what they do best.

I don't have a problem leaving the apps to the app experts, the audio to the audio experts, and to pay for their expertise on either side to keep my content looking and sounding great. When there is an update in a capability, I can EASILY upgrade that relatively inexpensive component without making the rest of my system obsolete. I don't want to upgrade my AVR hardware every time the HBO app needs DRM change that software cant fix, or for a new version of WIFI, because that would create totally different strong arming on a financial level I don't want to think about.

150 bucks for a box set with ONE album in surround…..150 bucks for an Apple TV 4k + 10 in a month and you get over 1000 Atmos tracks and more to come…. :unsure:

Imho its NOT just the cost of Apple Tv plus subscription of $10 month its also the monthly cost of hi speed internet ...which in my case is $60 month n im now paying for that...however if things ever go back to pre covid days n im not working from home i may decide to cxl internet again cuz wont be home so much
In that case ive got my discs still n some fairly decent players.

Mm yeah Apple TV is now only $10 month think they wont raise prices in the future??? They Will.

Imho its NOT just the cost of Apple Tv plus subscription of $10 month its also the monthly cost of hi speed internet ...which in my case is $60 month n im now paying for that...however if things ever go back to pre covid days n im not working from home i may decide to cxl internet again cuz wont be home so much
In that case ive got my discs still n some fairly decent players.

Mm yeah Apple TV is now only $10 month think they wont raise prices in the future??? They Will.
But you use the internet for a lot of things. So I don‘t have it exclusively for music but also to watch movies…..I think your calculation is not completely correct?

What cracks me up is people will drop thousands on AVR's and speakers, and then complain about a $150 ATV.

I despise streaming apps in the TV and I DREAD the idea of them being in the AVR. I have seen apps go EOL in TV's and BluRay players because the hardware cant keep up with the software. Or the content creators realize that creating for Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Roku, and Google is enough of a market.

Oh, and dont get me started on security... or privacy...

Now imagine this paradigm with a $1500 receiver... No thanks. Have you forgotten the 90's and 00's? When receivers needed to be replaced with every update in HDMI? If anything, the companies you detest forced this change across ALL industries, because it's what consumers expect.

Most AV companies aren't UI experts. AVR interfaces are typically the weakest part of the receiver. Underpowered, bad UI, and I dont see that changing too soon. I dont buy a receiver for the UI- I buy it for the sound. Updating AVR firmware, you need to pour a drink and pray for 35 minutes. Meanwhile, ATV updates happen without issue in 2-4 minutes. Let the AVR vendors focus on what they do best.

I don't have a problem leaving the apps to the app experts, the audio to the audio experts, and to pay for their expertise on either side to keep my content looking and sounding great. When there is an update in a capability, I can EASILY upgrade that relatively inexpensive component without making the rest of my system obsolete. I don't want to upgrade my AVR hardware every time the HBO app needs DRM change that software cant fix, or for a new version of WIFI, because that would create totally different strong arming on a financial level I don't want to think about.

Just to be clear: I'm not asking for streaming apps to be built into my AVR. I'm asking to be able to stream directly to my AVR, via HDMI, from, say, a laptop. That's how I play all my other digital files.

And no matter how much or how little I spend on my AVR and speakers, I reserve the right the complain about Apple asking me to pay $150 for their unnecessary little box...

But you use the internet for a lot of things. So I don‘t have it exclusively for music but also to watch movies…..I think your calculation is not completely correct?

Well atm im working from home n NEED internet but previously lived without it. I could spend more on it for faster speed...the 60 mth is bottom tier
Higher speed would be like $100 mth and when my internet cut out it took them 3 days to restore service...also don't think they wont raise the price on service one day??? They will.

Anyways all cost n. N interruption of service matters
Hurricane or storm comes in im screwed ive lived without electric for as long as 3 weeks!

The Apple TV+ app is available non-Apple hardware such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV just like Google's You Tube TV and Google Play Movies apps are available on Apple TV hardware.

The Apple Music app is also available on non-Apple hardware such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV.

So, the playing field is (theoretically) even and nobody is being forced to buy another company's hardware to use their software.

It's hard to imagine Apple can reasonably expect millions of users with Android based hardware will also buy Apple hardware and/or that Apple wouldn't want the Android user base subscription business for Apple TV+ and Apple Music.

