Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like John Mayer’s new album, ”Sob Rock”, released this Friday is going to be entirely in Dolby Atmos.
I’ve been listening to the 4 tracks available for the last month, well 3 tracks were released a few years back.
Just put it on & immediately knew something was different & sure enough it is in Dolby Atmos !
John Mayer, is one of my very favourite artists & I was so excited about Friday, now I’m counting the seconds even more ! It sounds great ! So happy !!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Amazing news! Huge Mayer fan here as well!

Looks like John Mayer’s new album, ”Sob Rock”, released this Friday is going to be entirely in Dolby Atmos.
I’ve been listening to the 4 tracks available for the last month, well 3 tracks were released a few years back.
Just put it on & immediately knew something was different & sure enough it is in Dolby Atmos !
John Mayer, is one of my very favourite artists & I was so excited about Friday, now I’m counting the seconds even more ! It sounds great ! So happy !!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Very good album.
Ta for the heads up.
Playing it now...

Very good album.
Ta for the heads up.
Playing it now...

You’re welcome ! That is just the 4 tracks ? Spotify will have it available from midnight, but I don’t think Apple Music update at midnight ?? Well they didn’t recently, when I was waiting for the latest Toto album.
Will have the CD delivered tomorrow, so it’s going to be a John Mayer weekend….& beyond !

You’re welcome ! That is just the 4 tracks ? Spotify will have it available from midnight, but I don’t think Apple Music update at midnight ?? Well they didn’t recently, when I was waiting for the latest Toto album.
Will have the CD delivered tomorrow, so it’s going to be a John Mayer weekend….& beyond !
Yep just the 4 tracks in Atmos...hopefully the rest will follow very soon.
From listening to those 4 tracks, I reckon this release is going to be right up there, as one of his better albums.

Yep just the 4 tracks in Atmos...hopefully the rest will follow very soon.
From listening to those 4 tracks, I reckon this release is going to be right up there, as one of his better albums.

Yes, I may have jumped the gun, but I’d be surprised if they weren’t all in Dolby Atmos. As I’d posted 3 of the tracks were released awhile ago, as singles, but I’m pleased they’re on this new album.
”Born & Raised” was the first album of his that I bought, fell in love with it, but my favourite album is his last one, “The Search For Everything”. I think this one could be as good, or even better ?

Just wanted to provide an update on my experiment of enabling Cloud Library on a copy of my 90K+ library. Everything has actually gone surprisingly well. It never messed with any artwork or tags so after a couple of weeks I decided to turn it on on my primary library.

There were a couple of hiccups with things I had added from Apple Music on the test library and a few tracks some of their tags (album/track names) modified (but ONLY in the iTunes Library, not in the files!). I was able to run an AppleScript that refreshes tags from the files and it fixed them all.

The next glitch was that I started noticing songs that had lost their ratings. Turns out that about 1.5% of my songs with no particular pattern (matched, uploaded, purchased, etc.) had their ratings just "gone". Fortunately I have a backup library on another machine that I meticulously sync ratings (via AppleScripts) and I was able to pull the ratings over from that to restore them.

Since that things are working fine it seems. Not for the feint of heart, I had backups of everything and was ready to bail if anything looked insurmountable.

I sure wish there was any easy way to just not have anything "matched", it really sucks to lose specific masterings when listening via Apple Music, but at least I have them on my server in a lossless Music library so I can play from that when I really care.

Something I noticed on my secondary AppleTV system that doesn't have a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver. I don't know if this was mentioned previously, but it will play Atmos tracks in standard surround if your receiver doesn't support Atmos. There is a setting on the AppleTV that is a little odd, Dolby Atmos "off" says it will play in standard Surround sound. I'm not sure what having it "On" would mean on a non-Atmos capable system, maybe it is a force if it just can't detect it for some reason?

Ubertrout,

Sorry to hear that. Too bad, as the Atmos tracks really sound great on the Apple TV 4K.

I’m allergic to bee stings, so I totally get it. Do you have to carry Epinephrine in case you walk by an Apple Store? 😝
I'm exaggerating slightly - if I see one on sale (or refurb) for Black Friday I might bite the bullet.

Back