The current reality is the Apple TV+ app has had issues on non-Apple hardware and though the Apple Music app is available for Android, it doesn't (yet) support Apple Music Atmos content. But I think the Apple TV+ on Android issues will get ironed out and Apple has stated that Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos also coming to Apple Music on Android

Having said that, the pessimist in me can't help suspect that though Apple may deliver on the Apple Music Atmos for Android that will only include phones and not devices such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV, kind of like the Amazon Music situation with the Sony 360 audio content only supported on the Echo speaker and phones. But as an Nvidia Shield TV owner I'm willing to wait and see at least for a little while. It will be interesting to see who Apple chooses to exclude (if anyone) from their ultimate target user base.

Last edited:
Thinking of taking the plunge and getting Apple TV . Questions for those who know:

1. Does the audio content from a US to a European subscription change?

2. I only have a 5.1 setup. How does Apple's Atmos content sound in a 5.1 setup?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
[snip]

though the Apple Music app is available for Android, it doesn't (yet) support Apple Music Atmos content.

That's the bad news.

But I think the Apple TV+ on Android issues will get ironed out and Apple has stated that Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos also coming to Apple Music on Android

And that's the (potentially) good news. But:

Having said that, the pessimist in me can't help suspect that though Apple may deliver on the Apple Music Atmos for Android that will only include phones and not devices such as the (Android TV based) Nvidia Shield TV, kind of like the Amazon Music situation with the Echo. But as an Nvidia Shield TV owner I'm willing to wait and see at least for a little while. It will be interesting to see who Apple chooses to exclude (if anyone) from their ultimate target user base.

I share your pessimistic suspicion. And I bet they'll exclude other devices, too. Right now we can stream Apple Music from our Fire Sticks, for instance. But not Apple's "Spatial Audio" content.

Last edited:
My TV doesn’t support the Apple app & other devices I own have apps that don’t work. I never thought I’d ever buy an Apple box, or pay a subscription for any music service, but I’m pleased I did.
Yes, it’s obvious the price will go up, like every subscription does, but I think £10 per month is really good value. I’ve discovered lots of music I wouldn’t have normally listened to, which has resulted in CD purchases. ( I’m of the generation that likes to own physical discs. )
I appreciate the cost for some people, but harping on about buying a box, is pretty pointless ! You want one, you buy one, simple has that.
Regards the attitude towards Apple, or other companies, I never ever thought I’d buy a Apple device. ( mainly because of physical disability to use. ) but I bought my first iPad, six months back & I use it all the time & barely use my laptop. ( Which can take forever to come on, ipad is on in a matter of seconds, I.e. immediate access to the internet. )
Enjoy the music & be open to change views….

My TV doesn’t support the Apple app & other devices I own have apps that don’t work. I never thought I’d ever buy an Apple box, or pay a subscription for any music service, but I’m pleased I did.
Yes, it’s obvious the price will go up, like every subscription does, but I think £10 per month is really good value. I’ve discovered lots of music I wouldn’t have normally listened to, which has resulted in CD purchases. ( I’m of the generation that likes to own physical discs. )
I appreciate the cost for some people, but harping on about buying a box, is pretty pointless ! You want one, you buy one, simple has that.
Regards the attitude towards Apple, or other companies, I never ever thought I’d buy a Apple device. ( mainly because of physical disability to use. ) but I bought my first iPad, six months back & I use it all the time & barely use my laptop. ( Which can take forever to come on, ipad is on in a matter of seconds, I.e. immediate access to the internet. )
Enjoy the music & be open to change views….

Both Apple hardware and software are well done. Their new Atmos music subscription service is clearly the best value of anything out there by far.

Personally I want the service not the hardware. I just don't need or want another stupid little box, especially for a single purpose application.

So, if you pay $200 for hardware and $200 for Apple Music a year, you get access to an unlimited amount of very specialized content (Atmos) that isn't going to be created otherwise.
Back in the day, $400 (when adjusted for inflation, etc) was a cheap afternoon at Tower Records! LOL

For those who are really into exploring music the math actually works.
If you only want to listen to the same old stuff you did 30 years ago...maybe not.

If you want an upgrade from VHS to 6K UltraHD in video, it isn't free (or cheap).
Neither is going from stereo to Atmos. Quality work is not cheap.
If you want cheap, there are many (lesser) ways to do DIY up-mixing from stereo.

This evening I’ve noticed that the John Mayer album is no longer all in Dolby Atmos. I first noticed on my iPad. I’ve just switched to Apple box & only the first track is showing as Dolby Atmos. Can anyone else confirm this please ?

Last edited:
Back